• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It looks like Lachlan Swinton will be fit for the NSW Gen Blue U20s after being with Team Rehab for yonks.

He played in the Brisbane 10s for the Waratahs.

And against the Brumbies for the trial the week previous.

Big lump of a lad that Swinton.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^
Ha ha - he told me a few days before that he was hoping to play that weekend after being injured for yonks - but I imagined that he was talking about the U20 curtain raiser against a Country team before the Super Rugby trial, not for the Tahs.

He's a big enough lad for U20s but his future will be as a notter - not a 6 and not a second rower - and be contending against the likes of Hanigan if he gets that far.

Big engine and skilful.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I actually wouldn't mind seeing a professional team rock up with two 190-195cm locks if they were the best possible players (especially if they had two 190cm-ish back rowers with them).

Show me footage of a lock losing a lineout because he's 5cm shorter and I'd be very surprised. You usually lose due to bad execution of the throw/lift, poor movement/footwork on the ground, or bad timing. Outside of lineouts, other than a few rare circumstances like lock-on-lock kick off receptions, losing that height is not big deal.

The moment you broaden the physique you're looking for there's more talent to pick from, creating a john-west situation.

I mean for fuck's sake, Maro Itoje is considered the greatest thing since sliced bread and he's only 195cm.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I actually wouldn't mind seeing a professional team rock up with two 190-195cm locks if they were the best possible players (especially if they had two 190cm-ish back rowers with them).

Show me footage of a lock losing a lineout because he's 5cm shorter and I'd be very surprised. You usually lose due to bad execution of the throw/lift, poor movement/footwork on the ground, or bad timing. Outside of lineouts, other than a few rare circumstances like lock-on-lock kick off receptions, losing that height is not big deal.

The moment you broaden the physique you're looking for there's more talent to pick from, creating a john-west situation.

I mean for fuck's sake, Maro Itoje is considered the greatest thing since sliced bread and he's only 195cm.
I think Lee is referring to his physique. He is probably a bit lanky at this stage. A very good line out jumper and would be a real asset there but not as bulky as he probably needs to be if he wants to go all the way in the tight 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think Lee is referring to his physique. He is probably a bit lanky at this stage. A very good line out jumper and would be a real asset there but not as bulky as he probably needs to be if he wants to go all the way in the tight 5

I don't know about, Lee often speaks of 'notters' referring to our 190-95cm tall friends.

Not poo-pooing Lee or his opinion (it's generally held to be true), just saying in general, I believe that last little bit of height is overrated.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Agree, I use my 6 as first pod jumper in my team because he's a better jumper than my locks (even though he is shorter) because he's agile and easier to lift because he's lighter and has great technique. It's more about scrum time that I'd prefer the Kgs to the Cms

T

TOCC

shorter players can jump in the first pod because its more about speed and timing rather then height, its when you throw deeper that it becomes more about height.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Norths seem to be a little exited about the clash with the up and coming Qld u20's
2b4ff9cc53f00c9ccf7a8b11ba27b54d.jpg

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
shorter players can jump in the first pod because its more about speed and timing rather then height, its when you throw deeper that it becomes more about height.

You're not wrong, but with good footwork on the deck pre-jump to get your shoulder in front a 5cm advantage is just not as big as people make it out to be.

I'll add that those guys that are smaller in kgs often have vastly superior scrum tech due to better hip and spine articulation. Of course, this is an extreme example, but think Skelton (can the bloke squat to depth?) V Brad Thorn.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Qld u20's had a hit out against local Prem side West's on Saturday. The players are looking fit and ready for the season. The forwards performed well in particular Angus Scott Young in phase play. The backs lacked a bit in structure and did not see much ball down the line. For the first game of the season they did not fair too bad overall. Next trial against North's Prem's on Saturday. Missing from the team were Harry Nucifora and Alex Horan with Jayden Ngamanu a possibility of dropping down for the U20's comp.

Have you got a team list? Did Eadie play?

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Have you got a team list? Did Eadie play?
1. Harry Hoopert
2. Efu Mafua
3. Gavin Luka
4. Harry Hocking
5. Angus Blythe
6. Zac Sheperd
7. Liam Wright
8. Angus Scott Young
9. Eli Piltz
10. Hamish Stewart
11. Sam Edwards
12. Tony Hunt
13. Dylan Riley
14. Will Eadie
15. Clifton Setu

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Apologies if this has already been posted but here is the draw for the Under 20s Championship :

http://www.worldrugby.org/u20/fixtures

Australia play:
1 June vs Wales
4 June vs Samoa
9 June vs England all at Tbilisi
That's a tough pool. From the U20 6Nations Wales are handy and England are the team to beat.

Samoa won't take shape until after the Aussie and Kiwi 20s are picked (they're pinch a couple of key player from those nations).

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Apologies if this has already been posted but here is the draw for the Under 20s Championship :

http://www.worldrugby.org/u20/fixtures

Australia play:
1 June vs Wales
4 June vs Samoa
9 June vs England all at Tbilisi

That's a handy draw in a tough pool. If the selectors can refine their squad to the best 15 and second best 15, then they can play the best team in games 1 & 3, eight days apart, and play Samoa with the second best team. The finishers from the first game obviously start in the second game.

Then its only prayers to St. Catastrophy of the Injuries that are required to get the best possible outcome we can, which is likely to be best loser. Three bonus points required, two try bonuses and one close loss.

Just a glass half full kind of guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.