• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
For now he is a marquee player but they are hoping to use the loophole to get him qualified for Australia again.

Are they really? He's not a 7s player in terms of frame so they'd have to get a lot of people to 'play ball'.

The ARU would have to want it, the 7s program would have to agree with it, the Force would have to agree with it, and he would have to want it.

I mean, it's just such a ridiculously strange proposition. Not saying you're lying but where did you hear this? I can't see it pulling off.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Are they really? He's not a 7s player in terms of frame so they'd have to get a lot of people to 'play ball'.

The ARU would have to want it, the 7s program would have to agree with it, the Force would have to agree with it, and he would have to want it.

I mean, it's just such a ridiculously strange proposition. Not saying you're lying but where did you hear this? I can't see it pulling off.
www.couriermail.com.au/sport/rugby/payto-panda-george-smith-could-represent-tonga-at-olympics-gold-brigade-a-success/story-fnjbavwm-1227024741147?nk=a2b098475e35577f88f6b1d28abf42d8

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

That's even more iffy, so Australia needs to go to the Oceania tournament (effectively a repechage) and several levels of administration in different organisations have to rubber stamp it?

I'm more happy about Smith, Halangahu, and Gerrad going to Tonga than the other way around TBH.

Also, what lock shortage? Luke Jones is a bloody decent player and he can't get in the squad and Horwill is seriously experienced and he can't make the 23. That's not even mentioning that Fardy goes fine there in a pinch.

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
Had a really good first half, making breaks, solid tackles and throwing some really good passes.
Wasn't quite as impressive in the second half, but still solid, with some nice touches.

All in all, looked damn good for a first game back. Still waiting for him to recapture his tackle busting abilities of 2013 though!

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Tell us something we don't know Kate (with no disrespect to you).

The ARU were too broke to help keep Cummins in Australia yet had enough to top up Hunt's contract. No disparity in Australian rugby at all.

Kate Elizabeth

Herbert Moran (7)
Tell us something we don't know Kate (with no disrespect to you).

The ARU were too broke to help keep Cummins in Australia yet had enough to top up Hunt's contract. No disparity in Australian rugby at all.

And I think that in terms if reaching those who aren't diehards, Cummins did a pretty bloody brilliant job - absolutely quoteable. Yes Hunt is known to leaguies, but so was Cummins and delivered to both audiences - Union and league. Whereas Hunt is still on the fence for those of us who question his injuries and long term absence from Union. And he isn't going to bring anyone from AFL with him, so totally dud deal no matter how I break down the comparison.

I am not anti-Hunt, but even as a reds stalwart, I would rather have Cummins playing for the Force.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
And I think that in terms if reaching those who aren't diehards, Cummins did a pretty bloody brilliant job - absolutely quoteable. Yes Hunt is known to leaguies, but so was Cummins and delivered to both audiences - Union and league. Whereas Hunt is still on the fence for those of us who question his injuries and long term absence from Union. And he isn't going to bring anyone from AFL with him, so totally dud deal no matter how I break down the comparison.

I am not anti-Hunt, but even as a reds stalwart, I would rather have Cummins playing for the Force.
The Cummins situation did bring about these contract changes, so hopefully his Japanese team don't make the finals, and he can come back early to the West to make his play for a spot for the RWC team. :)

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Were too broke, or couldn't come close to the massive amount of money likely on offer from Japan?

Cummins would've already been a top up.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
There would be 3rd party money in Hunts contract that probably wasn't there for Cummins.

Consider also Cummins is a winger and we already have a few big money wingers like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), O'Connor and Speight, and some less big money wingers like Tomane who still do the job.

Who else do we have at 12 or 15 (Hunts likely positions) apart from To'omua and Folau - just Beale pretty much. So there is an element of adding depth and spending the money where needed as well.

Lastly, the door is still open for cummins to maybe come back after this Japanese season and make the world cup squad, whereas they only had one shot at signing Hunt.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
It's a bit tricky comparing the Cummins situation, it wasn't just the money he left for, but the shorter season as well.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
At the end of the day, it is done now and there is no point banging on too much about it. BUT the ARU instituted a policy whereby only players who have been in the Wallabies set up for 2 years can get a top up. That is the main reason Ben Mowen left. From this point out the ARU really need to keep to that policy and put the onus on the franchise to stump up the cash for converts. All of these star backs don't make up for our lack of depth in the forwards.

caymantim

Herbert Moran (7)
There would be 3rd party money in Hunts contract that probably wasn't there for Cummins.

Consider also Cummins is a winger and we already have a few big money wingers like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), O'Connor and Speight, and some less big money wingers like Tomane who still do the job.

Who else do we have at 12 or 15 (Hunts likely positions) apart from To'omua and Folau - just Beale pretty much. So there is an element of adding depth and spending the money where needed as well.

Lastly, the door is still open for cummins to maybe come back after this Japanese season and make the world cup squad, whereas they only had one shot at signing Hunt.

...at 12 we have Godwin, Lealiifano, Inman...

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)
Were too broke, or couldn't come close to the massive amount of money likely on offer from Japan?
Cummins would've already been a top up.

I've read in several articles that Cummins didn't have an ARU top-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.