• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2011 Spring Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ahem...

10. If another poster does not understand or agree with your point after 3 or 4 attempts, LET IT GO, WALK AWAY. It is very boring for other posters when the thread gets hijacked by two people having an argument.

T

tranquility

It must be concerning for the Tahs, that in most of that club footage he was playing 8 and 6. Same goes for Cutch. Good players though.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Why would that concern them?
Because it means he's not getting experience playing #7. Alcock's just a kid so any time he gets playing there is very valuable. Look at Ashley-Cooper, he's a victim of his own versatility. Instead of being picked solely at #13 where he plays best, he's been shuffled around to inside, fullback or on the wing. His performance has suffered as a result. It's in the best interests of Alcock and Waratahs fans alike if he sticks to #7 and improves there.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
How about... Alcock? Has somebody already mentioned him? If you want 'hard bastard meat and potatoes' then surely he's your guy.

I enjoy looking at U-tube videos: they're a lot of fun; but they are only snapshots. Tahs fans were baying for Alcock to get more of a chance last year and when Waugh was out he had a terrific game against the Lions in Sydney. Later they went to the RSA and he blotted his copybook against the Sharks (IIRR) by not reading an easy move and the surprised Sharkie scored unopposed. The Tahs lost by 5. He did something similar against the Bulls.

After they returned and Waugh was healthy again, Alcock came off the bench and scored an amazing try from quite a way out after stepping about 3 Brumbies to score near the posts.

People remember the last bit but they forget the defensive lapses - not tackling lapses (he didn't fire a shot) - but defensive lapses. He has a lot to learn when the other side has the ball, but it's early days for him and I'll back him to improve.

I stand by my preference for Hodgson over Beau for test matches. I can never forget his game in Perth last year against the Tahs when he put on a magnificent test-like display in a losing team when Pocock was out. He was like Horatius. He was scarcely less impressive again this year when Pocock was absent again.

He didn't set the world on fire when he got a chance against Samoa in July but he was hardly the Lone Ranger that day. Beau also looked poor: he tried too hard, which is understandable as he didn't get much time.

I have nothing against Beau: he plays for my local club, The Rats, and I was appalled when his contract wasn't renewed at the Tahs. I wish he was back with them now. But if I had to put my house on who would be better to help win a tough test match, between Matt and Beau, I would put it on Matt. Others with equal sincerity would put their house on Beau.

I understand that. Different opinions - I'm all for them - and I'll tell you what: I wouldn't be surprised if my opinion changes to Beau - or another player, later on.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
At the end of the day you'd put your house, car and firstborn on pocock to help you win a test match.

Both these guys are fighting it out for the second spot and after the season beau had in my opinion he should be rewarded. Hodgeson isnt getting any younger, and I know we have now ditched dingos development theory, but I think in this situation where you have a guy who at 30 has only recently broke into the squad and even then was deemed not good enough to take to the world cup - then it is ok to try someone else. Especially when the someone else was a key player in a team which bettered all comers (dont mention the brumbies).

As I said earlier, I dont see beau as the be all and end all of our problems, but if you're playing a test match in the NH in December you need to be prepared for a out and out shitfight - and I think beau is an excellent shitfighter.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Some on this thread seem to be suggesting that Hodgson has only had one chance for the wallabies? Pretty sure I have seen him play in the gold more often than that!

Reactions: DPK
T

Train Without a Station

My biggest problem with the bloke is that he is picked in the squad for his versatility. The guy isn't versatile. He is an openside flanker, who happens to be at the same province as the number one openside in the country, so he plays out of a position as basically a second openside, because he happens to be not just the second best openside, but also the second best backrower at his province.

Because he is played out of position frequently the argument of versatility is often thrown up, however at the end of the day, being subbed on at 6 or 8 he offers no more specific value to that position, that say Beau Robinson. I'm on the same wavelength as Bowside, in that overall, they are both pretty much to be considered on par, however Beau has youth on his side. I'm not favouring him in a blind Robbie Deans 'I'll go with a inferior younger guy because maybe, possibly, someday, blue sky if the planets align he might turn out to be better' way, favouring youth over ability sort of way, just in a 'if two guys are equal, then pick the younger guy because he has more scope and time for improvement'.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
My biggest problem with the bloke is that he is picked in the squad for his versatility. The guy isn't versatile. He is an openside flanker, who happens to be at the same province as the number one openside in the country, so he plays out of a position as basically a second openside, because he happens to be not just the second best openside, but also the second best backrower at his province.

Because he is played out of position frequently the argument of versatility is often thrown up, however at the end of the day, being subbed on at 6 or 8 he offers no more specific value to that position, that say Beau Robinson. I'm on the same wavelength as Bowside, in that overall, they are both pretty much to be considered on par, however Beau has youth on his side. I'm not favouring him in a blind Robbie Deans 'I'll go with a inferior younger guy because maybe, possibly, someday, blue sky if the planets align he might turn out to be better' way, favouring youth over ability sort of way, just in a 'if two guys are equal, then pick the younger guy because he has more scope and time for improvement'.

And the ARU should have a process that gets him out of pococks shadow at open side, assuming he wants a starting gig in that position

T

Train Without a Station

That's a valid point. Why is Michael Lipman starting at 7 for the Rebels yet and Australian eligible player is being played out of position at the Force?

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
At the end of the day you'd put your house, car and firstborn on pocock to help you win a test match.

Both these guys are fighting it out for the second spot and after the season beau had in my opinion he should be rewarded. Hodgeson isnt getting any younger, and I know we have now ditched dingos development theory, but I think in this situation where you have a guy who at 30 has only recently broke into the squad and even then was deemed not good enough to take to the world cup - then it is ok to try someone else. Especially when the someone else was a key player in a team which bettered all comers (dont mention the brumbies).

As I said earlier, I dont see beau as the be all and end all of our problems, but if you're playing a test match in the NH in December you need to be prepared for a out and out shitfight - and I think beau is an excellent shitfighter.

Pressing agree isn't enough. Add in that he's had 6 shots in gold and hasn't cemented the second 7 spot - move on.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pressing agree isn't enough. Add in that he's had 6 shots in gold and hasn't cemented the second 7 spot - move on.

Those 5 appearances off the bench have added up to how many minutes?

Going through his wiki page he received pretty good G&GR ratings from those bench appearances...

Neither Hodgson or Robinson are as good as Pocock...

But Hodgson has been the next best available player for the past couple of seasons...

Robinson will probably get his opportunity in the future. But for now it's about picking the best players.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
That's a valid point. Why is Michael Lipman starting at 7 for the Rebels yet and Australian eligible player is being played out of position at the Force?

Hold the phone. Hodgson may not be a Test blindside or number 8, but he's still effective in both of those positions at the Super level.

Furthermore, he's a vital part of a backrow that works well as a unit, which I imagine would be one of the main things that keeps Brown, Pocock, and Hodgson at the Force: they've developed one of the best partnerships in the Australian franchises.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't understand how Lucas is going to improve the Wallaby squad, very solid player but no real threat anywhere he plays. Sort of like Hangers being selected or taking Ma'fu

Sent from my LG-E900 using Board Express

Scotty

David Codey (61)
He may be seen as a possible No. 2 halfback that can also cover other positions from the bench (including flyhalf and fullback). Handy to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.