• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Really happy with our defence so far this season, we've conceded the fewest tries (10) and the fewest points (108) so far, even having played at least 1 more game then most other sides. Here's hoping we can keep it up into the crossover rounds.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Really happy with our defence so far this season, we've conceded the fewest tries (10) and the fewest points (108) so far, even having played at least 1 more game then most other sides. Here's hoping we can keep it up into the crossover rounds.
Particularly impressive when you consider we've had 7 yellow and 2 red cards across the 7 rounds so far. Does it say more about the Reds' defence, or others' inability to convert?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Particularly impressive when you consider we've had 7 yellow and 2 red cards across the 7 rounds so far. Does it say more about the Reds' defence, or others' inability to convert?

This is my main concern and I posted it in the game thread for the weekend.

Having caught up on the kiwi games over the weekend, I'm not sure we can play with 14 men against those sides for multiple weeks in a row and still come out with enough wins.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)

Having caught up on the kiwi games over the weekend, I'm not sure we can play with 14 men against those sides for multiple weeks in a row and still come out with enough wins.
Agreed. On the other hand, I'm actually looking forward to the matches against the kiwis instead of dreading them, which hasn't happened in a while. Hoping that we'll see some good contests.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

And part of the concern here, for me, is that a lot of the penalties & cards are careless. Tuilima’s clean out on the weekend was only ever likely to end one way, as Reg pointed out, the ball should have already been won.

I know it is not just the Reds struggling with the tackle height, but it is something we need to be better at. And there are still too many offside penalties for my liking (although I think the hard thing here is that almost every team seems to be regularly offside and it is one of those penalties that the refs seem to call inconsistently.

All that said, credit where it is due. The Reds have been good enough to deal with it and no one can deny this team is one where the players involved work their backsides off for each other.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Is there meant to be something more about that article?

The headline paints the picture that 'pedantic' Refs are killing the game. But the issue Latham is cranky about was actually fine by the Ref. It was the citing commissioner who pulled it up.

Feels like a half baked article?

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Is there meant to be something more about that article?

The headline paints the picture that 'pedantic' Refs are killing the game. But the issue Latham is cranky about was actually fine by the Ref. It was the citing commissioner who pulled it up.

Feels like a half baked article?
Here's the full article - MSN butchered the republish. He was having a crack at the SANZAAR intervention for that incident, and made general comments about stoppages and rulings that take away physicality ruining the game

Last edited:

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
And part of the concern here, for me, is that a lot of the penalties & cards are careless. Tuilima’s clean out on the weekend was only ever likely to end one way, as Reg pointed out, the ball should have already been won.

I know it is not just the Reds struggling with the tackle height, but it is something we need to be better at. And there are still too many offside penalties for my liking (although I think the hard thing here is that almost every team seems to be regularly offside and it is one of those penalties that the refs seem to call inconsistently.

All that said, credit where it is due. The Reds have been good enough to deal with it and no one can deny this team is one where the players involved work their backsides off for each other.
I also blame the coaches, McKellar and Thorne have come out and shaken their head at cards, and that 'wouldn't have happened in my day'

Tuilima's card was totally his fault, Slipper was nowhere near getting the ball and it was won at the back and he lined up Slipper and put the shot on he didn't need to.

Then you have Thorne after the game shaking his head saying, I'm a dinosaur and I'm not going to talk about it. Like seriously if your coach thinks it's a joke how do the players take it seriously..

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Then you have Thorne after the game shaking his head saying, I'm a dinosaur and I'm not going to talk about it. Like seriously if your coach thinks it's a joke how do the players take it seriously..
To be fair, that’s not what Bella Thorne said..

He did speak about the need for lowering height and accuracy at rucks, but said he didn’t want to talk about the specific incident, he didn’t complain, just probably not wise too discuss it prior to the actual judiciary hearing.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

For goodness sake. McKellar made a determinedly big noise about the "stop-start" nature and not enough rugby being played. [I happen to agree with him.] Thorne, having been previously criticised for commenting on the effect of refs, did his very best to simply not comment. If someone was making a noise, it wasn't Thorne and of course there was legitimacy behind any noise that did come. IMO.

It wasn't just Thorne shaking his head. So was I, and from the response I suspect McKellar was doing somewhat more than that.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Maybe the coaches should focus more on getting their teams executing efficiently if they want more ball in play time, eh.

Coaches definitely key here. I'd think some ref interpretations also though. TBF, if I was rationalising things the number of cards would have halved, but not for the Reds. :confused:

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Maybe the coaches should focus more on getting their teams executing efficiently if they want more ball in play time, eh.
Maybe the refs should call what they see and give up the on field coaching lessons

how is it a person with no experience in the front row can take minutes each scrum to school the players before they pack down?

IMO the cadence should be front row, second row, back row, crouch, bind, set. With a smaller pause between each so it flows instead of stop start.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
For goodness sake. McKellar made a determinedly big noise about the "stop-start" nature and not enough rugby being played. [I happen to agree with him.] Thorne, having been previously criticised for commenting on the effect of refs, did his very best to simply not comment. If someone was making a noise, it wasn't Thorne and of course there was legitimacy behind any noise that did come. IMO.

It wasn't just Thorne shaking his head. So was I, and from the response I suspect McKellar was doing somewhat more than that.
I literally said them both...

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
A couple of big selection decisions on the horizon. Guys like Vest and Daugunu probably unlucky not to have a game played this weekend to stake a claim to stay in the squad.

Uru probably starts at 6 with Wright gone, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) slots onto the bench as well with Blythe and Smith starting in the row. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) probably makes the bench over Vest.

Backline will be interesting. Petaia obviously stays at 15, Flook one wing... now you've got Daugunu who was good against the Brumbies, Jock who has been good all year and Vunivalu who's essentially your marquee back returning from injury. Only room for two of them.

I think Jock makes the bench as fullback and wing cover, a bit harsh on him but having him fresh in case Petaia breaks down is probably a good option. Then one of either Daugunu or Vunivalu starts, the other heads back to clubland for some Prem Grade rugby with the Doggies and waits for an opportunity.