• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Long post but stay with me:
I want us to retain all 5 Super Rugby teams. I look back in history and see when touring sides use to go to WA and Melboune and play the local sides. When rugby was quite strong in Melbourne in the 1930s but through events such as WWII rugby lost its way. I often think what rugby would be in those states if it had continued. We now have decent support in WA and VIC, I hate for future rugby supporting generations to look at this time and wonder why we threw the ground support we have now and wonder what it could have been.

A recent tweet by Campo brought it home to me.

He had just visited a local RU club in WA. You can see the room is full. Without the Force, who do these kids aspire to play for (ignore the few kiwi jerseys :) )

I hate it when critics just say a national plan is just a ploy to put dots on a map.
WA rugby should start a video campaign with players, families, supporters saying,

"I'm not a dot on a map, I'm a player and I want to play for the Force when I grow up'

'We're not just a dot on a map, we a family who sit in the Sea of Blue cheering on the Force on a Saturday night'

'I'm not a dot on a map, I'm a mum who is so proud my PERTH raised Son now pulls on the Force jersey for those who made the sacrifices to get him here. His family, his team mates his coaches.'

'We're not just a dot on a map. We're rugby supporters and players helping bring this great game to others in this great state.'

Any good videographers out there? This could be a very powerful yet inexpensive social media campaign to support the Force.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That's a great post p.Tah and what a great tweet from Campo. What a legend taking the time to go to a local rugby club in a non-fashionable part of Perth to show his face. People in WA love the game, don't you worry about that. It doesn't have the profile of Aussie Rules, but the folks who are into it are very passionate.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sidebar - If anyone is watching the NPC grand final, David McDuling has been very good for Canterbury. Somewhat lucky try a side, he's been busy.

You guys definitely need locks, having only Coleman, and then MAYBE Phillip/Arnold II. Unless you want McCalman to be a starting lock, you guys should aggressively pursue this bloke. He's Aussie, a good leader, and is (publicly at least) uncontracted.

You should also look at signing Richard Kingi who's been playing NPC for Tasman. Apparently while recovering from a liver failure that fucked up his rugby career he was living in Perth and only moved to Tasman to pursue rugby earlier this year. This shows, he's got connections to Perth and he's not contracted either.

M

Moono75

Sidebar - If anyone is watching the NPC grand final, David McDuling has been very good for Canterbury. Somewhat lucky try a side, he's been busy.

You guys definitely need locks, having only Coleman, and then MAYBE Phillip/Arnold II. Unless you want McCalman to be a starting lock, you guys should aggressively pursue this bloke. He's Aussie, a good leader, and is (publicly at least) uncontracted.

You should also look at signing Richard Kingi who's been playing NPC for Tasman. Apparently while recovering from a liver failure that fucked up his rugby career he was living in Perth and only moved to Tasman to pursue rugby earlier this year. This shows, he's got connections to Perth and he's not contracted either.
Force also have Ben Matwijow who played for the Reds and then cut his teeth for Canterbury and the Naki in the ITM Cup. Should be good cover for the Force.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
McDuling would be good. I'm sure we'd take him and I imagine few other Super teams in Oz are looking for more locks. Apart from maybe the Tahs.

Coleman, Matwijow, McDuling and either Philip or Arnold mk 2 would be a good mixture. Really hoping for a more solid set piece in 2017.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
McDuling COULD be good, but if you Sandgropers entertain any thoughts of signing him make sure you get a complete clearance from your medicoes, David spent five years at the Reds, almost all of it in a medical ward.

I've watched David since he was an outstanding schoolboy; I sincerely hope he comes back to Oz rugby fit and well and performs to his undoubted ability. We seem to be well covered at the Wallabies for locks ATM but some of the Super sides are a bit skinny for depth, Force and Tahs for starters.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
McDuling COULD be good, but if you Sandgropers entertain any thoughts of signing him make sure you get a complete clearance from your medicoes, David spent five years at the Reds, almost all of it in a medical ward.

I've watched David since he was an outstanding schoolboy; I sincerely hope he comes back to Oz rugby fit and well and performs to his undoubted ability. We seem to be well covered at the Wallabies for locks ATM but some of the Super sides are a bit skinny for depth, Force and Tahs for starters.

He wasn't injured at the Sharks or the Saders.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
This ownership scheme is really just an interest free loan to the franchise. Without ongoing capital injection I don't see what it changes, unless the turnout is so significant it can't be ignored. I guess that is where the challenge lies. Will be interesting to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N

NTT

If we raise the $5 million that is the target then the Force can buy back their IP and fund the next 4years of operations without needing to get an bailout payment. Also the investors get representation on the Forces Board of Directors, 3 seats i believe. In other words the Force would be self sufficient for 4 years and the ARU can keep bailing out the Brumbies and Rebels.
There is also a bit of rumour about a new sponsor coming on board.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think it will also increase the 'buy in' of 5000 members, feeling apart of something is powerful.

Still, yes it has that 'kick startery' feel of 'give us money because you like us'.

N

NTT

"Give us money because you like us"

Isn't that the whole driving factor behind sponsorships and memberships?

We could always just sit around and scratch our arses waiting for a sugar daddy to hopefully bail us out for a year or two until they realise they are just throwing money into an ever growing black hole. Or we could innovate and find different/better ways to do things.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

We could always just sit around and scratch our arses waiting for a sugar daddy to hopefully bail us out for a year or two until they realise they are just throwing money into an ever growing black hole. Or we could innovate and find different/better ways to do things.

Sugar Mommy Gina would fit the couch

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)

Bit of a sore spot I take it.

Sponsors pay for brand exposure and members pay for entertainment.

These "fan owners" are paying for voting rites because their shares are non-transferable and thus not financially worth anything. In fact, the use of ownership is interesting - will these fans actually own the Force?

I think it's a nice idea, but the value proposition is questionable. If the Rebels did it I would pay, but look at it objectively.

N

NTT

Bit of a sore spot I take it.

Yeah it is. Having known a lot of those involved in the running the Force it gets the blood flowing.
I just don't like the shit fight Australian rugby is inevitably going to have over this whole cutting a franchise issue, funding issue and Wallaby performance. So much doom and gloom ahead is going to tarnish what is essentially the best sport in the world in Australia. Not looking forward to it. Not looking forward to the fallout either.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah it is. Having known a lot of those involved in the running the Force it gets the blood flowing.
I just don't like the shit fight Australian rugby is inevitably going to have over this whole cutting a franchise issue, funding issue and Wallaby performance. So much doom and gloom ahead is going to tarnish what is essentially the best sport in the world in Australia. Not looking forward to it. Not looking forward to the fallout either.

I've never heard anyone credible say the force are going to be scrapped. It's just a suggested idea from the ARU and one of many.

I agree that it'd be a terrible loss.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
I would go as far as saying that it is a Georgina Robinson/Spiro campaign, both are the drivers for "Doom and gloom". Best thing that ANY rugby supporter in this country can do is buy a Super Rugby membership for your favourite club.

Status
Not open for further replies.