• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Signing NZ wingers.. fuck me. Not like we a shortage of outside backs in this country. What's the fucking point of the NRC.

I don't mind overseas forwards, we generally lack them here but backs I just can't fathom. Not to mention Mitchell Scott isn't that good.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Signing NZ wingers.. fuck me. Not like we a shortage of outside backs in this country. What's the fucking point of the NRC.

I don't mind overseas forwards, we generally lack them here but backs I just can't fathom. Not to mention Mitchell Scott isn't that good.

This was a Force decision, not an Australian rugby decision. I'd accept your point if we hadn't also signed a local winger (Brad Lacey). If there were so many outside backs running around, why did the Tahs bring in Taqele Naiyaravoro over from league?

T

TOCC

This was a Force decision, not an Australian rugby decision. I'd accept your point if we hadn't also signed a local winger (Brad Lacey). If there were so many outside backs running around, why did the Tahs bring in Taqele Naiyaravoro over from league?

Tahs have a rich history or signing former league and kiwi backs... Tuqiri, Rogers, Cross, Sailor, Blacklock and Tahu.. Then you also have All Black Sosene Anesi and fellow kiwi Afa Pakalani.

I really hope the Force can recruit the honey badger again, he will be good for the Force and Wallabies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Good for the Wallabies? You reckon he's better than Speight, JOC (James O'Connor), Horne, Tomane or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)?

Not as if the Tahs needed to be brought into this but I've got nothing wrong with leaguies brought over if they're Australian. I never liked the signings of Pakalani (but he's now Aus qualified) or Anesi anyway. The problem with Mitchell Scott is he'll 90% likely go back to NZ once he's contract is done.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Badger won't play for the Wallabies anyway, his Japanese club won't release him.

There was plenty of talent in the NRC who should have been given a shot, like McKenzie.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Badger won't play for the Wallabies anyway, his Japanese club won't release him.

There was plenty of talent in the NRC who should have been given a shot, like McKenzie.
Agreed. Don't understand why we recruited a rookie Kiwi winger instead of someone from Australia.

I followed Tasman fervently this year and the year previous, and cannot recall any games where Mitchell Scott starred - that is to say he played regularly.

I can recall guys like James Lowe, Bryce Heem, Robbie Malneek, David Havili doing well in the back 3 but not Scott.

Established Kiwi guys I can understand, but not up-and-comers.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Good for the Wallabies? You reckon he's better than Speight, JOC (James O'Connor), Horne, Tomane or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)?

Who are you talking about?

Not as if the Tahs needed to be brought into this but I've got nothing wrong with leaguies brought over if they're Australian. I never liked the signings of Pakalani (but he's now Aus qualified) or Anesi anyway. The problem with Mitchell Scott is he'll 90% likely go back to NZ once he's contract is done.

Only they do because you are hanging shit on one franchise with the implication that your franchise doesn't behave in much the same way. Or the others for that matter. Henry Speight was brought over from NZ. Was that such a bad idea? At least you are fair in similar past signings with the Tahs. On Taqele, he isn't Australian- he is Fijian. The only difference is that he is Australian eligible. By the way, good job at pulling numbers out of thin air. What is to say that Taqele won't go back to league? Plenty of others have. If he doesn't make the Wallabies in the next two years, and I am pretty sure he won't, I would bet an arm and a leg he either returns to league or goes to France/UK.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I had thought it was impossible for a club to not release a player for international duty within the international window. Isn't that why the French clubs offer underhanded bonuses to PI players not to join the RWC?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I had thought it was impossible for a club to not release a player for international duty within the international window. Isn't that why the French clubs offer underhanded bonuses to PI players not to join the RWC?

I believe a player can sign a contract saying they're not available for national duties though which would bump up their club contracts.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
The issue with the cummins contract atm is that his club is happy for him to play for the wallabies but as yet won't sign of on the force deal. Needs to be worked out by the end of the month otherwise he won't be here next year.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I had thought the IRB "World Rugby" did not allow that and that it required underhanded arrangements. Just from memory it was an issue with French clubs releasing Fijians at the last RWC. It wasn't the club holding them back but that they were choosing to stay, "for money." the IRB was trying to figure out how to fix the issue, again from memory. Pretty sure you're not allowed to write a contract that prevents you from national selection within the Test window.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
as Gaffa has just said, the club is not prohibiting him from playing for Oz. They are more than happy for him too.

The issue is the ARU's stance on not picking OS based players. So he needs to play Super Rugby to be eligible and that's where his Japanese club is drawing the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.