• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Longbottom wouldn't have started 2014 in the top 3 or 4 tight heads in Australia. His rise in 2014 was irrelevant once he announced he was leaving. It's ridiculous to expect that a player in this situation would ever be on a top up contract.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I never said he was our best tighthead. I just think he is underrated. Don't put words in someone's mouth it is weak.

If you think that the Mowen issue was mostly about spending time with his family, we need to stop this discussion now.

Well I wonder what I'm basing that on.. only the words directly out his mouth?

FWIW, I rate Longbottom too, I'd prefer him over Alexander but he decided to move and no one else is to blame. Hopefully he develops a bit more over there and learns NH scrummaging tactics/techniques and comes back a better player.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Longbottom wouldn't have started 2014 in the top 3 or 4 tight heads in Australia. His rise in 2014 was irrelevant once he announced he was leaving. It's ridiculous to expect that a player in this situation would ever be on a top up contract.

Okay I need to clear this up- I didn't say that he deserved a top up. I am saying that something is wrong at the ARU if a prop who is not considered in the top group of props is capable of going to another country, who it is generally considered has a much better scrum than ours, and make their match day 22. Is that unreasonable?

Talk of top ups and Karmichael Hunt is simply a reflection of my opinion that ARU priorities are mixed up.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
But if you're not saying he should get a top up why does the ARU have to do with anything? Did the Force offer him another contract, is he the highest paid prop in their squad?

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
FWIW, I rate Longbottom too, I'd prefer him over Alexander but he decided to move and no one else is to blame. Hopefully he develops a bit more over there and learns NH scrummaging tactics/techniques and comes back a better player.

Definitely something we can agree on. It might be unfair of me to lay blame on the ARU. Let's leave this one there.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Had Longbottom even nailed down the starting tighthead spot before the start of this season? People were still talking about Manu.

What could have the ARU done in this case? Longbottom had come from way back at the start of the year to suddenly become in the top couple of tightheads in the country, then he chose to take the money (nothing against him there, it was a huge payrise) before he even had the chance of making the Wallaby squad for the first time.

How many players start rated well down in their position, to suddenly stand out by the middle of the year, then the ARU suddenly offer than a top up with never representing their country?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I rate Longbottom highly too, and wish he hadn't gone, but I agree there's nothing the ARU could have done short of offering a massive top up to an uncapped player in his late 20s mid year, which is unheard of.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Okay I need to clear this up- I didn't say that he deserved a top up. I am saying that something is wrong at the ARU if a prop who is not considered in the top group of props is capable of going to another country, who it is generally considered has a much better scrum than ours, and make their match day 22. Is that unreasonable?

Talk of top ups and Karmichael Hunt is simply a reflection of my opinion that ARU priorities are mixed up.

Would he have had a shot at being selected for England on 2012 or 2013 form? I would say he definitely wouldn't have.

2014 was the first year his form even brought up the concept of him playing for the Wallabies but by that point he'd announced he was heading to the UK.

His good form is obviously continuing there and he's now a shot to play for England. Likewise if he'd remained in Australia, he might be a shot at playing for the Wallabies this year or next.

It will always be easier for the ARU and Super Rugby teams to spend money to attract players than it will be to retain them. Susbtantial money will never be spent on an uncapped player to keep them in Australia.

caymantim

Herbert Moran (7)
Agreed. My point was that I was extremely impressed at how well he handled the step up... and how highly regarded he seems to be by his team mates as a result of these first two performances... Hence if it is possible, I think he should be a priority target to bring back for the Force and the Wallabies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Joel14

Frank Row (1)
On the topic of Longbottom, my sister is good friends with his girlfriend and from what I've heard he left for a couple of reasons. Firstly there was the money and secondly they both wanted to travel Europe. He knew that his chances for playing in the wallabies were slim. Yes he probably of been picked in the squad but to actually get a game....very slim. I mean look at Hodgson. He probably has the highest stats from super rugby. Played like a champion and probably his best season to date and yet he still can't get picked in the starting team over Fardy. Longbottom is a great player and I was sad to see him go. But from what I've heard he will be coming back next year. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he comes back half way through the super rugby however I don't think he would be eligible for the Wallabies.

caymantim

Herbert Moran (7)
On the topic of Longbottom, my sister is good friends with his girlfriend and from what I've heard he left for a couple of reasons. Firstly there was the money and secondly they both wanted to travel Europe. He knew that his chances for playing in the wallabies were slim. Yes he probably of been picked in the squad but to actually get a game..very slim. I mean look at Hodgson. He probably has the highest stats from super rugby. Played like a champion and probably his best season to date and yet he still can't get picked in the starting team over Fardy. Longbottom is a great player and I was sad to see him go. But from what I've heard he will be coming back next year. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he comes back half way through the super rugby however I don't think he would be eligible for the Wallabies.

That all makes sense, and a pragmatic (and probably accurate) view of his situation. Good news he intends to come back... but if the commentators are correct... what do you think he'd do if England came calling?

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Local Trio Earns Inaugural 'Future Force' Scholarships.

The local trio of Richard Hardwick (flanker), Kane Koteka (flanker) and Harry Scoble (hooker) have been awarded the inaugural scholarships for the Western Force’s ‘Future Force’ program.

The Future Force is a full-time academy set up for outstanding local players as well as talent identified from across Australia and overseas.

In keeping with the Western Force’s philosophy, the program provides a holistic approach to the individual’s overall personal development by fast-tracking their rugby through a full-time program that addresses the players’ physical and rugby requirements, while also providing planning and support for their educational and vocational aspirations.

- See more at: http://www.westernforce.com.au/arti...uture-force-scholarships#sthash.g6KlaU3F.dpuf

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Relatively early tours and mostly home games to finish. Probably the better way to do it.

Force (don't play Crusaders & Lions)

1. (A) Waratahs
2. (A) Reds
3. (H) Hurricanes
4. (A) Brumbies
5. (H) Rebels
6. (A) Bulls
7. (A) Sharks
8. Bye
9. (H) Cheetahs
10. (H) Stormers
11. (A) Chiefs
12. (A) Blues
13. (H) Waratahs
14. Bye
15. (H) Highlanders
16. (H) Reds
17. (H) Brumbies
18. (A) Rebels

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
That travel arrangement is actually really nice, two week tour of NZ, two week tour of the eat cost of Aus, two week tour of SA. A second two week tour of the east coast of Aus maybe would be the only improvement.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Force have had the rough end of the pineapple on the travel front the last few years (2013: two trip to NZ's South Island!), considering their unique geographical position it's only just they get a good schedule in 2015.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well then.

Saracens' Australian prop Kieran Longbottom has declared his interest in playing for England.
Longbottom signed for Saracens from Western Force ahead of this season and impressed on his debut against current England loose-head Joe Marler. Although he was born in Perth, he was surprised to know he qualifies for England through his late maternal grandmother.
"I did not think that I was eligible to play for England," Longbottom told The Times. "I thought I would come here for a couple of years, become a better scrummager and go back and have another crack at it [playing for Australia]. My manager asked do you have any British grandparents and I remembered my mum mentioning that her mum was born in England. It just popped up. I didn't even know that's how it worked."
Longbottom, who plays at tight-head, added: "To represent England would be a definite honour. I have seen the history behind England and it's epic. To represent that would be a great honour.
"It is one of those things that I took this opportunity when it came up and if another opportunity arose because of that then I would try to take that as well. If you open one door then other doors might open as well."

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I've seen him play for Sarries - he did OK too.

Commentators Nick Mullins and Lawrence Dallaglio gave him a big wrap.

Status
Not open for further replies.