• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Rugby Sevens Caravan coming to Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I think it's more to with the fact that Sydneysiders who follow rugby have always had a keen interest in the Welly and HK 7s experience but were just unmotivated to head the Adelaide or GC.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It's really a perfect storm of things.

The date is certainly a big factor, firstly because it's summer and people are more likely to get out and about, and secondly because there is little or no competition from other codes.

The timing is also great, with Rio coming up and a few marquee players looking to get involved.

The ticket pricing is a massive factor too. At $30 a head you are much more likely to attract fringe fans and families, much like the Big Bash. So you are seeing groups of 10 coming instead of 5 or 6.

Then once tickets start to sell, everyone wants to get on the bandwagon in true Sydney style.

The challenge now is to deliver a great event with plenty of things to keep fans entertained, so the attendees want to come back next year, and those watching at home say 'jeez that looks like fun, I want to go next year'.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
uploadfromtaptalk1453513947364.jpg

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Let's hope the SFS caterers finally work out how to sell/serve food and drinks quickly when the stadium has a decent crowd.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
True but if it's anything like the Wales or French day games at the SFS the pubs nearby will be a nightmare too. I'll probably go to a pub on the way and perhaps one pub before the finals.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Apparently The Local Taphouse doesn't permit entry to people wearing Team Jumpers.

Good luck getting a fine craft beer from there in your chicken suit.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
There is going to be a pretty sizable 'fan zone' in between the SFS and SCG, with food trucks and drink facilities. And the passouts bring surrounding pubs into play.

But the issues are real, the SFS can't cope with 40k fans. I'll be interested to see how it plays out.

T

TOCC

I guess the big thing going for the SFS is that the fans should filter in during the day, and fans won't all be rushing to the drink/food stands just just before kick off and at half time. There shouldn't be the big fan crushes that you have during a normal rugby match, it should be spread out slightly more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The main rush will probably be for the dunnies at 1/2 time in the final. May need to sprinkle a few portaloos around the stadium, particularly for the ladies, to help manage the queues.

At Hong Kong, in the old days, the rush was so bad that any vertical surface near the male bathrooms was vulnerable.

It would be good (but probably impracticable) if Shute Shield and Subbies Clubs were given a concession to run a BBQ in the Car Parks to help feed the masses.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Apparently The Local Taphouse doesn't permit entry to people wearing Team Jumpers.

Good luck getting a fine craft beer from there in your chicken suit.

'Please explain', Hugh, which Rugby 7s team is known as "The Chickens"?!

If I turned up wearing an Akubra hat, a checked western shirt, moleskins and Baxter "Drover" boots, would I be ejected for being dressed like a "Cowboy"?!!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
'Please explain', Hugh, which Rugby 7s team is known as "The Chickens"?!

If I turned up wearing an Akubra hat, a checked western shirt, moleskins and Baxter "Drover" boots, would I be ejected for being dressed like a "Cowboy"?!!
No reference to any team @Mr Doug. It's a reference to one of these jobs:
31593-large.jpg

They have been rather fussy at The Local Taphouse in the past.

Moleskins, Akubra, Checkered Shirt, Drover's Boots. You'd be OK.
You have just described one of the many uniforms worn by the many of the Eastern Suburbs locals.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Local Taphouse doesn't like team jumpers after 7:00pm. There've always been plenty of Tahs jumpers enjoying a good feed and a few decent beers before home matches.

Take a sloppy joe/sweater of some sort and put it over your team colours. But, it'll be damned near impossible to get into TLT post-match as it's very popular with locals and they have a strict numbers limit for the pub which they rigidly enforce. Head for the Keg & Brew, The Clock or the Dove & Olive on your way down to Central. If you're desperate you can always drop into the Evening Star..... Or the Strawberry Hills.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
The Local Taphouse don't like team jumpers after 7:00pm. There've always been plenty of Tahs jumpers enjoying a good feed and a few decent beers before home matches.

Take a sloppy joe/sweater of some sort and put it over your team colours. But, it'll be damned near impossible to get into TLT post-match as it's very popular with locals and they have a strict numbers limit for the pub which they rigidly enforce. Head for the Keg & Brew, The Clock or the Dove & Olive on your way down to Central. If you're desperate you can always drop into the Evening Star... Or the Strawberry Hills.

Gee Lindommer, you've rekindled some memories here! I can remember many occasions in the 1960s, when we country boarders, would have a few Tooheys, Reschs, or Tooths down at one of the pubs near Central Station, prior to catching the "Glen Innes Mail" or the "North-West Mail", home for the school holidays. We were dressed in our Sydney Grammar School uniforms with our gaberdine overcoats buttoned to the top to conceal the fact that we were wearing a school uniform, and may have in fact have been under-aged drinkers!! We were never questioned!
The pubs appreciated the business, and life was much simpler in those days!!

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
defeinitely agree re: perfect storm. A lot of casual fans have a hard on for any kind of live footy in February, particularly the league fans that watch a bit of rugby.

Case in point is that the TV ratings for Rugby are always very good in the first few weeks of the season before dropping away

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Gee Lindommer, you've rekindled some memories here! I can remember many occasions in the 1960s, when we country boarders, would have a few Tooheys, Reschs, or Tooths down at one of the pubs near Central Station, prior to catching the "Glen Innes Mail" or the "North-West Mail", home for the school holidays. We were dressed in our Sydney Grammar School uniforms with our gaberdine overcoats buttoned to the top to conceal the fact that we were wearing a school uniform, and may have in fact have been under-aged drinkers!! We were never questioned!
The pubs appreciated the business, and life was much simpler in those days!!

The whole area between Central Station and Surry Hills used to be a centre for sly grog, SP betting, prostitution, you name it. A few under-age drinkers would have been no problem.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
T

TOCC

Apparently pressure from the local community and government officials over the behaviour of fans during and after the event...

Seems very draconian and will probably undermine the future success of the tournament leg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.