• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

What is wrong with the Tahs

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jiggles

This would be a really left fied selection but would Allan Jones be someone who could make a difference, I dont think he would take any shit from the players, he would contraol all aspects of the team and would also bring a high profile and ticket sales to the Tahs. He wrote a column on the Roar.com.au a week ago bashing the Tahs so he might be able to be convinced to sign up if challenged to prove he is right with his theories.

Whilst I think it would be a backward step, the Tahs need to do something major soon or they will lose their spot in the NSW sporting landscape. Is Martin Johnson availiable?

I wouldn't listen to much of the 'expert' column on the roar. I used to like that site, but they they have gone down the news lt. tabloid path.

Reactions: mjw

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
but if the number of tahs fans who attend brings in less revenue than moving then why stay?

liquor box, I don't have an answer for you other than the hope that the Tahs will one day (soon!) get their act together and bring the fans back to fill the SFS so that there is no need for the financial incentives provided by Homebush to make ends meet.

Also, not sure what the financial incentives are out at Homebush, but a few teams are moving away from it. The Swans are playing fewer home games out there and the Wallabies will be only out there for the Bledisloe. IIRR, the Tigers moved the NRL home games they used to play out there to the SFS as well.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
liquor box, I don't have an answer for you other than the hope that the Tahs will one day (soon!) get their act together and bring the fans back to fill the SFS so that there is no need for the financial incentives provided by Homebush to make ends meet.

Also, not sure what the financial incentives are out at Homebush, but a few teams are moving away from it. The Swans are playing fewer home games out there and the Wallabies will be only out there for the Bledisloe. IIRR, the Tigers moved the NRL home games they used to play out there to the SFS as well.
I think that when the Rabbitohs went there it was a $100,000 per game deal, I dont know if it is more now with inflation.

I dont want to see the tahs move, but it might become a reality.....and it might even work. I realise you cant compare the old run down Ballymore with the SFS but there were a lot of paople who were never going to watch the Reds at Lang Park because they would only watch the Reds at their "real" home. Well it turned out alright, the average crowd is now about 50% more than Ballymore capacity.

I think the Tahs could get to a 30,000 average if they have a complete cleanout and get a repoutation for playing an exciting brand of rugby, but it will take a lot of work and a lot of hard decisions to clean out all of the traditional Rugby people and look elswhere for profesionals in sports management. I think the best thing the Reds did was to hire people from outside of Rugby for their office.

If you aim to attract people to a game from outside of traditional rugby fans then you need to know what these people are thinking, and unfortunately a rugby fan has no idea what a non rugby fan is thinking.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
If you aim to attract people to a game from outside of traditional rugby fans then you need to know what these people are thinking, and unfortunately a rugby fan has no idea what a non rugby fan is thinking.

I recently got my girlfriend into rugby just by making it exciting for her. When I take her to a game or we watch it on TV, the team doesn't matter, nor how viable or safe the strategy is. It all comes down to the run of the ball, the amazing tries. This team never wins, so how great is it that they just ran the length of the field against this great team. Then you can get people into the strategy, having a team they support, knowing the rules and why such and such was called.

That's how you get non-rugby people into rugby, it's why so many people get into NRL as opposed to rugby, it's a much less complicated game that is essentially based on nothing but scoring tries, so it's exciting and people don't feel lost when they watch it.

Must've counted legs.
If the Tahs don't move, they'll run out of money and god knows what happens then. There were more people cheering for the hurricanes than there were for the tahs... Move them to South Australia, they'd appreciate a team there.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
But it is not a team of champions. Who in the team would you rate as (and I hate this term) world class?

Drew Mitchell who has been injured for a long time. Benny R, but a world class LH prop has less impact than a world class TH and at a stretch, TPN.

Palu isn't back to his best and hasn't been for years. Berrick has never hit his straps. Dennis is slightly better than an honest toiler (but if he heeps on from last night he could be anything). Forget Rocky. Horne is fragile and inconsistent. Foley is exciting but still error prone. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has not performed at Super Rugby level for 3 seasons now. Kepu, shit hands.

Don't get me wrong, these are all good to very good players, but none of them sare great. I wonder if people think this team is better than it is. True they aren't playing to their potential, and should be doing better, but they aren't talent laden like a few teams out there.

W

What2040

Fair enough Charger
I should have said good to very good. Point taken

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Scoop has stumbled onto the story of the season but apparently doesn't realise it:

For some time it has been desperate at Waratahland - both on and off the field. The NSW marketing gurus are trying to lure the punters in by enticing them in with a two-ticket deal, which included last night and then allowing them to watch a rugby league match next weekend involving the Roosters and the Broncos. Rugby league? Is this a joke?
No, not a joke, Scoop, but probably the idea that will keep the Waratahs away from the liquidators for another year. The two-ticket idea is just a trial run for what will see CEO Jason Allen - hitherto invisible apart from his unfortunately timed statement of support for coach Michael Foley - emerge as the most high profile and sought after sports administrator in Australia.

Allen's brainwave is to offer to play all future Waratahs home games as early fixtures to Rugby League games. That way the Waratahs don't have to pay for ground hire and they can claim the overall attendance figures as their own. In one devilishly clever move costs are slashed and the Waratahs can demonstrate they are surfing a new wave of popularity because of all the people coming to their games.

A potential stumbling block was the ARL's concern that ground capacity might be exceeded, but Allen was able to point to the graph showing the 'Tahs' attendance figures declining asymptotically. In any case, he reassured them, the 'Tahs would pledge to retain the same coaching team and style of play for next season, virtually guaranteeing that most of the few remaining rugby tragics still prepared to come and watch their team would have walked out well before full time.

Written into the Memorandum of Understanding between the two bodies were clauses designed to ensure that the Waratahs did not pull a swifty and attempt to play rugby that might appeal to spectators. Thus Jason Allen and his administrative staff have to be retained even though the relationship between the CEO and one of his most senior direct reports, familiarly known as the Great Survivor, is said to be so strained that security have to sweep the room for sharp objects before the two have their regular meetings.

More importantly, the absolutely non-negotiable demand by the ARL was that Edwin Zemancheff and Arvid Petersen had to remain in charge of the Waratahs board. Zemancheff and Petersen have become renowned as one of the truly great comedy double acts - on a par with Abbott & Costello, Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, the Two Ronnies, Roy and H.G, or Dolly Parton for that matter.

In 2008 Edwin and Arvid managed to drive out not one but two of the most competent Australian rugby coaches of the modern era - Ewen McKenzie and Todd Louden, who guided the team to the Super 14 Final. The reason given for the axings - and those of you not still in school at the time will know I am not making this up - was E & A's determination that the Waratahs should play entertaining rugby. We are still seeing the fruits of that stroke of genius. It has been assessed that Edwin and Arvid collectively add up to one wit.

Returning to a world of sanity for a moment, the one hope for the Waratahs' 2013 season is that the long-standing board members fall on their swords, and that a new CEO and new coach are appointed, both of whom are drivers of change and prepared to clean out the mess and detritus of past years.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Scoop has stumbled onto the story of the season but apparently doesn't realise it:

For some time it has been desperate at Waratahland - both on and off the field. The NSW marketing gurus are trying to lure the punters in by enticing them in with a two-ticket deal, which included last night and then allowing them to watch a rugby league match next weekend involving the Roosters and the Broncos. Rugby league? Is this a joke?
No, not a joke, Scoop, but probably the idea that will keep the Waratahs away from the liquidators for another year. The two-ticket idea is just a trial run for what will see CEO Jason Allen - hitherto invisible apart from his unfortunately timed statement of support for coach Michael Foley - emerge as the most high profile and sought after sports administrator in Australia.

Allen's brainwave is to offer to play all future Waratahs home games as early fixtures to Rugby League games. That way the Waratahs don't have to pay for ground hire and they can claim the overall attendance figures as their own. In one devilishly clever move costs are slashed and the Waratahs can demonstrate they are surfing a new wave of popularity because of all the people coming to their games.

A potential stumbling block was the ARL's concern that ground capacity might be exceeded, but Allen was able to point to the graph showing the 'Tahs' attendance figures declining asymptotically. In any case, he reassured them, the 'Tahs would pledge to retain the same coaching team and style of play for next season, virtually guaranteeing that most of the few remaining rugby tragics still prepared to come and watch their team would have walked out well before full time.

Written into the Memorandum of Understanding between the two bodies were clauses designed to ensure that the Waratahs did not pull a swifty and attempt to play rugby that might appeal to spectators. Thus Jason Allen and his administrative staff have to be retained even though the relationship between the CEO and one of his most senior direct reports, familiarly known as the Great Survivor, is said to be so strained that security have to sweep the room for sharp objects before the two have their regular meetings.

More importantly, the absolutely non-negotiable demand by the ARL was that Edwin Zemancheff and Arvid Petersen had to remain in charge of the Waratahs board. Zemancheff and Petersen have become renowned as one of the truly great comedy double acts - on a par with Abbott & Costello, Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, the Two Ronnies, Roy and H.G, or Dolly Parton for that matter.

In 2008 Edwin and Arvid managed to drive out not one but two of the most competent Australian rugby coaches of the modern era - Ewen McKenzie and Todd Louden, who guided the team to the Super 14 Final. The reason given for the axings - and those of you not still in school at the time will know I am not making this up - was E & A's determination that the Waratahs should play entertaining rugby. We are still seeing the fruits of that stroke of genius. It has been assessed that Edwin and Arvid collectively add up to one wit.

Returning to a world of sanity for a moment, the one hope for the Waratahs' 2013 season is that the long-standing board members fall on their swords, and that a new CEO and new coach are appointed, both of whom are drivers of change and prepared to clean out the mess and detritus of past years.
Can I suggest the purchase of a high pressure gurney from Bunnings to assist in the clean out of Waratah HQ.
Any truth to the rumour that Allen's idea of running a Clipsal style V8 Car Race at half time was only cancelled due to surface water last night?
Only Salman Rushdie, The Jackal, and before his death Osama Bin Laden have kept a lower profile and made fewer public appearances than him.
Seriously, there appeared to be more Hurricane's supporters there last night than home fans......how long before they start only opening one side of the ground to save cleaning and staff costs. Clive Palmer has some ideas here Jason so call him.
Might be an idea to change the Alliance seat colours from one colour (blue) to multi colours as this gives an impression that there is a crowd.
These guys are clueless and the inmates have got the keys!!!!!

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
......In 2008 Edwin and Arvid managed to drive out not one but two of the most competent Australian rugby coaches of the modern era - Ewen McKenzie and Todd Louden, who guided the team to the Super 14 Final. The reason given for the axings - and those of you not still in school at the time will know I am not making this up - was E & A's determination that the Waratahs should play entertaining rugby. We are still seeing the fruits of that stroke of genius. It has been assessed that Edwin and Arvid collectively add up to one wit......Returning to a world of sanity for a moment, the one hope for the Waratahs' 2013 season is that the long-standing board members fall on their swords, and that a new CEO and new coach are appointed, both of whom are drivers of change and prepared to clean out the mess and detritus of past years.

What I find quite staggering in all this is how no board or board members of either the NSWRU and/or the Tahs have ever felt the need to properly account for, justify, fully explain, robustly analyse, take personal or collective responsibility for, apologise to the fans for, the Tahs' continued inability to win a Super title in the professional era.

There is no reason for the Tahs other than to win such a title, that is all they are purposed for in this era of the game. To have the resources of the whole NSW rugby system - and all the declared pride in its qualities and quantities as per the glowing words in the Tahs' and NSW RU's Annual Reports - and never have been able to get this team to the top surely bears the axiomatic requirement that someone in ultimate authority should explain or take responsibility for the Everest climbs that keep routinely stalling 500 metres from the peak.

But no, that explanation never seems to come from these esteemed parties. They seem content with enthusiastic promises of better continuity, and waiting to see what next year brings. This silence is very telling.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
What I find quite staggering in all this is how no board or board members of either the NSWRU and/or the Tahs have ever felt the need to properly account for, justify, fully explain, robustly analyse, take personal or collective responsibility for, apologise to the fans for, the Tahs' continued inability to win a Super title in the professional era.

There is no reason for the Tahs other than to win such a title, that is all they are purposed for in this era of the game. To have the resources of the whole NSW rugby system - and all the declared pride in its qualities and quantities as per the glowing words in the Tahs' and NSW RU's Annual Reports - and never have been able to get this team to the top surely bears the axiomatic requirement that someone in ultimate authority should explain or take responsibility for the Everest climbs that keep routinely stalling 500 metres from the peak.

But no, that explanation never seems to come from these esteemed parties. They seem content with enthusiastic promises of better continuity, and waiting to see what next year brings. This silence is very telling.
Winning at this level requires risk taking, refusal to accept excuses, courage of your convictions, unity of purpose, drive and passion.
Even putting the players aside for the moment, does anyone see these qualities evident in the Waratah's organisation?
Or do you witness, like so many observers on this thread, a faceless and rudderless rabble hiding in their anonymity.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Only five teams have won the competition. Yes, it's perplexing that the Tahs haven't managed it, but until last year neither had the great rugby state of Queensland. What I want to see is a team that develops players well, executes appropriate game plans, builds a culture of excellence in skills across the park, and plays every game with pride, passion and commitment.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I have been pleasantly surprised at the standard of the few Shute Shield games I have managed to watch this year, so that is a ray of hope I suppose.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I have been pleasantly surprised at the standard of the few Shute Shield games I have managed to watch this year, so that is a ray of hope I suppose.

Maybe there's room for a side selected from players in the SHute SHield based in NSW participating in the super competition. A side the fans connect with.

J

Jiggles

This team hasn't even hit rock bottom yet. No change will take place.

Rock bottom is when you look at the years upcoming fixtures and you pencil in wins for 1 to 3 home games... and you still manage to loose 1 of those.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Winning at this level requires risk taking, refusal to accept excuses, courage of your convictions, unity of purpose, drive and passion.
Even putting the players aside for the moment, does anyone see these qualities evident in the Waratah's organisation?
Or do you witness, like so many observers on this thread, a faceless and rudderless rabble hiding in their anonymity.

Just watched the press conference post Hurricanes match. Pretty much the same stuff trotted out during the previous loss...learnings, focus, disappointment etc etc. :mad:

Badger

Bill McLean (32)

From my perspective, I would be interested to find out what the Tahs marketing strategy is.

Is it to maintain the current (diminishing) supporter base or grow the supporter and playing base? There doesn't seem to be much happening. From memory, I have seen some banner ads on websites and some newspaper ads during the week leading up to games. I don't watch much TV so can't say whether there has been any spend on TV commercials. In previous years, we used to see buses decked out with the Tahs and HSBC. There are some posts on Facebook, but unless you are a fan, you're unlikely to see the stuff.

This year, the Tahs started The HSBC Waratahs Community Connection Program. From the website, it "is a new initiative focused on fostering a love of Rugby throughout NSW". The webpage suggests checking regularly for events. This may be a waste of time since the last event listed is for February 18. Where's the follow through? In year's gone by, players have turned up at various shopping centres during game week to promote the game and give away tickets. I don't recall them doing that this year.

The Brumbies game out at Homebush would be a good opportunity to promote rugby so it will be interesting to see what they have planned (if anything) to promote the game. They may struggle to get a decent crowd so freebie tickets may be the order. They could offer anyone that has a season ticket to another code, a pair of free tickets to the game. Get them to register online and give them e-tickets so you get a valid email address. Keep a track of who actually turns up and then email afterwards to get their feedback. To make it worth their while, anyone that provides feedback should be offered a chance to win a few $$$ in an HSBC product. HSBC already gives away $5,000 each home game so say $500 wouldn't make too much impact on HSBC's finances.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Only five teams have won the competition. Yes, it's perplexing that the Tahs haven't managed it, but until last year neither had the great rugby state of Queensland. What I want to see is a team that develops players well, executes appropriate game plans, builds a culture of excellence in skills across the park, and plays every game with pride, passion and commitment.

Yes. I think you may find that if what you want is genuinely and consistently achieved for at least 2 sequential seasons, the Tahs will soon enough win an S15. Without having to try too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.