1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Worst Commentator Pole Action

Discussion in 'Rugby Matches' started by Dismal Pillock, Mar 23, 2014.

?

Worst Commentator?

Phil Kearns 59 vote(s) 43.1%
All of the above 11 vote(s) 8.0%
Tony Johnstone 8 vote(s) 5.8%
Grant Nesbit 7 vote(s) 5.1%
Keith Quinn 4 vote(s) 2.9%
Greg Martin 59 vote(s) 43.1%
Justin Marshall 7 vote(s) 5.1%
Shiggins 12 vote(s) 8.8%
Murray Mexted 11 vote(s) 8.0%
the bokke guy who sounds a bit posh 11 vote(s) 8.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dan54 Paul McLean (56)

F*** me, I just been reading a few of the comments, seems there are no good commentators for some of you fellas;), do you just turn sound down and watch game?o_O
  2. KiwiM Watty Friend (18)

This tweet seems to suggest it was Mannix - the tweet seems to be by a Robbie Nock - which links in with the Robbie that DP spoke of - Welsh commentator by the looks

Dan54 and Dismal Pillock like this.
  3. zer0 Alan Cameron (40)

There was an all to brief, blissful, time when Sky (NZ's) alternative of the ref mic didn't change his mic level at all, and instead just cut the commentary. Was fantastic.
    yourmatesam, KiwiM and Dismal Pillock like this.
  4. zer0 Alan Cameron (40)

On the topic of commentary, while it's not (proper) rugby, I've just been reminded that this gem exists.

Hound, boyo, waiopehu oldboy and 3 others like this.
  5. Dan54 Paul McLean (56)

Ok, probably was him, just didn't sound like him the bit I heard, mind you as I said didn't catch the whole game, and was only half watching, as I think I was looking at GGR at same time!:oops:
    KiwiM likes this.
  6. Dismal Pillock John Hipwell (52)

oh man how good would it be to have an "alternative" commentary team do the rugby. "AH CAHHN'T SPAKE. WE ALL CAN'T SPAKE. IT WERE DIABOLICAL. GET IM OFF."

sounds like NZ have been spared the anguish of shrieking Justin for RWC. I would still rather have him any day ahead of that arrogant Simon Mannix knowitall tosser though. Very interested to see who we'll get here on the 666th Pitcairns parallel.

Fuck knows how a rugby mad country like NZ can lose the tv rights to the most important event in the country to some shady fly-by-night start-up streaming service. "Spark." wft is that? It's like the Queen having her roller impounded and having to hope a dogsled pulled by fucken corgi's turns up on the day.
  7. waiopehu oldboy Tim Horan (67)

^ spark was formerly Telecom so while they're new to this streaming thing they've been annoying the shit out of their customers/ pre-privatisation owners since roughly 1985. Were the least-liked corporate in NZ but recently lost that title to ANZ & may soon also be overtaken by the other banks and/ or the fuel companies (the PM having recently confirmed that kiwis are indeed being fleeced at the bowser).
    Dismal Pillock likes this.
  8. Blue Andrew Slack (58)

"the PM having recently confirmed that kiwis are indeed being fleeced at the bowser"
    I'd be more worried that it has just been uncovered that your entire climate change policy is based on buying carbon credits that apparently did not exist from Russia and Ukraine :)

Are you actually saying rugby will not be on free to air or Sky????
  9. waiopehu oldboy Tim Horan (67)

^ Sky got out-bid for the rights & they're not happy about it. Spark have partnered with TVNZ who'll show some Pool games FTA with a one-hour delay & the KO matches live (yet to be confirmed but I reckon it'll be on "live delay" & full of ads). Plus if the stream falls over it'll allegedly be on FTA within five minutes. Gotta say I'm sceptical about the whole thing but will obviously be forking out for the stream plus probably a chromecast gizmo to get it from my laptop to my tv.
  10. Tex Ken Catchpole (46)

Not a commentator, strictly speaking, but as a pundit I'm going to nominate Christy Doran as a real drag on Fox's rugby product.

He can't write in compound sentences, instead his written pieces are a mangled mix of single sentence paragraphs with half-baked parochial chirps on lazy observations and hearsay. His work on the podcast is occasionally better, but he suffers from a crippling case of self importance which causes him to interrupt every single guest expert.
  11. John S Bob Loudon (25)

At least I didn't have to listen to Justin Marshall bang on watching on Kayo's feed of the ABvSA game.
    Tex likes this.
  12. formerflanker Bob Davidson (42)

Brilliant commentary when Nic Berry was charged to the ground (by big Sergio Parisse I think):
    "the refs gone down like a Nicholas Cage movie!"
    Dan54 and John S like this.
  13. Dan54 Paul McLean (56)

You shouldn't have to listen to him on any games, he works for Sky, and they not there, why we got Butler I assume, as Spark not one of Murdoch's stable!!
  14. Tex Ken Catchpole (46)

Christy Doran with his silver pen, delivering straight-faced unironic crap that usually stays on internet forums:

2. Reece Hodge — After being cleared during the match, the Australian winger has since been cited for his “dangerous tackle” on Peceli Yato, which saw the Fijian flanker concussed.

As the star openside flanker raced down the left-hand touch line he literally crashed straight into Hodge, who slightly braced for the contact after putting himself in an awkward position to tackle the Fijian.

Yato’s jaw collected Hodge’s right shoulder, which sent the Wallabies winger flying away.

Hodge has since been cited and could be made an example of by World Rugby that dangerous play won’t be tolerated.
  15. Beer Baron Vay Wilson (31)

Watching Fiji and Uruguay. Are Maloney and Merhtens having a competition who can go most all in with enthusiastic pronunciation of names. Maloney saying Radradra (?) is hilarious.
    Dismal Pillock, Silverado and Dan54 like this.
  16. Dctarget John Thornett (49)

As an aside I quite liked Merhtens, seems pretty humble.
  17. Dan54 Paul McLean (56)

Well I think Kearnsie hit heights of stupidity in build up for last night's game, saying good job to Fiji to losing to Uruguay because of Hodge incident! Although to be fair he keeping up on proving his knowledge of the game when he predicted Canada to beat Italy, seem to recall him having the Boks winning on Saturday too. Sometimes it better to shut up and let people think you an idiot instead of opening mouth and proving it, as old saying goes!
    Bullrush and formerflanker like this.
  18. John S Bob Loudon (25)

Greg Clark was starting to push my buttons with "Aussie ref Angus Gardner" in the Jap v Ire game. I don't care where the ref comes from and don't need to hear it a billion times
  19. waiopehu oldboy Tim Horan (67)

^ be thankful he didn't rattle off the Primary School(s) Gus attended & the name(s) of his pet goldfish. Or maybe he did?
    John S likes this.
  20. John S Bob Loudon (25)

Gordon Bray would have
    waiopehu oldboy likes this.