• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2011 Spring Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I don't think that Deans will pick Beau when he has shown preference for Hodgson. I would pick Hodgson too notwithstanding that Beau was a terrific player for the Reds. I think that Matt is more of a test player than Beau is.

Dennis is also a test type of player: hard bastard meat and potatoes.

I will be disappointed if Morahan doesn't go as looks like the case, but am very pleased for Taps. Am also disappointed that it looks like JOC (James O'Connor) won't be playing at 12, as Bowside mentioned.

As a question of policy, and i say this not having seen much at all of Hodgson and accepting that Robinson has had a chance, dont you think it is appropriate to reward the player who had the better s. 15 even if the consensus is that that player may not be test standard - in a case where you're not talking about an established test player?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I'm also curious that Dennis is "hard bastard meat and potatoes" and Robinson is somehow not? Did I miss something?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As a question of policy, and i say this not having seen much at all of Hodgson and accepting that Robinson has had a chance, dont you think it is appropriate to reward the player who had the better s. 15 even if the consensus is that that player may not be test standard - in a case where you're not talking about an established test player?

That would be Hodgson...

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
There is clearly not much between them Slim. I'll just point out that one of them was a key player in a very successfull Super Rugby franchise this year and the other one was Hodgson.

Only relevant if the successful team is not Queensland.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hodgson had a fantastic Super rugby season, especially when Pocock was out. That win against the Highlanders was one of the best performances of any player the whole year.

People also seem to forget that Hodgson had two outstanding Super 14 seasons prior to this year.

I thought he was quite unlucky not to be nominated for the Super 14 Australian player of the year last year.

Robinson had a good breakout year, but Hodgson has had 3 very good seasons and has rightfully earned the backup spot to Pocock.

Hodgson would be the starting openside flanker at every other Australian team.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
People also seem to forget that Hodgson had two outstanding Super 14 seasons prior to this year.
Are we rewarding players for what they did 3 years ago now?

I thought he was quite unlucky not to be nominated for the Super 14 Australian player of the year last year.
But he didn't so what has that got to do with anything.

Robinson had a good breakout year, but Hodgson has had 3 very good seasons and has rightfully earned the backup spot to Pocock.
Refer to point one.

That is only your opinion and shouldn't be stated like it's a fact. You have no idea how he would actually go as a starting 7 at another franchise

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Are we rewarding players for what they did 3 years ago now?

No, we're rewarding players for what they did this year, last year, and the year before... He's been a consistently excellent performer in Super Rugby, and once again this year was no exception.

But he didn't so what has that got to do with anything.

It was simply a recognition of how good he was last season.

Refer to point one.

Referred.

That is only your opinion and shouldn't be stated like it's a fact. You have no idea how he would actually go as a starting 7 at another franchise

If he were to play like he has been at the Force then yes, it would be an accurate prediction.

F

François

In my opinion JOC (James O'Connor) should man up and give a phone call to Robbie and say: "look buddy, I've been good to you over the past 3 years, played wherever you wanted, and all. I had a great RWC campaign. All I'm asking now is ONE chance to impress you at 12 in a test match, because that's where I see my future both at Super rugby and test level."

Honestly when you want something, just asking for it can go a long way.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
In my opinion JOC (James O'Connor) should man up and give a phone call to Robbie and say: "look buddy, I've been good to you over the past 3 years, played wherever you wanted, and all. I had a great RWC campaign. All I'm asking now is ONE chance to impress you at 12 in a test match, because that's where I see my future both at Super rugby and test level."

To which Dingo replies: "sure mate I'll set an alarm to remind me before selections..."

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)

Top idea. Maybe he should suggest a few highlights in his hair too. You know, bond with the young blokes better. Whilst he's getting it done maybe he could shout himself a set of eyebrows.

T

Train Without a Station

He was also an abomination for the Wallabies against Samoa. Completely ineffectual and slipping off tackles all over the place.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He was also an abomination for the Wallabies against Samoa. Completely ineffectual and slipping off tackles all over the place.

And then Robinson did a better job when he came on?

Let's not allow one performance to dictate ones ability...

Otherwise we can scratch the entire Wallaby XV and then some...

Richo

John Thornett (49)

Player power?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
And then Robinson did a better job when he came on?

Let's not allow one performance to dictate ones ability...

Otherwise we can scratch the entire Wallaby XV and then some...

Cause beau got more than one performance to dictate his ability?

Status
Not open for further replies.