• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

What do you make of Benji Marshal to rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
If i were a Tigers fan i would be fuming that he is making such a big thing about signing with another team whilst the season is still running.. Yes you can sign with another team, but at least display some constraint and don't wear the jersey until the season is over.
Hadn't the Tigers already had a press conference to say he was going, si can't see much problem.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As a Tigers fan, I applaud Benji Marshall for taking the limelight (or is it the harsh light of day) away from the Tigers.

If there was ever a time for an off field controversy, now would be it. Hopefully the team are hitting up Kings Cross nightspots as we speak.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What does is say about rugby development in NZ's biggest city that the Auckland Blues feel the need to poach a rather elderly player from mungoball?

Is this a tactic like the Karmichael Hunt/Israel Folau to AFL tactic where he is just a marketing tool, and nothing else, to try and win some of the mungoball fans back from the Warriors?

Whether he is successful on the field or not is immaterial: column inches, soundbytes and videograbs are all it is about in the sports marketing space.

It could also work in the Tah's favour. If Benji is OK at Rugby, then some Mungo fans may be tempted along to the SFS to the Tahs v Blues Soup game. IIRC it was at Moore Park this year, so we may not see him next year, but the other Aust franchises may benefit with slight increases in interest from mungo fans.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
The inability of Auckland to produce a good 10 isn't anything new. We've struggled to fill that spot since the days of King Carlos. Tasesa Lavea, Oreni Ai'i, Stephen Brett, Luke McAllister, Jimmy Goppereth, Chris Noakes.....should I go on?!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Auckland has 1/4 the population of NZ and hasn't produced a decent 10 since Grant Fox. Meanwhile there is a factory in Christchurch called Christchurch Boys High School that pumps them out on a very regular basis. Carter, Mertens, Slade, Blyendall....

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I for one am excited by the prospect of watching Marshall next year. I'm not a blues fan or a Marshall fan, but I like to see talented players playing good rugby, and I hope Marshall is able to do that.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I for one am excited by the prospect of watching Marshall next year. I'm not a blues fan or a Marshall fan, but I like to see talented players playing good rugby, and I hope Marshall is able to do that.

I'm hoping for something similar, haven't seen much of him but any clips I've seen on FSN or Youtube he looks like a class act. However with his injuries mounting up and his age profile I just can't see there being a happy ending for him at the Blues.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Boys, any news of how Marshal went in the Blues V Canes trial today?

He features prominently in the album here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.639860429382513.1073741868.198767240158503&type=3

But that's not saying much.
Not sure how he went but it made both Channel 7 & 9's sports news which must be a first for a pre-season match not involving an Aus side so in terms of the publicity/ bums on seats side of signing him that's gotta count as a win.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Bunjee looks a bit bigger than he used to (although, TBF, I only catch glimpses of the loig during the sports summary on the ABC news, and I cannot remember how long ago I last caught a glimpse of the little fella).

Great publicity for our game, we desperately need it.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Marshall was a great attacker in league. He will not be as dominant in rugby because those flankers will pressure him heavily. Bit like what happened to QC (Quade Cooper). Cooper however was able to adjust quickly - don't know whether Marshall will be able to do that quick enough to be a real threat in rugby.

Also his defence is shit. it was shit in league and will be shit in rugby. Reckon he will be caught like a "deer in the headlights" when the big big boys of rugby start putting him under pressure - something about time and space.

Genuinely hope the bloke goes OK but time will tell fairly quickly

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Marshall was a great attacker in league. He will not be as dominant in rugby because those flankers will pressure him heavily. Bit like what happened to QC (Quade Cooper). Cooper however was able to adjust quickly - don't know whether Marshall will be able to do that quick enough to be a real threat in rugby.

Also his defence is shit. it was shit in league and will be shit in rugby. Reckon he will be caught like a "deer in the headlights" when the big big boys of rugby start putting him under pressure - something about time and space.

Genuinely hope the bloke goes OK but time will tell fairly quickly

Will Surgeon Kirwin take a leaf from the Reds/Dingo and protect the #10 channel by having him defend in the outside channels "ready for counterattack opportunities"?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Hang on, Quade,Foley,Hegarty,Hilgendorf,KB (Kurtley Beale),Volavola,Ebersohn etc
Which of thes guys are better in contact than Benji?
His biggest problem will be learning a different defensive structure.
He was caught out badly drifting off the ball carrier too early yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.