• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
Considering that this announcement came after the ARU meeting regarding options for Super Rugby does it mean that there is support from the ARU in 5 teams or at least not cutting the Force?

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

N

NTT

Well what else does the Force have to do? They are on the verge of finalizing an injection of $6.5 million into the coffers to alleviate the extra funding from the ARU alliance agreement, which by the way ensures the ARU must advocate for the survival of the franchise until 2020. If the agreement is broken i think you can expect a long and costly legal battle between the ARU and RugbyWA which surely both parties want to avoid. We have WA grown players coming through the system adding depth to the playing stocks in Australia. We have a vibrant and ever growing and passionate local rugby community. We have been closer than the Rebels to making the finals even though we have had nowhere near the extra funding the Rebels have received. We have the support of the WA government through sponsorship and the $100 million upgrades of NIB and RugbyWA headquarters. We provide an extra timezone for the broadcasters. Apart from onfield results, which fluctuate for every team, what more can be done?
What else do they have to do? The speculation surrounding this is ridiculous. All because some arrogant out of touch journalists want to stir some shit. Are you really that surprised that we despise the Sydney media? You shouldn't be. They have been trying to destabilize and destroy the Force since its inception. It pisses them off we are still around and will be around for many years to come. Force all day!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
look I want the Force to remain, but I think it's pretty simple.

Win games and pack the stadium.

It's that simple.

That happens and they can't take it away.

I can't tell you just how happy that I am that this criteria was not applied during the Reds RG era.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I can't tell you just how happy that I am that this criteria was not applied during the Reds RG era.

with the greatest of respect winning a title provides some latitude. As does making the finals. This has happened in the last 6 years.

If the Force had won a title in the last 5-10 years perhaps there would be greater latitude provided to them.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I suspect that national coverage and commercial bone fides will top any list of considerations. Field performance must enter the equation, simply because there must politically be a metric that locks in Qld and NSW.

I honestly see the Force, playing their cards right, not on the chopping list.

The genie is out of the bottle, I think 5 is the only answer - whether or not it is 'right'. There will be similar escaped genies in SA whivh will include the Kings and two home finals.

Any result that works in Aus will need more than "mediation" skills.

Force Fans, DO get to the games. Do what you can for commercial stability. It's far from decreed.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I am just struggling with why are only recent expansion to 18 teams in Super Rugby why they would then cut teams as always takes time to bed down new things and feels kneejerk reaction where would be better before resort to such a drastic option that a) tinker with conference format and who is in each conference b) tinker with general format/product (as these days you can't just keep your product static but got to constantly evolve it to ensure relevant).

Cutting any Oz team would be major step backwards given contribution each make. Rebels privately owned so off the radar, whilst would you really cut the Brumbies given success they have had and that leaves Force which has made great inroads in developing local products into Wallabies and inroads into market outside of East Coast of Australia where league has no presence at a professional level. If Force exited, you can bet league would swoop and establish a NRL team in the west to fill the void. Whilst recent initiative to raise funds shows they are showing financial innovation at its best. BTW where is that at? Have they issued shares and raised the $5m (I think that was the figure).

From a long term planning perspective if ARU supported cutting a team that would show to me they have NFI in terms of long term strategic planning to grow and protect the game in this country.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
With due respect about winning games....in fairness the Force have not operated under a level playing field.....starting to even up more with more wallabies which of course gives top up ARU central payments to retain high calibre players....

Better support for the Force only come in recent times with sponsor etc from WA Government department etc and ARU initiatives

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I would really like to see the Force do well. They are building the local talent nicely and developing a pathway for WA players. Australian rugby needs to take a long term view of building the capability in the newer areas and provide the support to these teams, like the AFL has done. Yes the AFL has lots of money but their investment in development of grassroots in the newer areas like QLD has paid off and I would like to see the ARU doing similar things with more development staff, free tickets to Super Rugby games for junior club players etc.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
I was seriously considering buying in to that (and officially making the Force my second team) but was put off by the uncertainty around Super Rugby. I would hate to buy in and then the Force get punted from the comp.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
Alright people, Super Rugby is back this week and we play the Tahs on Saturday. Predictions?

My lineup would be:
1. Cowan
2. TPN
3. Faulkner
4. Phillip
5. Coleman
6. Stander
7. Hodgson (Haylett-Petty if he isnt fit to play)
8. Naisarani
9. Louwrens
10. Lance
11. Peni
12. Meakes
13. Rona
14. Morahan
15. Haylett-Petty

16. Tessman
17. Daley
18. Vui
19. R. Haylett-Petty (Koteka if Ross starts)
20. Grant
21. Coleman
22. Brache
23. Masirewa

I got the backline right, way off with the forwards though.

N

NTT

Loving the black and gold jersey! Some of the white playing strips we wore were horrible and had no real connection to our state colours.

N

NTT

look I want the Force to remain, but I think it's pretty simple.

Win games and pack the stadium.

It's that simple.

That happens and they can't take it away.

So by that standard all of Australias teams should be on the chopping block considering last years results and crowd figures.
The ARU and NZRU need to take back control of SAANZAR and tell the South Africans to fall in line or get stuffed. Bringing in Argentina has been a disaster and the Sunwolves were an after thought, thank you South Africa. I doubt the ARU has the balls to make such a stand though even though it would be in Australias interests to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.