• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

$1 million Rugby Revolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Fabricated teams, I guess there is no stopping a Premier Club team stumping up the cash or combining with another to form a bid.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I hope some do. Sunnybank in qld might. The gold and sunshine coast in qld will need a private ownership. Couple other Brisbane clubs might be able to convince major sponsors.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
To develop young footballers all 30 man squads must be made up of at least 10 players under 22 years of age.

If this gets up and going This is my biggest problem with the model. I think everyone should have to earn their place. A youth quota will gift opportunities to players who just don't deserve it. Making people work for a reward forces the cream to rise. (Capitalism at its best).

Suburban grounds sounds great for Sydney but sadly there aren't any good grounds to watch Rugby at in Queensland. None with TV facilities. We would have to use league grounds, couple soccer grounds around are suitable too.

However if there is 6 investors willing to throw money at this then we might be able to upgrade grounds such as Easts Bottomley Park and Brothers Crosby Park. But I just can't see the return on investment. Do we have 6 altruistic wealthy entrepreneurs? I would think this is an oxymoron.

Leichhardt Oval & Redfern are suburban league grounds, Langlands Park could be an option & Ballymore is sitting empty for most of the year.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Unless they have a Canberra team they'll be without Brumbies players.........

But it would be pretty idiotic of this group to organise such a competition and not include a wealthy club such as Vikings.........

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
People talking about "fabricated clubs" must all be from NSw and QLD. They're the only two non-fabricated teams in Super Rugby. Everyone else is used to the idea.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
To develop young footballers all 30 man squads must be made up of at least 10 players under 22 years of age.

If this gets up and going This is my biggest problem with the model. I think everyone should have to earn their place. A youth quota will gift opportunities to players who just don't deserve it. Making people work for a reward forces the cream to rise. (Capitalism at its best).

Suburban grounds sounds great for Sydney but sadly there aren't any good grounds to watch Rugby at in Queensland. None with TV facilities. We would have to use league grounds, couple soccer grounds around are suitable too.

However if there is 6 investors willing to throw money at this then we might be able to upgrade grounds such as Easts Bottomley Park and Brothers Crosby Park. But I just can't see the return on investment. Do we have 6 altruistic wealthy entrepreneurs? I would think this is an oxymoron.

I like the inclusion of the player's under 22. It could provide that higher level of competition required to further assist in developing our U20s players for the JRWC. That said, I'd cut the number in half in an attempt to focus on excellence from those most likely to progress into the U20s and Super Rugby and let those who will be late bloomers develop more in club rugby and find their way hopefully into this competition and then Super Rugby.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I like the inclusion of the player's under 22. It could provide that higher level of competition required to further assist in developing our U20s players for the JRWC. That said, I'd cut the number in half in an attempt to focus on excellence from those most likely to progress into the U20s and Super Rugby and let those who will be late bloomers develop more in club rugby and find their way hopefully into this competition and then Super Rugby.

Yeah I thought about it more and it actually sits ok with me because it probably won't exclude anyone deserved of selection over 22yo. I wouldn't want it any more then 10.

In the know I think.

Peter Burge (5)
Yeah I thought about it more and it actually sits ok with me because it probably won't exclude anyone deserved of selection over 22yo. I wouldn't want it any more then 10.
Surely the issue with Australian Rugby is rushing young guys into rep sides before they have toughened the hell up.
It hasn't worked up to now so why put an age on it?
Pick the best players.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Surely the issue with Australian Rugby is rushing young guys into rep sides before they have toughened the hell up.
It hasn't worked up to now so why put an age on it?
Pick the best players.

Well, I did read on Rugby Gold (Telegraph) that the ARU are looking into establishing a U21 competition to develop our future U20 squads. I'd be interested in seeing what they may have planned but if this competition got up and so did that, we could have a reasonable structure to develop our emerging talent. If they achieve the reschedule of club Rugby as they suggest (just start Club Rugby two weeks earlier) then we could have Schools, U21s Comp, Club and whatever this would be known as before they ever play a Super Rugby game. That's not too bad.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
People talking about "fabricated clubs" must all be from NSw and QLD. They're the only two non-fabricated teams in Super Rugby. Everyone else is used to the idea.
I'm a VIC and have mentioned it several times.

Fabricated somewhat, they represent a state/territory.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I'm a VIC and have mentioned it several times.

Fabricated somewhat, they represent a state/territory.

Yeah, I think it is one thing to fabricate for a whole state, but different completely at the lower level, when you would also be competing with the local club structure. Fabricating 6 teams in Brisbane and expecting them to be followed is asking too much.

T

TOCC

ARC model was horrible, the club structure was major reason the comp failed..

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
On the contrary, the fans really got behind the Fleet, Rams and Rays. It also looked to me that the Rebels and the Spirit had clear and loyal audiences as well. They all had distinct identities that worked well for their constituent teams. I had a great time supporting the Rams.

The problem was with the Turdnadoes and the Aceholes, both with dodgy names and terrible performances on the field.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
On the contrary, the fans really got behind the Fleet, Rams and Rays. It also looked to me that the Rebels and the Spirit had clear and loyal audiences as well. They all had distinct identities that worked well for their constituent teams. I had a great time supporting the Rams.

The problem was with the Turdnadoes and the Aceholes, both with dodgy names and terrible performances on the field.

Yep in Queensland this model definitely failed. Have teams such as Souths, Easts and Sunnybank being represented by a team based on the Gold Coast was never going to work. It would be like Manly people being expected to support their club players playing for Central Coast.

I think the next attempt still needs to include one team from Perth, Melbourne and Canberra no matter what. Then I would pick the strongest most financially viable clubs from QLD and NSW

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think the next attempt still needs to include one team from Perth, Melbourne and Canberra no matter what. Then I would pick the strongest most financially viable clubs from QLD and NSW

But the travel was one of the leading reasons the ARC sunk. Flying 25 blokes across the Nullabour and back every week is not a recipe for fiscal stability, sadly.

Livingstone is on the money in this regard- keep it on the Eastern seaboard to begin with, and bring in WA and VIC in a few years once the comp is on its feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.