• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Rugby Sevens Caravan coming to Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jezza

Bob McCowan (2)
Yes it was in reference to the London 7's..

As long as Sevens fans remained better behaved then the Wanderers fans there shouldn't be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did see some flares at the Sevens. Or should they more correctly be called "bell bottoms"?

Jezza

Bob McCowan (2)
I live within walking distance of the stadium, so don't take this as a NIMBY comment, but the current location isn't suitable for anything larger then what's currently there.

All the major stadiums in the world sit on top or adjacent to major PT systems, Moore Park doesn't, yes the light rail will improve things but the light-rail still has capacity constraints and limited routes which will limit its ability to effectively service the SFS.

If the government is willing to spend a motza knocking the stadium down and building a new one, i reckon they should just look to build a new stadium elsewhere. There is a new development proposed which will straddle the stabling yards at Central Station, this is the kind of locality where you want a major stadium. Build a new 55'000 capacity rectangular stadium central to the city and adjacent to a major PT route and all accessibility issues disappear.

I agree with you 100% when you say that "the current location isn't suitable for anything larger than whats currently there". I've been going to the rugby since Super 10's, watched a couple of Test Matches, and even seen a few League games - and apart from the tests this stadium has NEVER been full, apart from the Sevens! I don't know about Soccer (well, I don't really care about it either), but just building a 55,000 seat stadium doesn't mean punters will flock to it! Lets face it, 10,000 people watching rugby is awful, whether at Stadium Australia (Waratahs/Brumbies) or the SFS.
Fix the dunnies and the food outlets at the current venue!

T

TOCC

It sounds as though the proposal to knock down the stadium is losing support anyway, Waratahs, Roosters and Sydney FC all oppose the idea of moving to ANZ Stadium for the 3 years it would take to knock down and rebuild, they all prefer a redevelopment option.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I love 7s but it's not always enjoyed by the traditional rugby folk. However these stats highlight why it's important:
The ARU has revealed that 50% of the overall ticket sales [at Sydney 7s] came from people who had never bought a ticket to a rugby event before, or those who had attended a rugby event in the past, the code succeeded in attracting a much younger demographic than traditional go to the sport.

More than one in 10 buyers were aged 18-24, with 27% of tickets sold to people aged 25-34 and 24% aged 35-44.

http://mumbrella.com.au/successful-sydney-sevens-rugby-union-marketing-349656

T

TOCC

Less then 3 weeks until the Sydney 7's, plenty of tickets still available across all days... Last year it was sold out months beforehand

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It sounds as though the proposal to knock down the stadium is losing support anyway, Waratahs, Roosters and Sydney FC all oppose the idea of moving to ANZ Stadium for the 3 years it would take to knock down and rebuild, they all prefer a redevelopment option.

A lot has changed since this post though. The codes now realise that if they don't support the knock down/rebuild they'll be left in an obsolete stadium which fails basic OH&S requirements.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Less then 3 weeks until the Sydney 7's, plenty of tickets still available across all days. Last year it was sold out months beforehand

I would guess that the Ashes Test has sucked a bit of the interest away. Hopefully it will come back.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
They've also swapped the order around. Last year the NZ leg was before the Aussie leg, which may have provided some pre tournament publicity.

I'm not sure that having the tournament on the Australia Day long weekend will be as successful as the February dates. Plenty of people will be away (including yours truly) as it's also the last weekend before school goes back. There's also plenty of other things to do in Sydney on that weekend.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think it was fair enough giving the Australia Day thing a crack, but it looks like it might not be a success.

I also think that the third year was always going to be the hardest, with a lot of Sydneysiders now having 'done' the event and not feeling the need to go back a third time.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Yep having it the Australia Day weekend was a poor choice I reckon.

A lot of people have Australia Day traditions on, people go away, people will be hungover the day after and less likely to want to go sit out in the sun all day.

I 100% won’t be going on the Friday now, which is a real shame because that when all the women’s pool games are on which I really enjoy watching

T

TOCC

Could be the last year that Sydney hosts it anyway if the SFS gets knocked down and rebuilt. You certainly can't base the same tournament at ANZ Stadium, and whilst the new Parramatta Stadium may be an option, years of ignoring western Sydney means its an unknown quantity and they'll probably be a bit reluctant to take the risk.

Brisbane 10's has been a bit of a flop so maybe the QLD Govt will throw some cash towards hosting it at Suncorp, its a big stadium to fill though.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Could be the last year that Sydney hosts it anyway if the SFS gets knocked down and rebuilt. You certainly can't base the same tournament at ANZ Stadium, and whilst the new Parramatta Stadium may be an option, years of ignoring western Sydney means its an unknown quantity and they'll probably be a bit reluctant to take the risk.

Brisbane 10's has been a bit of a flop so maybe the QLD Govt will throw some cash towards hosting it at Suncorp, its a big stadium to fill though.

If it's to stay in Sydney the new Parramatta Stadium would be a good option. Failing that, I'd move it to Perth if I was the ARU/RA and play it at the new stadium.

T

TOCC

too big for North Sydney Oval?

lacks the corporate facilities, media facilities and the amenities are outdated, given the investment in hosting the tournament by NSW tourism i'm not sure they would want it hosted at an ageing facility.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Can RA change the location unilaterally? If Sydney can't host it at Moore Park as per their bid does it go back to WR (World Rugby) and the sevens circuit to decide who gets to host?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.