• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
yep,Perth will revert back to being a rugby backwater(abeit with some bloody good club players around) as it was when I arrived 40 years ago

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Posted this in where to thread but probably better here

-------------------
Ok here is a thought - if Force get culled.

Improve Sunwolves by playing games they normally would play in Singapore in Perth and allow recruitment / allocation of say 4-6 WA players for Sunwolves squad.

Ok would be better if Force had a team in itself and own right but looking at some better plan B's for WA rugby. Surely with poor performance of Sunwolves options like this WA rugby could look at and be in discussions with Sunwolves on as plan B's.

I can't see this ever happening and I doubt the Sunwolves would be interested but increase that 4-6 to 10 and I would get on board with that. Not by preference but it potentially would allow the Spirit to continue to operate. The Sunwolves are poor and would be better for a handful of the Force players (unfortunately our better local players play in areas the Sunwolves are probably strongest- outside backs, backrowers, hooker).

I would rather merge with the Sunwolves than any of the other bastards.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
I think the Rebels statement is a good thing for the WF, it shows that for all intents and purposes they are in the same situation as the WF.

For mine on the sustainable criteria of Finance, High performance, Governance and Sponsorship the WF is well ahead and the easy best bet for the short to med term at least.
It is also a decision that I think the majority of Rugby people would be happy with. Judged on the overwhelming number of pro WF comments that I have seen. Making this decision even easier.

But, also for mine the ARU finds it difficult to just step away from the potentially large Melb market. There could even be some broadcaster arrangements that they are not telling us about.

The problem the WF has is that the Melb market is potentially very big, tho also a very hard nut to crack.
The problem for the Rebels is imo their private ownership structure, which adds another layer of complexity for what seems no financial advantage, in fact to date a large negative financial advantage.
With the added issue that they might just walk away at anytime. This would not be the case with the typical rugby structure we see in all other states and whose main driver is being involved in rugby.

From a top down medium term solution, to the immediate problems faced by the ARU, I would much rather deal with the simple rugby structure than a private owner. Therefore keep the WF.
Then in due course re enter the Vic market via the VRU to realise the longer term objectives.

Edit: maybe a simple solution to this impasse, assuming you want the keep WF solution, would be simply the last on first off criteria. Cannot be argued against and takes the perceived bias out of the decision.

Sustainability Criteria:
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...n-after-avoiding-the-axe-20170413-gvkkg9.html

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I tell you what, I'll be really surprised if RL doesn't swoop on Perth if the Force/Spirit and Future Force all go down the gurgler.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
If the decision does go V the WF it won't have anything to do directly with Mr Cox or the Rebels. It will be imo a decision made by Foxtel.
You could be right re RL though it wouldn't interest me, we will support our local rugby club for as long as our sons are playing but nothing more.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
It will be imo a decision made by Foxtel.

Good point, I haven't heard this talked about much.

As fans we all talk about grass routes, development pathways, fan bases, but TV is the big one. Someone mentioned a while back that the new league structure meant the Perth time zone wasn't as attractive for broadcasters, though IDK why that's the case.

T

TOCC

Good point, I haven't heard this talked about much.

As fans we all talk about grass routes, development pathways, fan bases, but TV is the big one. Someone mentioned a while back that the new league structure meant the Perth time zone wasn't as attractive for broadcasters, though IDK why that's the case.

Because global markets blah blah blah..

Perth has always been an attractive option for the seamless supply of live rugby that it's time zone allows, the 9:30AEST time slot is one that can't be filled otherwise, and broadcasters like the concept of been able to have live rugby from 5:30AEST to 11:30 AEST. Perths prime time in South Africa is roughly 2:30pm, so it's obvious why it was seen as an attractive option for global broadcasters.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Because global markets blah blah blah..

Perth has always been an attractive option for the seamless supply of live rugby that it's time zone allows, the 9:30AEST time slot is one that can't be filled otherwise, and broadcasters like the concept of been able to have live rugby from 5:30AEST to 11:30 AEST. Perths prime time in South Africa is roughly 2:30pm, so it's obvious why it was seen as an attractive option for global broadcasters.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
Convenient of Phil Waugh to have a go at Force fans over only having 8k against the Kings, yet failed to mention the 7.5k the Rebels got for an Aussie Derby on a Saturday night.

Reactions: Jon

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I get the impression that Waugh is very much an establishment man and loathe to criticise anything involved with NSW rugby or the ARU. I remember his comments with the whole controversy around Link and the imbroligo with KB (Kurtley Beale) and Di Patston and I thought he fully tipped the bucket on Link and toed the party line. I also saw his remarks on Fox re: this situation and he seemed to fully back the ARU (again). In each case he mouthed the empty platitudes of course, but he just came across as happy to throw anyone under the bus and not rock the establishment boat.

I don't know the man and I'm probably being unfair, but in the majority of times I've seen him interviewed on controversial matters in the game here I've come away thinking "screw you Phil". Maybe it's just the vibe.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Convenient of Phil Waugh to have a go at Force fans over only having 8k against the Kings, yet failed to mention the 7.5k the Rebels got for an Aussie Derby on a Saturday night.
We'll see how the Tahs go with the Kings this Friday. I don't think it's going to be a stellar crowd.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Will the government hand him the ground signage rights at NIB, or can they? I assume the soccer team plays there too and may have existing contracts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's really hard to tell. So many dynamics at play. On one hand you have a new government who have publicly come out and supported the Force staying. On the other hand the state is broke as we have to give all of our GST revenue away. You would imagine a new government would like a public win to help keep the Force, but if there is a financial implication to the state budget and they want to be seen to be sound financial managers they might use it as an opportunity to show their financial management credentials.

But I'd guess if they can swing it and make it seem like in the long run it costs the state nothing they will do it.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sounds like ONE of the 4 reckons that if his company takes control over the signage and ticketing aspects of the Force/ perhaps even the entire stadium for all usage (which must be approved by the government as it is a government facility) that he predicts this could be worth up to 50Mil over 10 years to the FORCE, but which I assume you would take away the money that the Force already make, as opposed to adding the 50mil on top and above what they already make. (Better off in the long run)

The others seem to want to back the team financially, already having bought large swathes of shares, but want to have a seat at the table, and looking towards a consortium for private purchase.

Expect the share allottment to buy back the contracts and IP from the ARU, and these guys to sit with the WA government and plan towards an independent and sustainable Force team, utilising their experience as Aus rugby leaders, tapping into the considerable private equity available in the West, and the hands on support of the WA government.

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yep, I quite like the idea that it's held as a series of events, rather than a season of fixtures, WA could slot in quite nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.