• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2011 Spring Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
General
I agree with your comments on Ma'afu's game on Friday. He and Slipper were both strong in the scrums and rucks, what's more they didn't chip kick it. To me TPN had his best game on Friday. Prior to then, he looked unwell (and out of form).

Dean's continued selection of Alexander at THP has stopped the improvement of the Oz scrum IMO. True, scrummaging is an 8 man activity but Benny's hinging down has been chronic, give or take a game or two when he pushes up. I actually like to see his head pop up every now and then. Though that can be pinged also it's at least a promising sign.

It is a pity that Slipper and Robinson were injured at the start of the 2011 test season as the best Oz THP in Super rugby, Kepu, did not get a shot at the 3 jersey. Mind you Deans would probably have picked Benny anyway.

TPN has been poorly coached. I remember writing after I saw his first starting S14 game that he wouldn't last long in pro rugby with such a risky tackling technique. It has not served him, or the teams he has played for, very well IMO.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
With everyone fit put Mitchell on JOCs wing, Horne 13, JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 and Barnes and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the bench.
But when was the last time everyone was fit?

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Do remind us when last that happened? I can only seem to recall Nonu smashing little blokes and ramming their heads up their own outvalves.

It happened tonight when Dusautoir scored. Sure D isn't small but Nonu missed him badly.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Dean's continued selection of Alexander at THP has stopped the improvement of the Oz scrum IMO. True, scrummaging is an 8 man activity but Benny's hinging down has been chronic, give or take a game or two when he pushes up. I actually like to see his head pop up every now and then. Though that can be pinged also it's at least a promising sign.

It is a pity that Slipper and Robinson were injured at the start of the 2011 test season as the best Oz THP in Super rugby, Kepu, did not get a shot at the 3 jersey. Mind you Deans would probably have picked Benny anyway.

TPN has been poorly coached. I remember writing after I saw his first starting S14 game that he wouldn't last long in pro rugby with such a risky tackling technique. It has not served him, or the teams he has played for, very well IMO.

Agree with all that. The other superb bit of work Alexander did was to rave on before the game vs the Saffas about what a top referee Bryce Lawrence is. Absolute world class bull shitting. Definately some of the best I've ever seen.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So he only has to tackle 12's now?

see if you can follow: you want JOC (James O'Connor) to play 12 because he light on his feet and might dazzle NOn into missing a tackle. I point out that since 12 on 12 only happens on 1st phase, generally speaking, that's no reason to play JOC (James O'Connor) there. YOu say oh look Dussutour (?) beat him therefore he is vulnerable. i point out D is not the 12.
The take away message for you is that JOC (James O'Connor) is better running at Nonu from broken play with choices of his angles. he wont get that if he plays 12.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I agree. I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is struggling to be in our best backline when everyone is fit. I think he is best on the wing due to his lack of passing and I think Ioane, JOC (James O'Connor) and Mitchell are all better than him.

I would like to see JOC (James O'Connor) and Horne or Tapuai and Horne given a crack in the centres. I think either of those combinations has the potential of being a long term solution and a great centre pairing for Australia.

I don't like our sudden infatuation with wanting big defensive centres who make more dominant tackles. Barnes, JOC (James O'Connor), Tapuai, and Horne are all excellent defenders but also potent attackers. I think they offer the best of both worlds and won't let us down in defence.

McCabe has done an excellent job but I think his passing game needs to be developed before he is a long term option at 12. He's far better suited on the wing for the time being.

Nail on the head

JimboJoe1006

Chris McKivat (8)
i think the role of a 5/8 and the attributes we seek in one need to be defined.

Steady, level-headed, just as able, and willing, to bring in the magic of Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) as he is to smack the ball down field. Communicates with the team well so there is some short of structure and awareness. Makes difficult things look simple and makes average players look excellent.

P

pete88

With everyone fit put Mitchell on JOCs wing, Horne 13, JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 and Barnes and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the bench.
But when was the last time everyone was fit?

Wow, no love for Diggers?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Steady, level-headed, just as able, and willing, to bring in the magic of Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) as he is to smack the ball down field. Communicates with the team well so there is some short of structure and awareness. Makes difficult things look simple and makes average players look excellent.

hold on - he's had a few big stage melt downs. Anyway Ive started a thread to define what we're looking for so i wont hijack this one

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
McCabe also did the same vs Nonu. Shut him down repeatedly.

Whatever the concerns we have about his attack (yes, me too) you have to give him credit he has been a superb defender for us.

If he's to get another shot at it he is going to have to do a mountain of work upskilling in the super season. Crazy thing is, you'd be silly to write off his chances of doing it, the guy has a huge work ethic.

Would like to see Horne, Taps and O'Connor in the centre mix for eoyt.

We lost games because we couldn't score tries. The ball the backs got wasn't always great, but they needed to use it better nevertheless. The centres were part of that problem.

Both McCabe and Fainga'a can fit within an attacking game plan but not as they have been used for the Wallabies. If Barnes is to play 10, we'll probably need more dynamic centres.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
see if you can follow: you want JOC (James O'Connor) to play 12 because he light on his feet and might dazzle NOn into missing a tackle. I point out that since 12 on 12 only happens on 1st phase, generally speaking, that's no reason to play JOC (James O'Connor) there. YOu say oh look Dussutour (?) beat him therefore he is vulnerable. i point out D is not the 12.
The take away message for you is that JOC (James O'Connor) is better running at Nonu from broken play with choices of his angles. he wont get that if he plays 12.

12 on 12 doesn't even happen on most first phase ball. The flankers will cover the 10 and the 10 will slide onto the 12 to allow those outside to cover the fullback joining the line. Defending in your 22 they may go man on man.

Status
Not open for further replies.