• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NTT

1200 have signed up for the ownership initiative so far and counting.

N

NTT

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/s...could-help-save-western-force-says-aru/#page1

The radical Western Force plan for fan ownership of the club would have a major influence on the future landscape of Super Rugby in Australia, says ARU boss Bill Pulver.

Play Video

VIDEO Wallaby flanker Michael Hooper wins John Eales medal. Source: 7 Sport.
The Force is under threat amid speculation that one of the five Australian Super franchises could be culled after next season.
They have been under prolonged financial pressure and formed an ownership alliance with the ARU earlier this year, lifting a $4 million debt from their shoulders.
But as revealed in The Weekend West the club, in a campaign tagged "Own The Force", is on the verge of issuing at least 5000 certificates of ownership, costing about $1000 each.
The buy-back scheme would bring a much-needed cash injection and give fans a say in the franchise.
The ARU can remove the Super licence of any of its clubs, including the privately owned Melbourne Rebels, if governing body SANZAAR demands change.
Pulver has welcomed the Force initiative, saying all clubs need to investigate their financial sustainability.
"If our Super Rugby clubs were put in a fundamentally stronger position financially that would influence the decision," Pulver told The West Australian.
"I'm encouraged by the efforts coming out of the west.
"If there is strong financial support for any franchise that gave it a clearly sustainable financial future... I'm all ears.
"The dialogue that's going on out west is incredibly relevant. If there is some new news that goes to the heart of our financial sustainability I want to hear about it.
"If there is any new financial news that could impact our final decision, if they are able to find potential partners or plans that result in a more sustainable environment for rugby, that's a great thing.
"To me it would be an important piece of the overall mix."
The eight-member SANZAAR board, representing the South African, New Zealand, Australian and Argentinian rugby unions, meets in Luxembourg on November 17 to discuss three options - maintaining the competition at 18 teams or reducing it by two or three clubs.
Pulver does not expect any decision before the next meeting in December.

N

NTT

I would go as far as saying that it is a Georgina Robinson/Spiro campaign, both are the drivers for "Doom and gloom". Best thing that ANY rugby supporter in this country can do is buy a Super Rugby membership for your favourite club.

The 4 major rugby journos (Robinson, Spiro, Wayne Smith, Pandaram) are very well informed through official and unofficial press statements. The general reporting on the future of super rugby has been very negative and is affecting the sports image.
I am disappointed to have not heard any official rebuke from the ARU or RUPA to put the rumours to bed.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I would go as far as saying that it is a Georgina Robinson/Spiro campaign, both are the drivers for "Doom and gloom". Best thing that ANY rugby supporter in this country can do is buy a Super Rugby membership for your favourite club.

My view is that the rugby journalists in this country are the mouth pieces for varying political forces in the game and very little of it is to the sport's long term benefit.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I am disappointed to have not heard any official rebuke from the ARU or RUPA to put the rumours to bed.

There's been some, it just hasn't been given the same media attention by the outlets for obvious reasons - it doesn't suit their narrative.

Dave McDuling and Pete Samu were both very useful in the ITM final on the weekend. Force should grab both if possible
As a rare Victorian product, I'd hope we'd sign him. That being said, I believe he's locked up in NZ.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
I agree that they are well informed and probably know a lot about the game yet I feel that they contribute nothing positive - and I am not basing this on one article. Spiro's Monday rant on The Roar is the most negative garbage ever. Throughout the year he has criticised anything and everything in sight and offers little in the way of options.

The opinion that we need to cut back to 4 teams is rubbish, The Force are showing the way forward in my opinion. How many clubs around the world run a profit? I read an article today that the owner of Stade Francais is trying to sell the team as he has spent millions, even the Toulon owner is talking about unloading the team as it is a "Labour of love".

I am a Tahs fanatic and I would jump at the chance to "own" a piece of my team!

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So with Godwin and Taps gone, who will partner Billy Meakes in the midfield?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.