• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Rugby Sevens Caravan coming to Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
South Stand will be the place to be. Apparently sales progressing well so far, general public tickets go on sale Friday.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
South Stand will be the place to be. Apparently sales progressing well so far, general public tickets go on sale Friday.

Some of my group have decided we're too old for the rowdy area. I think we'll get the reserved seat option (hopefully on the western side).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So this is the theme:

Dressing up in this years ‘Go Global’ theme is a must! You could be a group of Mexicans wearing sombreros, the Jamaican bobsled team in tights, Scots men in kilts, the statue of Liberty or a hilarious group of Kung Fu pandas!

So I guess the plan for everyone is to choose something from cultural appropriation to casual racism to actual racism as your theme.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
A bit of a bastard that this event is clashing with the Crescent Head 7s.

http://www.kempseyrugby.com/crescent-head-7s/

Anybody wanting to get away from the rat race and have a great weekend of country rugby, in the sun with one of the classic surf beaches close by.

Anyway hopefully the replays will be on for viewing at the pub after the day's play.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ooh, the ARU's promo video mentioned some headline music acts, that's a great addition and will really get young people involved in the event.

Wonder if we can convince anyone from Falls Fest to hang around? Having one of Birds of Tokyo, Courtney Barnett, Disclosure, Foals or Art Vs Science playing the Sydney 7s would be killer.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
18,000 tickets sold already apparently! That is really great news. Hopefully there'll be big crowds over both days. I wonder if it'll be like in London where most of the demand is for the Saturday, or if it'll be more even across both days.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Over 60k tickets sold over the 2 days now with just under a month to go. Seems like it'll go close to selling out!

Veronicas and the Hoodoo Gurus named as the music acts. Meh.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
This really makes the years of having it at Adelaide and the Gold Coast look like the dumbest thing ever

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
This really makes the years of having it at Adelaide and the Gold Coast look like the dumbest thing ever
You can see what they were trying to do - using the event as a development tool, and they were covered by the South Australian and Queensland government so probably didn't cost the ARU too much.

Unfortunately nobody was developed :(

Anyway, good show Sydney.

T

TOCC

Yes, but I think there's a few variables in there which have lead to the interest this year.

When Adelaide was host the Series was held in March/April, it was swamped by the NRL/AFL/Super Rugby season.
It moved to October when it made the move to the Gold Coast, again not ideal since it was the week following AFL/NRL GF's and around the time of the Rugby Championship.
Sydney is very fortunate to host it in early Feb before the big footy codes all kick off again, had it been held in March or October I don't doubt interest would be significantly less.

Overall i think interest in Seven's has been building and really accelerated the last 12 months with Rio looming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Hopefully it has found a home now in Sydney.

Remember when Ballymore had a leg on the World Tour? It was pretty successful, although the IRB binned it for a year when the federal government applied a sporting sanction against Fiji after Bananarama's coup d'etat. After that hosting contract, Australia did not get a gig for about three years and it coincided with a downswing in Australian sevens rugby.

But I reckon the ARU should now bid to host a leg of the Women's Sevens Tour.

Maybe for a December window ... dunno.

Put it at Ballymore

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think Sydney is also benefitting from the Auckland 9's. People are getting accustomed to the carnival atmosphere of such an event and are keen for something in their own back yard. It will be interesting to see if the NRL ever bring the 9's to Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.