• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Sydney Rams . NRC Official Team Thread

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Lind, there is not a lot of info out there best I can find is from Wiki, not strictly a reliable source as it can be edited by anyone, but I cant find much else.

"The revived Rams team for 2014 was backed by a syndicate of private investors in partnership with four Sydney rugby clubs; Parramatta, Penrith, Southern Districts and West Harbour.[2] The Eastwood club was initially included in the partnership but withdrew prior to the 2014 season.[3] In 2017 the Rams were taken over by the Eastwood Rugby Union Club."

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Let's wait till the squad is announced, but I fear there may be few non-Woods and Marlins players in it (apart from those with a Tahs contract).

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Not too much info out in public yet, but the "Horned Army" is twitting and there is this:

https://rugbynews.net.au/nrc-manly-rams-2017-nrc/

It suggests that there will be "strong representation" from:
x Eastwood
x Manly
x West harbour
x Souths

And the following are also "aligned":
x Penrith
x Two Blues

Looks like Manly coach Brian Melrose joins John Manenti (Eastwood) in the coaching team.

And what may annoy some - "Western Sydney Rams" seems to now be "Greater Sydney Rams".

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Not too much info out in public yet, but the "Horned Army" is twitting and there is this:

https://rugbynews.net.au/nrc-manly-rams-2017-nrc/

It suggests that there will be "strong representation" from:
x Eastwood
x Manly
x West harbour
x Souths

And the following are also "aligned":
x Penrith
x Two Blues

Looks like Manly coach Brian Melrose joins John Manenti (Eastwood) in the coaching team.

And what may annoy some - "Western Sydney Rams" seems to now be "Greater Sydney Rams".

I'm fine with the Greater Sydney Rams as the name as that was the original name for the franchise in season one. It's not a bad idea when it comes to broadening the net so to speak re: support base. I wasn't too impressed about the suggestion of it being re-named the NW Rams after Eastwood had acquired it considering Papworth very public disdain for the structure initially.

What still annoys me a little is that all the games will be played in the NW of the city. I understand the round at Mac Uni as it's designed to link up with the 7s series but all their other home games are at Milner. I get that having purchased the rights that they are entitled to play the games where they choose but I tend to think the more central Concord Oval would be the better choice overall. Just my opinion. I'll see tune in to watch them.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Concord would work for me. Milner will be fine though.

I'm really looking forward to it, I haven't had a "local" team since the Stars got canned.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'm fine with the Greater Sydney Rams as the name as that was the original name for the franchise in season one. It's not a bad idea when it comes to broadening the net so to speak re: support base. I wasn't too impressed about the suggestion of it being re-named the NW Rams after Eastwood had acquired it considering Papworth very public disdain for the structure initially.

What still annoys me a little is that all the games will be played in the NW of the city. I understand the round at Mac Uni as it's designed to link up with the 7s series but all their other home games are at Milner. I get that having purchased the rights that they are entitled to play the games where they choose but I tend to think the more central Concord Oval would be the better choice overall. Just my opinion. I'll see tune in to watch them.

You know for all the talk about Western Sydney as growth region for rugby etc it just seems to me that Western Sydney is being shafted. I mean the Western Sydney Rams now become NW Rams and Penrith and Parramatta as affiliates....Please!!!

Parramatta and Penrith have not been looked after in Shute Shield by the old private schoolboys network that runs the SS and I think personally this stinks and makes the ARU's messages about the West being an important corridor for Rugby just a big wank fest with little substance.

Yet again Rugby as just not got real about trying to expand beyond its traditional private school roots and embracing Western Sydney as all talk but little action. Complete load of croc personally and just reconfirms to me why rugby in this country is struggling.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I mean the Western Sydney Rams now become NW Rams and Penrith and Parramatta as affiliates..Please!!!

Where does "NW Rams" come from? I've been looking for it, haven't found it - outside of disparagement on this thread.

I'd imagine that Penrith and Parramatta become affiliates as the team wants to open to the west but neither of those teams have offered much. I could be wrong, but I'm looking and can't see much to the contrary.

As I understand it, Eastwood has a draw through the Hills district, hence the disparagement of "NW Rams". SO of all the NRC teams, Waratahs for that matter, who is doing more for connecting outside of that eastern public school strip?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Where does "NW Rams" come from? I've been looking for it, haven't found it - outside of disparagement on this thread.

I'd imagine that Penrith and Parramatta become affiliates as the team wants to open to the west but neither of those teams have offered much. I could be wrong, but I'm looking and can't see much to the contrary.

As I understand it, Eastwood has a draw through the Hills district, hence the disparagement of "NW Rams". SO of all the NRC teams, Waratahs for that matter, who is doing more for connecting outside of that eastern public school strip?
Ok maybe jumped the gun...not enough info to see how this playing out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
OK, give you that.

I guess my passion is out too. I said it earlier but its the first time since the Stars were sliced that I've built the enthusiasm to take on a team. You're right though, while I'm loving Papworth getting involved, "not enough info to see how this is playing out".

In the mean while, I'm going to get enthused. :confused:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
OK, give you that.

I guess my passion is out too. I said it earlier but its the first time since the Stars were sliced that I've built the enthusiasm to take on a team. You're right though, while I'm loving Papworth getting involved, "not enough info to see how this is playing out".

In the mean while, I'm going to get enthused. :confused:
I will be following and at the games but my concern at broader levels is western Sydney teams of Penrith and Parramatta continue to prop up the bottom of the Shute shield ladder and despite all the rhetoric on importance of western Sydney as rugby market does not translate to what I see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

I will be following and at the games but my concern at broader levels is western Sydney teams of Penrith and Parramatta continue to prop up the bottom of the Shute shield ladder and despite all the rhetoric on importance of western Sydney as rugby market does not translate to what I see.

the importance of the market doesn't translate because of lack of investment

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Given Papworth now got Eastwood back involved in pivotal way via Rams in NRC, I do hope Papworth now publicly comes out with more visible and supportive comments for the NRC given he has in the past been a staunch critic of the NRC.

First step for me would be for him to be visible at Rams home games at the minimum. Second would be to provide more public comments of support the NRC as a product and quality of games etc. And latter would be by him first hand watching a few live Rams games as doubt he has seen one NRC game yet despite his vocal criticism. That is what has really pissed me off by lot of the old school rugby types (read dinosaurs who think we can stand still and no need to change anything about rugby as a product to meet evolving and changing demands of modern day sports fan to stay relevant - WTF) who have criticised the NRC when they have not even bothered to actually watch a game and see what it is like.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Anyone want to have a crack at a season preview for the main Blog site this year?
Also looking for people to attend matches and write match reviews. Others to take photos.

Let me know.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gees looking to go to first game next Sunday and still don't know what team I will be supporting...wonder why so late to finalise squad.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Rams and Rays are yet to name a side, still waiting :( tournament starts in a week

The Rays are understandable. Two of the three squads that primarily feed them played in the SS GF on the weekend. It's probably a matter of finding out who's available before announcing the squad. As for the Rams. That's easy. Take most of Eastwood, add a healthy dose of Manly and add a dash of South's. There's your squad.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So at this rate the RAMS and RAYS may be lucky to have any training sessions together as a squad/team for the first match this weekend.