• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Rugby Sevens Caravan coming to Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
If Singapore has a potential expat audience for Sevens, surely the audience will turn out for the Tens?

The Tens was an experimental new tournament played between club teams.

The sevens is an olympic sport played between nations with plenty of momentum behind it. It will also undoubtedly be better promoted.

I doubt the Singapore event will rival Hong Kong anytime soon, but it'll certainly do a lot better than the 10's.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I'd like the NZ 7s to move to Dunedin during Uni Semester. Think of the Highlanders Zoo... :-O
Westpac in Wellington is 35k. ForsythBarr has a 30k capacity.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Tens was an experimental new tournament played between club teams.

The sevens is an olympic sport played between nations with plenty of momentum behind it. It will also undoubtedly be better promoted.

I doubt the Singapore event will rival Hong Kong anytime soon, but it'll certainly do a lot better than the 10's.

The Tens tournament is a pretty good litmus test. Have you ever lived anywhere which was starved for good rugby?

I have, and I can tell you that an event like the Tens would have been manna from heaven.

By the way, the Brumbies and the Blues are provincial teams, not club sides. There was some pretty good cattle going around in front of empty stands.

Where was the potential audience of rugby people based in Singapore? If I lived in Singapore I would go to the Tens with my ears pinned back.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just came across these dates for next season's 7s from a facebook group:
7s%20schedule.jpg

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Where was the potential audience of rugby people based in Singapore? If I lived in Singapore I would go to the Tens with my ears pinned back.

The audience for sevens is not exclusively a rugby audience. In fact when I went to the London event last year my guess is that maybe half the crowd were not regular rugby fans. Certainly among the group I was with - of about 8, I was one of 2 rugby fans and I know there were many groups like this. If you compared the sevens crowd to a typical England game at Twickenham I'd be pretty confident you'd find the average age is a lot lower and that the gender balance is a lot closer to even.

People are attracted to the fancy dress, to the party etc. And the fact the tournament is between national teams is also a lure. The success and awareness of the Hong Kong event should benefit Singapore. It's not really starting from scratch. And there's many more expats in Singapore than there are in Hong Kong. The number of hard core rugby fans doesn't even really matter that much.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just came across these dates for next season's 7s from a facebook group:
7s%20schedule.jpg

That's a major improvement but the gaps between CT & Wellywood, Vegas & Singapore, HK & Paris are still at least a week too long IMO, should be more like:

Week 1 Dubai
Week 3 Cape Town
Week 6 Wellington
Week 8 Sydney
Week 11 Las Vegas
Week 13 Vancouver
Week 16 Singapore
Week 18 Hong Kong
Week 21 Paris
Week 23 London

Makes it easier to maintain interest while still giving the players some down time between Legs for rest & rehab.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
As for the "full houses" that the Sevens circuit needs, I cannot see too many of those in the forseeable future. Obviously Hong Kong is now a regional institution. Las Vegas seemed to do okay. Other than that, nah. Maybe London, depending on the weather.

And Sydney!!!! Where is your faith??? :p

T

TOCC

Event is confirmed for 6th and 7th of Feb, ticket prices starting from $30(1day pass)

T

TOCC

Full draw..

2015-16 HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series schedule
Round 1: Dubai: 4-5 December
Round 2: Cape Town: 12-13 December
Round 3: Wellington: 30-31 January
Round 4: Sydney: 6-7 February
Round 5: Las Vegas: 4-6 March
Round 6: Vancouver: 12-13 March
Round 7: Hong Kong: 8-10 April
Round 8: Singapore: 16-17 April
Round 9: Paris: 14-15 May
Round 10: London: 20-22 May

It should help now that SBW has said he wants to focus on 7's, that will be a massive marketing boost for the Sydney 7's

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I will definitely be there (Sydney). Now time to recruit as many people as I can to join me.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
It's a great result timing wise.

Should have some fresh air to generate some publicity and hopefully get a good crowd.

Big Bash and Aussie Open are over, Auckland nines and NRL All stars games should be a week later, no AFL on for a while. There might be a cricket test match against the kiwis on but in NZ.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'm pretty psyched for this. Going to be awesome.

I'd love the theme to be 'Summer 7s' or something similar. Beachy. Be a lovely sunny day in Paddington, packed house at the SFS, super cheap tickets. You beauty.

Status
Not open for further replies.