• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Will Genia Leaving for Japan in 2013?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I agree wholeheartedly Cpt, why is it everytime an Aussie player is renewing contract these stories come up ,about massive offers from overseas, leaguies do it too, I just shrug my shoulders these days.

The only concerning thing is that while it is recognised most players are bluffing when they trot out the overseas/code switch option, Nasser and his clients have form for following through on the threat.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
On the Rugby Club they quoted Will saying he was disappointed that this had leaked into the public domain but he is definitely on the open market.
In the same week, it's leaked out that the ARU has sounded Burgess out to play the Spring Tour. Coincidence?

My conspiracy. Will's manager pulled the going to Japan card during negotiations. The ARU is not willing to budge and leaked the Japan story anticipating public backlash at Will. Backlash similar to the level that Quade faced when he pulled the League card. Heightened for Will because he reniged on the Force contract because he loved playing for QLD (I.e. It's not about the money but now it is).

Will's manager argues that Will is light years ahead of the next Scrum half in Australia and Australia's second best scrum half is in France. The ARU then promptly release the story that they are considering bringing in Burgess for the Spring Tour. Could he come back to Oz?

These stories don't just pop up in THe media by themselves. I may be wrong, but I think this is all part of the negotiations by the ARU. Gives Quade's comments about 'stuff up above' being challenging.

A

AlexH

On the Rugby Club they quoted Will saying he was disappointed that this had leaked into the public domain but he is definitely on the open market.
In the same week, it's leaked out that the ARU has sounded Burgess out to play the Spring Tour. Coincidence?

My conspiracy. Will's manager pulled the going to Japan card during negotiations. The ARU is not willing to budge and leaked the Japan story anticipating public backlash at Will. Backlash similar to the level that Quade faced when he pulled the League card. Heightened for Will because he reniged on the Force contract because he loved playing for QLD (I.e. It's not about the money but now it is).

Will's manager argues that Will is light years ahead of the next Scrum half in Australia and Australia's second best scrum half is in France. The ARU then promptly release the story that they are considering bringing in Burgess for the Spring Tour. Could he come back to Oz?

These stories don't just pop up in THe media by themselves. I may be wrong, but I think this is all part of the negotiations by the ARU. Gives Quade's comments about 'stuff up above' being challenging.

I would be highly disappointed if this was the case.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I love the notion that the ARU don't know which way is up but at the same time are running an 'inception' like program from the basement to influence contract negotiations. We need to start writing rugby fan fiction novels round here.

It's a lot easier to manipulate a few media outlets than it is to run a professional international sports outfit. Or develop a third-tier competition that doesn't hemorrhage cash, or find out a way to balance the 5 Oz Super Rugby franchises without diluting the talent pool, (or apparently find a competent medical staff for the Wallabies)...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

I love a good conspiracy, but I think the reality is a lot more simple:

- Genia is currently negotiating a contract with the ARU, and just like the Fainga'a twins, and Barnes, and Digby, and Quade, and nearly every other player who goes through this process has his management leaking out potential moves overseas to drive up the price.

This exact story gets put out several times a year, and yet there's some kind of collective amnesia that cause people to forget.

Shall we start guessing which players next year could be lost overseas? Someone with a drawn out contract negotiation I'm guessing.........

Newsflash: He's not going anywhere. The ARU don't want to lose him, and there's a once in a lifetime Lions tour on next year.

- The Burgess story is unrelated. I'm sure Deans has expressed his desire to somebody recently that it would be great to have Burgess play on the Spring tour with our halfback stocks in decline, but it's impossible due to him not being contracted by the ARU etc.

Somebody has leaked this to Wayne Smith and he's been able to piece together a story. Has any other media outlet reported this story other than the Australian? Not that I've seen. Why not? Because it's not going to happen.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Quade said there are things going on above the players heads that are pissing everyone off or something similar. Most people thought he was talking about Deans again but I think that comment was directed at JON & the ARU contracting system.

Higgers, Quade, Genia and Pocock all shitted off with it or they would've signed by now with the Super Rugby clubs they wanted to play for.

These guys are professional rugby players, most of them aren't going on to become Rocket Scientists after football. Unless they're Brad Thorn, they've got about 10-15 to make as much money as they can if they're really good and then they're yesterday's hero.

If the ARU can't pay the going rate or near to it, au revoir, sayonara & toodaloo Big JON. It's the Pro Era, ARU needs a clean out, not our playing stocks.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Quade said there are things going on above the players heads that are pissing everyone off or something similar. Most people thought he was talking about Deans again but I think that comment was directed at JON & the ARU contracting system.

Higgers, Quade, Genia and Pocock all shitted off with it or they would've signed by now with the Super Rugby clubs they wanted to play for.

These guys are professional rugby players, most of them aren't going on to become Rocket Scientists after football. Unless they're Brad Thorn, they've got about 10-15 to make as much money as they can if they're really good and then they're yesterday's hero.

If the ARU can't pay the going rate or near to it, au revoir, sayonara & toodaloo Big JON. It's the Pro Era, ARU needs a clean out, not our playing stocks.

Eh? Pocock did sign with the rugby club he wanted to play for.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I'm not sure he did, as he wrote "they would've signed by now with the Super Rugby clubs they wanted to play for."

They have all signed for the Super Rugby clubs they wish to play for. The one common denominator is this bizarre central contracting system the ARU has implemented that is a sticking point. It's a fucking joke!

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
For the 1st time ever Kerns made a comment last night on the rugby club that made sense. Im bugging my brain on what he exactly said, but it was on the line of the ARU needs to stop stuffing around the players.

Only since deans has entered players have been unhappy.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
The ARU should get rid of some of the back room boys who earn $100K + per year, and put the money towards the player contracts.
I'm wondering though if the ARU might be having a tough stretch with their bankers. If the bank is holding onto the purse strings it could explain a number of things e.g.
  • JON early departure
  • lack of ARU transparency
  • stalemate of top player contracts
  • not releasing Deans & paying out his contract
Time will tell.

Mals

Bob McCowan (2)
Until we hear a statement from Genia it's idle speculation. He's too young & it's too early in his career for a move offshore. Also why would he do this after signing a new contract & when the Lions are touring in 2013, it doesn't make sense....?

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yeah there's a better chance that the sun will crash into New Zealand this weekend than Toulon releasing Giteau

They wouldnt have a choice as the tests are in tge aru test window so all players requested need to be released

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

The poor blokes, robbed of the right to play for the team they wanted to and forced to take jobs that offered opportunities they were more attracted too. Must be awful.

Look, most professional athletes could live a modest but comfortable lifestyle off 40k a year, but they choose more money as they rightfully can.

Let's not pretend this is something that it's not.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Until we hear a statement from Genia it's idle speculation. He's too young & it's too early in his career for a move offshore. Also why would he do this after signing a new contract & when the Lions are touring in 2013, it doesn't make sense..?

Luke McAlister, starting AB and huge future ahead left NZ at the same age Genia is right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.