• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Will Genia Leaving for Japan in 2013?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think people are reading far too much into this.

I predict he'll re-sign with the ARU and stay in Australia.

Considering he wouldn't be able to play rugby in Japan until the latter half of 2013, I find it highly unlikely that it is even being realistically considered.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Far out, you lot get your knickers in a knot quick.

There's no author attached to that article, so who knows what chump has gotten bored on a Tuesday and written this dribble. Plus, the tell tale sign of a made up story is no quotes and the article starting off with
It is believed
. It's probably just Danny Weidler shitting himself that Nine's going under and needs to branch out his sports reporting to get picked up by Fox.

Plus, why the hell would Genia leave in 2013? Its a stunt to milk the Lions cash-cow by his manager.

If anything, it just once again highlights how bad the ARU contract management organisation is.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder who is in charge of ARU contracts?

I imagine there are several elements involved. Deans, Nucifora and McGahan presumably have the greatest say in choosing who is contracted but I highly doubt they are involved in negotiating each contract.

Has JON's distraction with Echo and then his departure caused contract negotiations to grind to a halt?

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
This is not Genia's fault guys. Why is the ARU dicking around with player contracts long after they've signed with their clubs. This is their system but in it's first few months of operation it's throwing up big issues.
Or maybe the clubs should get pre-approval from the ARU before signing the star players that will inevitable need a top up, like when you buy a house and speak to the bank first to see how much you can afford. Without this requirement the clubs have nothing to lose.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Or maybe the clubs should get pre-approval from the ARU before signing the star players that will inevitable need a top up, like when you buy a house and speak to the bank first to see how much you can afford. Without this requirement the clubs have nothing to lose.
That sounds a bit like the old system that the ARU ditched for this one.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Is this perhaps a way for Genia to show that he supports what QC (Quade Cooper) said a few weeks ago?

I believe the mighty Doctor Cox of Scrubs said "if you hear hoof beats, think horses and not zebras."

Unless you're an insider to the professional rugby set-up, which you may be, I can't understand how you could associate these two events.

Basically, it's not completely impossible but it's wildly unlikely these two events are linked. None of the Wallabies like the current contracting system.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
When the cooper story broke it was revealed that he was bargaining to get approval to box and also a sabbatical at some stage. Wouldn't surprise me if genia is the same. (sabbatical not boxing) it's hard to judge if there a good thing or not. It's hard in my mind to come up with a rule that fits everybody in regards to them.

Either way, hope it gets sorted & genia stays put, he is to important to the reds & wallabies to lose at the moment.

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
Fair dinkum, what a snore fest.

Honestly, same as the Quade saga and the Pocock saga.
How many wallaby incumbents are going to bounce overseas the year of the lions tour?

With exception of players like Mumm and Elsom who weren't going to make the squad anyway, you'd have to be an absolute burke to turn down the chance for a lions tour.

Theyre all bluffing and its a waste of time reading into it.

K. Nasseritis is spreading...

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I agree wholeheartedly Cpt, why is it everytime an Aussie player is renewing contract these stories come up ,about massive offers from overseas, leaguies do it too, I just shrug my shoulders these days.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I wonder who is in charge of ARU contracts?

I imagine there are several elements involved. Deans, Nucifora and McGahan presumably have the greatest say in choosing who is contracted but I highly doubt they are involved in negotiating each contract.

Has JON's distraction with Echo and then his departure caused contract negotiations to grind to a halt?

JON's story was that Cooper's ARU contract had been sitting on the table since June, which doesn't suggest distraction on the ARU's part.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
JON's story was that Cooper's ARU contract had been sitting on the table since June, which doesn't suggest distraction on the ARU's part.

yeah, I think the distraction is they ain't getting the pat rises they want

like the rest of us

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
If you'd sent a contract out in June and heard nothing back what would you do? Maybe talk to the other party to find out what was going on or just assume everything was good?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
If you'd sent a contract out in June and heard nothing back what would you do? Maybe talk to the other party to find out what was going on or just assume everything was good?

They had been. Cooper wanted boxing matches, an off season in Japan and other things, they had negotiated to let him box but not go to Japan. It wasn't dropped off in June and left alone.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If Genia is genuinely just looking for a change of scenery then it may not be all that bad a thing. Would work out better in the long run for him to go to Japan for a year then back to the Reds rejuvenated. Would be a lot better then having someone around who's struggling for motivation. Kind of like Carter going to France, even though he didn't play too much Rugby while at Perpignan.

If it's just a negotiating tactic then that's a whole different matter.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It's all the bloody All Blacks fault;), if they didn't write sabbaticals into their players contracts, Wallaby players woudn't want them, (but fellas you should play for more than 5 minutes before you want them):confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.