• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Rugby Sevens Caravan coming to Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
First Wallaby signing with 7s to be announced at 2pm today. And he will be playing in Sydney.......

T

TOCC

Sydney7's organisers will be ecstatic with Quade Cooper headlining.. NZRU will be excited to have him playing in Wellington as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yep, the 2015-2016 Sevens series will be done with one eye on Rio, i expect Quade, SBW and any other Rio hopefuls will be given bulk time by the coaches to adjust and learn the game in time for the Olympics.

The sevens championship trophy is second to a Rio Olympic gold medal in 2016.

Man we haven't even qualified for Rio yet! Whoever signs up today should have to play in the Oceania qualifier in November, and start training before then if they aren't involved in the RWC.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
Perhaps McMahon (I'd like him) or a good strong elusive winger that can finish things and take some heat out of centrefield. They won't risk Izzy

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Media release just out. It is Speight.

Qantas Wallabies winger Henry Speight has agreed a new three-year deal with Australian Rugby that will see him remain with the Aquis Brumbies through to the end of 2018 and join the Qantas Australian Sevens Program in 2016.

The landmark deal means Speight will be available for the inaugural Sydney 7s at Allianz Stadium in February next year.

As part of the agreement between Australian Rugby and the Aquis Brumbies, Speight will combine his duties with the national Sevens program and his Super Rugby team throughout 2016.

As well as the Sydney 7s on the weekend on February 6-7, Speight will be available for selection for the Hong Kong and London legs of the 2015/16 HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series and – pending qualification – the Rio 2016 Olympics.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
We really are going to have every single possible comnbination of Super Rugby, Sevens, Japan, Europe and Wallaby duties in the contracts over the next couple of years aren't we?

And then the contracts don't seem to be binding for anyone anyway.

T

TOCC

Hmm I don't see 7's as a part time commitment, you're either all in or all out

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)

I think a winger like Speight can manage it. I assume growing up in Fiji that he'd have played a lot of 7's and he certainly played well for the Brumbies in that club world 7's event they won a couple of years ago. He's a natural.

A few of the better players from teams like Canada and the US split their time between 7's and 15's and do well.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

You & Bill Pulver:

"While Pulver last week granted Foley its first-ever "flexible contract", which will allow the Test five-eighth to play two seasons in Japan over the next three years, the ARU won't be allowing players to double up for the Wallabies and Olympics in 2016."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/a...nard-foleys-sevens-dream-20150421-1mq58k.html

Oops, seems Bill must've changed his mind :)

T

TOCC

I think a winger like Speight can manage it. I assume growing up in Fiji that he'd have played a lot of 7's and he certainly played well for the Brumbies in that club world 7's event they won a couple of years ago. He's a natural.

A few of the better players from teams like Canada and the US split their time between 7's and 15's and do well.

Perhaps, but you still have conflicting interests, I'd be interested to see the terms of the agreement. How long before a 7's leg will he be released from the Brumbies to prepare with the sevens squad.

If he has a potential injury, and it's common place for players to play carrying injuries, does the sevens team or the brumbies team have the jurisdiction to have him rested from one another.

There is a one month break between each continental leg, so one month between Oceania-America, America-Asia, America-Europe. So if there one month break, how long will Henry be given in preparation time with the Sevens squad. Parachuting him in one week out before a tournament is a little bit short notice, ideally it would be minimum 2 weeks.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Foley has to be absolutely filthy. He wanted this. Told he couldn't and signed his Japan contract.

Although I predicted Bill would change his mind on the issue, I didn't think it would be so soon and thought it was going to be closer to the Olympics and like the u20s situation only when their Super Rugby teams are out of finals.

Anyway, Speight was one of the first picked in my "dream team 12" for 7s so this is a great signing. He's going to be key given his defensive and breakdown ability.

Interestingly after this announcement and Quade some bookies have firmed us in for Rio. Moved ahead of GB but still 4th favs. Couple more big signings and we might move ahead of the Saffers. I'd be going after JOC (James O'Connor) and one of Hooper/Gill/McMahon next. Although I expect big things from Michael Wells next year.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
You & Bill Pulver:

"While Pulver last week granted Foley its first-ever "flexible contract", which will allow the Test five-eighth to play two seasons in Japan over the next three years, the ARU won't be allowing players to double up for the Wallabies and Olympics in 2016."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/a.nard-foleys-sevens-dream-20150421-1mq58k.html

Oops, seems Bill must've changed his mind :)
Strictly speaking, he's referred to Wallabies, Olympics and doubling in 2016.

So Wallabies 2015 and Olympics 2016 was not ruled out by Bill.

We'll have to wait and see if Speight gets to be in the Wallaby frame next year.

Supe Rugby wasn't mentioned either. The issue there will be with the Brumbies, TBF. It's a bit tough for the clubs to be paying full whack if players are taking some time off.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The release said once the Rio Olympics are done, if they qualify, then he will become eligible for the Wallabies for The Rugby Championship.

I think there was talk of compensation, so I assume the Brumbies would get a small discount for their salary cap in 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.