• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You sure are.
I have a better feeling about Cron's capacity to maximise the result - but its a tough pool in anyone's language.

The draw means fans have a greater chance of believing we can make the quarter finals heading into our last game than we have in recent years.

Unless of course we lose to Wales which will mean all hope is gone immediately. ;)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Unless of course we lose to Wales which will mean all hope is gone immediately. ;)

I would expect us to based on the mere fact of their participation in the U20s 6 Nations nut form may be hard to gauge.
I expect England to be strong at this level for the foreseeable future by virtue of the breadth and depth of their club academy system - which I expect Wales to be an indirect beneficiary of.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would expect us to based on the mere fact of their participation in the U20s 6 Nations nut form may be hard to gauge.
I expect England to be strong at this level for the foreseeable future by virtue of the breadth and depth of their club academy system - which I expect Wales to be an indirect beneficiary of.

Agreed. England will remain dominant at under 20s.

Our chances increase substantially against Wales because they only have a population of 3 million!

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)

Our chances increase substantially against Wales because they only have a population of 3 million!

Plenty of young men just outside of the best 30-50 U20 players in England with a single Welsh grandparent that're happy for the opportunity to play U20s test football.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Welshies use their U20s as their A Side.

And a number of Academy Players get their Contracts cancelled if they no longer have English Eligibility.

Not quite as simple as all that lads, albeit I believe they may be changing it this year or next.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)

That's said rugby is their national sport and they have over four times the number of rugby players per capita compared to Australia; take the welsh lightly at ur own peril. They may not be overly fancy but they will fight to the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Qld u20's had a hit out against local Prem side West's on Saturday. The players are looking fit and ready for the season. The forwards performed well in particular Angus Scott Young in phase play. The backs lacked a bit in structure and did not see much ball down the line. For the first game of the season they did not fair too bad overall. Next trial against North's Prem's on Saturday. Missing from the team were Harry Nucifora and Alex Horan with Jayden Ngamanu a possibility of dropping down for the U20's comp.

Good work HTC look forward to some more previews if and when u can.

Oh btw who were the halves? (Don't worry about this ? Just looked over the page) Is that why the backs got lill ball ? Or was the game just not that open?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That's said rugby is their national sport and they have over four times the number of rugby players per capita compared to Australia; take the welsh lightly at ur own peril. They may not be overly fancy but they will fight to the end.

My posts in relation to this have all been pretty tongue in cheek.

Considering we lost to Scotland last time around, there's no counting our chickens (or Cornish Pasties) at this level.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Welshies use their U20s as their A Side.

And a number of Academy Players get their Contracts cancelled if they no longer have English Eligibility.

Not quite as simple as all that lads, albeit I believe they may be changing it this year or next.

Everyone (minor exaggeration) in Britain is eligible to play for every other nation by one means or another and they wouldn't lose English eligibility by playing U20s would they>

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Everyone (minor exaggeration) in Britain is eligible to play for every other nation by one means or another and they wouldn't lose English eligibility by playing U20s would they>
Wales, instead of like Argentina (Argentina XV, playing in the ARC) and England (Saxons) etc. Have chosen to make their U20s side their A side, and so lock off eligibility for everyone who plays against France, South Africa or Fiji U20s (other teams who've nominated their U20s as their A Side), as well as the full squad named for the Junior World Championship.

This has been genuinely enforced. When Scotland were struggling for Centres back in 2012 (glory be to our riches now) we selected Steve Shingler in our training squad for the 6 Nations, and Wales launched an official objection on the basis that he'd played for the U20s at the JRWC, because he didn't play in the France game in the 6 Nations, the SRU were under the impression that he wasn't locked in, but World Rugby/IRB confirmed he was tied.

While there are no limits to the number of Visa or non-English players in a Premiership Squad, the RFU provides a significant amount of funding with the condition that a certain percentage of your match day squads and greater squad are English Eligible, and with more and "foreign" players taking up contracts, every little helps.

It doesn't and wouldn't stop the cream from turning out, but there'll be a small handful of boys who the WRU would like in the squad turning down selection, either because of English ambitions or fear of losing their place at the club.

I'm also not entirely sure how the British Isles are dealt with to be honest. In football, FIFA says work it out yourselfs, so they use FIFA rules for the 4 Countries, plus individual Crown Dependencies players get to align with whoever they want. Not something I particularly care about unless Indyref 2.0 comes about TBH.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
Wales, instead of like Argentina (Argentina XV, playing in the ARC) and England (Saxons) etc. Have chosen to make their U20s side their A side, and so lock off eligibility for everyone who plays against France, South Africa or Fiji U20s (other teams who've nominated their U20s as their A Side), as well as the full squad named for the Junior World Championship....

Right you are on both counts Highlander, although the change you foresaw - whereby the Welsh replace the under 20s as their second team for the purposes of capturing international eligibility - has now come to pass.

In line with most of the comments here to date, it is basically a way of encouraging promising palyers with multiple eligibility options (or Aviva Premiership contracts) to enter the Welsh system.

More details here - http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-under-20s-replaced-new-12484221

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The NSW Gen Blues U20s had a hit out against a Sydney Uni team this arvo and Uni turned out winners 17-7 - I think.

When the U20s had their main players on, it was an even game with a lot of big hits from both teams. The Uni team was older and just had that year or three of growth over the 20s - I spotted a few ex-NSW U20s in their ranks.

But credit to them and their coaches they were first-class opposition.

At half time the score was 7-5 to the 20s but after the break when secondary players came on Uni spent a lot of time in the 20s' half - as the rain came down.

They scored from two kicks to the corner - one immediately as the juniors were yelling instructions to each other, as youngsters do these days on the rugby field, and Uni took a short quick throw as they were still yelling.

From the effect of the rain the U20's dropped just about every ball that they got when making a raid in the 4th quarter and they couldn't get to the other end, at least with the ball.

Uni had fewer reserves than the 20s, as the youngsters had virtually two teams, but if the 20s were fresher in the second half they also had to learn to play together as the others did earlier.

These were the starters for the U20s - I think, they think, this is their strongest run-on team.

1. Harry Johnson-Holmes
2. Phil Bradford
3. Harry Chapman
4. Lachlan Swinton
5. Tom Pirrodi
6. Justin Cooper
7. Lachie Simpson
8. Max Girdler
9. Theo Strang
10. Nick Wilkinson*
11. James Ramm
12. Dan Boardman
13. Ezra Chee-Kam
14. Yirrbi Jaffer-Williams*
15. Tim Clements

* In their U19 year. It will be a more mature team this year.

The front row was first class, as was the second row, but they are not tall timber - McCauley didn't play. I think Pirrodi will be the captain.

Good to see Theo Strang back, he has a terrific pass, and is combative. His schoolmate 8. Max Girdler had a blinder apart from dropping one pass.

The two U19 players didn't look out of place. 10. Wilkinson continues his rise in this game as he did last year for his school despite being a 12, really.

And you could say much the same about his school team mate last year also, winger Jaffer-Williams.

CB Set

Peter Burge (5)
The NSW Gen Blues U20s had a hit out against a Sydney Uni team this arvo and Uni turned out winners 17-7 - I think.
These were the starters for the U20s

etc etc

Good Evening Lee,

From what i have been told by those people who attended the trial today is that some strong players where not in that starting XV.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Nice to see 1, 2 and 3 from Wanderers Club in Newcastle...and only Harry Chapman from GPS to further his career. Good luck to all of them

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Last 15 mins of the game was not spectacular to watch. Conditions not great to critique players form.

No, not great conditions - and even after the rain went there was a lot of water on the ground for the rest of the match.

Uni dropped the ball a lot also then but not as much as the 20s did.

Captain - I forgot to mention Johnson-Holmes and Strang as possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.