• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force vs Crusaders @ NIB Stadium - 2011R11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
By far the best performance of the season I thought, Ruggo. Ours isn't a flashy or complicated game plan, but last week the boys executed it very well. As others have pointed out, however, it will require huge intensity to match it with the Cru, even if they will be a little below strength.

You lot are one of the teams that tend to trouble them. Win or lose, in past years this has always been the game the Force have been up for.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Refs:
REFEREE AR1 AR2 TMO
Vinny Munro Nathan Pearce Julian Pritchard George Ayoub

Good luck Vinny!

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
This could be one of the games of the round. The Force are in very good form, and are welcoming back some very important players. The Crusaders are severely understrength, but still have a handy looking team and will be very keen to arrest last week's form slump. The Force always get 'up' for the Crusaders, and have been a bogey team for us. But the Highlanders did the Force no favors last weekend by physically hammering the Crusaders.

My main concern as a Crusaders fan is the direction we're getting from our halves. It's been very obvious over the last two weeks that when Ellis is off, the Crusaders lack direction and their structure falls apart. Matt Berquist is a solid player, but he's not yet shown he can lead a team around the park at Super level. Fotuali'i's decision making and accuracy of service has been poor since he's returned from injury. For some reason he looks to play the game at a manic pace, throwing the ball wide given any opportunity even from deep within his own alf. Whilst the Crusaders have a potent backline, over the years their success has been built on playing smart, structured rugby, not headless-chickens footy. Hopefully Kahn Fotuali'i has had a chance to analyse his last two games, and can settle down and provide the on-field leadership our team needs.

Whilst many Crusaders fans have been consumed with doom and gloom since last week's game, and we are understrength, we should be able to put together a competitive effort. We should be able to best the Foce at scrum time, and if we can hold our own at lineout time this advantage at the scrum could prove pivotal. Even with Poccok and Hodgson in the backrow, we should be able to at least gain parity at the breakdown, with McCaw, Todd and Whitelock all traditonally strong in this area. But it's in the midfield and outside backs where we should have a significant advantantage. If the forwards can match the intensity of the Force's pack, the Crusaders should have enough speed and quality in the backs to see them home.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
So there is another selection issue in the backs if both Smith and Inman are fit.

I wouldnt mind seeing Smith start if only for his pace. Not sure if Inman will get a berth in the starting XV now as Dellit and Cummins have both done well there in the last few weeks. So do we see:

Sheehan / Stannard
Ripia
Cummins / Dellit
JOC (James O'Connor)
Inman / Dellit / Cummins
Smith / Dellit / Cummins / Shepherd
Shepherd / Dellit

I dont know what my strongest backline is.
And this is unusual being a Force fan, having fit players to pick from!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The Force secret will be their disspline. No team can afford cards against the Saders. McAwe is always the best example of playing to the ref whistle. That will be the secret and a lesson for their players.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
The Force secret will be their disspline. No team can afford cards against the Saders. McAwe is always the best example of playing to the ref whistle. That will be the secret and a lesson for their players.

Yeah but the cheating refs will have it in for the Force, we all know that!

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Western Force

1. Pek Cowan 2. Nathan Charles 3. Matt Dunning 4. Sam Wykes 5. Nathan Sharpe (Captain) 6. Richard Brown 7. David Pocock 8. Ben McCalman 9. Brett Sheehan 10. Willie Ripia 11. David Smith 12. James O'Connor 13. Patrick Dellit 14. Nick Cummins 15. Cameron Shepherd

Reserves: 16. Ben Whittaker 17. Kieran Longbottom 18. Matt Hodgson 19. Tevita Metuisela 20. James Stannard 21. Rory Sidey 22. Alfie Mafi

Saturday, 30 April 2011 at nib Stadium
Kick-off: 8.05pm (AWST) 10.05pm (AEST)
Referees: Vinny Munro (New Zealand)
Assistant referees: Nathan Pearce (Australia), Julian Pritchard (Australia)
Television match official: George Ayoub (Australia)

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Hopefully Dunning gets a few more minutes this week. I actually think he was winding up for a big game last week until he was pulled.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Western Force

1. Pek Cowan 2. Nathan Charles 3. Matt Dunning 4. Sam Wykes 5. Nathan Sharpe (Captain) 6. Richard Brown 7. David Pocock 8. Ben McCalman 9. Brett Sheehan 10. Willie Ripia 11. David Smith 12. James O'Connor 13. Patrick Dellit 14. Nick Cummins 15. Cameron Shepherd

Reserves: 16. Ben Whittaker 17. Kieran Longbottom 18. Matt Hodgson 19. Tevita Metuisela 20. James Stannard 21. Rory Sidey 22. Alfie Mafi

Good team, though as I said in my earlier post the Crusaders should have the edge in the scrum and be able to target the Force;'s outside backs.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think the saders have the upper hand in the scrum but Sharpe is the lineout king so the set piece should even out.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Horan was wrong about Carter...

McCaw to play at no. 8:

CRUSADERS: Israel Dagg, Sean Maitland, Robbie Fruean, Sonny Bill Williams, Zac Guildford, Matt Berquist, Kahn Fotuali'I; Richie McCaw (capt), Matt Todd, George Whitelock, Chris Jack, Luke Romano, Ben Franks, Corey Flynn, Wyatt Crockett.

Reserves: Quentin MacDonald, Owen Franks, Joe Wheeler / Reuben Thorne, Jonathan Poff, Willi Heinz, Tom Marshall, Adam Whitelock.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The Rugby Club have just said that Carter and McCaw are back can anyone tell me if this is true?

McCaw is back. Completely untrue regarding Carter. My mail from a source very close to the Crusaders is that he's virtually certain to miss next week's game against the Stormers as well. Poor journalism by Horan, and the Rugby Club for not correcting Horan's comment.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Horan was wrong about Carter...

McCaw to play at no. 8:

CRUSADERS: Israel Dagg, Sean Maitland, Robbie Fruean, Sonny Bill Williams, Zac Guildford, Matt Berquist, Kahn Fotuali'I; Richie McCaw (capt), Matt Todd, George Whitelock, Chris Jack, Luke Romano, Ben Franks, Corey Flynn, Wyatt Crockett.

Reserves: Quentin MacDonald, Owen Franks, Joe Wheeler / Reuben Thorne, Jonathan Poff, Willi Heinz, Tom Marshall, Adam Whitelock.

Slim - the Crusaders team was named at lunchtime on Page 2 by Barbarian.

Status
Not open for further replies.