• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Worst Commentator Pole Action

Worst Commentator?

• Total voters

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I do like what I've heard from Maloney so far.

Also Rabs may not be as great as he once was, but he still does play-by-play commentary better than anyone in Australian rugby.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Who voted Marshall! I actually love listening to his commentary.

Probably a Kiwi. I understand he is not well liked over there although I don't know why. He would be one of my favourites (with the exception of those awkward pieces to camera he does, bantering with Kearns or someone before a Bled game or whatever to try and generate interest).

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Re: Justin Marshall - Sometimes it's hard to seperate the ex-player from the commentator. I always thought he was a bit over-rated as a player not to mention his whining when he went overseas and kept talking about picking overseas-based players for the ABs. Like he would have been selected anyway?!

Plus he was a Crusader....LOL

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Funnily enough, it was Ray Warren that was the initial stimulus to get away from rugby league. Can't stand the guy, that false RAISING YOU VOICE FOR ARTIFICIAL EXCITEMENT then followed by the whisper

This made me think of Darryl Eastlake. No matter what he was commentating, he was always over the top.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Had voted Kearns but have changed my mind after last nights game. Definitely not the worst out there when not calling the Tahs.

Maloney is hard to listen to, there is little to no flow to his calls. They need to keep him and Marto separated and things might be better. The call they both did of the Force and Rebels game was one of the worst I have heard. Hopefully he improves.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Andrew Mehrtens coming to grips with comm box very quickly. Although a bit embarrassing his level of abject creeping terror regarding any physical contact. "Oh God, look away, oh no, I'm not looking at that".

Maybe he needs Josh Kronfeld up there to chaperone him around the commentary box as well. "You can look now Mehrts."

MickeyDR

Bob McCowan (2)
Marto gets my vote. How hard is it to think before you speak!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Gregan in the Brumbies v Reds games had a shocker he said Jack Tomane followed by skipping Robbie Coleman and then called Andrew Smith, Aaron Smith... then to top it off he wished Larkham and Horwill good luck against the bye ... like they could lose.. I love George but jesus he was off Friday

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I don't mind a few mistakes. What I do mind is the almost total lack of any insight or analysis by Australian commentators. Clarke is, allegedly, the senior commentator. He is probably the worst of the bunch, all he does is describe in simple terms what we can see with our own eyes. Player A runs into contact, no way through there, gets tackled, player B passes the ball, no way through there, and on and on and bloody on.

The only bit of depth that he brings is to talk about records. This will be the Force's 5th win in a row, if they make it, blah blah blah, and other trivia like that.

We watched the Cheetahs Crusaders game, I know that some do not like the Saffer commentators, but at least they give the viewer some actual information, and make a bit of analytical comment that adds to the value of the vision which we can all see perfectly well, thanks very much Clarkey for your never-ending, boring, childish, simplistic, descriptions of the bleeding obvious.

I always resort to turning the volume right down. When the tests come around, we will watch the TEN telecast, even with the commercials. The commentary quality, not great, but better, makes up for that.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Gregan in the Brumbies v Reds games had a shocker he said Jack Tomane followed by skipping Robbie Coleman and then called Andrew Smith, Aaron Smith. then to top it off he wished Larkham and Horwill good luck against the bye . like they could lose.. I love George but jesus he was off Friday

That was bizarre. After he got Tomane's name wrong, he was a basket case for the next 30 seconds. It was like he had some sort of conniption.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think Kafes a good un, his very insightful with what he says and is a bias towards the brumbies but always corrects with a joke about the bias. He stays out of the forward stuff as he was a back. I would really like Kearns to explain a bit more about scrums and how they work. Heard Benny A on the podcast and read some Dan Palmer articles and they explained a bit of information around the forces and the tactics and why stuff happens and it showed me just how wrong some of the comments are a scrum time..

If Kearns stopped playing a fool and gave some insight even briefly itd go a long way.. even a session like Kafa runs on defence plays..

Not the.. oh dont know what the ref called there. Gis turning in.. he went straight up ...

Im sure we'd all love him in front of a monitor showing how and why the reds got a TH push over try

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If Kearns stopped playing a fool and gave some insight even briefly itd go a long way.. even a session like Kafa runs on defence plays..

Not the.. oh dont know what the ref called there. Gis turning in.. he went straight up .

Im sure we'd all love him in front of a monitor showing how and why the reds got a TH push over try

When I first started watching the Soup, I was flabbergasted at how little of substance Kearns had to say about anything at all, but particularly about scrums. He never, ever, had anything analytical to say, at all. Ever. All he went on about was how wonderful scrums are, the highlight of the game, and other juvenile nonsense like that. He has improved slightly over the years, but still says virtually nothing of substance.

This is a former world cup winning hooker and Australian captain. I suppose all we can say is, the game has changed a lot since he played (and it has, particularly in the tight), and he really does know nothing about today's scrums. But the appalling thing is, to me, he shows absolutely no sign of wanting to learn more, and share with us, his patient viewers.

At least the Martin/Kearns schoolboy hollering has been removed.