• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
^^^
If they don't want to play for their country then they can fuck off.

Players get a shitload more overseas ONCE they have played for the Wallabies - otherwise they generally considered not good enough and are paid accordingly
That's easy to say but if your country doesn't give you any opportunities and don't invest in you why would you come back for less money

S

sidelineview

U20s team in play off for 5th spot vs Italy tomorrow morning 9.00am

I have to wonder if Theo Strang is injured?

1.Cody Walker, NSW Gen Blue, Easts
2.Jordan Uelese, Melbourne Rebels, Melbourne University
3.Shambeckler Vui, Western Force, University of WA
4.Ryan McCauley, NSW Gen Blue, Easts
5.Harry Hockings, Queensland U20s, University of Queensland
6.Angus Scott-Young (VC), Queensland U20s, University of Queensland
7.Liam Wright, Queensland U20s, Easts
8.Reece Hewat (C), Queensland U20s, Norths
9.Harrison Goddard, Melbourne Rebels U20s, Randwick
10.Hamish Stewart (VC), Queensland Reds, Bond University
11.Simon Kennewell, Australian Sevens, Randwick
12.Sione Tuipulotu, Melbourne Rebels U20s, Southern Districts
13.Izaia Perese, Queensland Reds, Easts
14.Henry Hutchison, Australian Sevens, Randwick
15.Liam McNamara, Queensland Reds, Easts
Reserves
16.Efi Maafu, Queensland U20s, Wests
17.Harry Johnson-Holmes, NSW Gen Blue U20s, Sydney University
18.Gavin Luka, Queensland U20s, Bond University
19.Lachlan Swinton, NSW Gen Blue U20s, Sydney University
20.Rob Valetini, Brumbies, Wests
21.Harry Nucifora, Queensland U20s, Bond University
22.Nick Jooste, Brumbies U20s, Wests
23.Semisi Tupou, Melbourne Rebels U20s, Box Hill

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I thought the reason Goddard was in the squad in the first place was that Strang was injured?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

S

sidelineview

^^^
Strange was fit. Missed out in a year of very good half backs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have thought he'd get a go tonight. Personally I rate him ahead of Nucifora.
Foxtel is showing the game at 9.00am tomorrow.
It must be on live tonight on the internet.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I would have thought he'd get a go tonight. Personally I rate him ahead of Nucifora.
Foxtel is showing the game at 9.00am tomorrow.
It must be on live tonight on the internet.
I agree, but he's not in the squad. Game also on at 9.20 tonight on FoxSport 5

Moonrat

Frank Nicholson (4)
There has been a number of players who literally have had no time or opportunity.
Luka
Malolo
Blyth
Anderson
Riley
Jooste

You have to question why this is - I think it would be difficult to change out any of the front 3 as they have dominated all tourn.
Why was Blyth taken over Swain?
The influx of late arrivals really made a sham of the backs. Not saying they didn't play well, just not as well as they could of had they played a number of games together before the arrival in Georgia.
I think on reflection this will be a missed opportunity to showcase Aussie rugby because they could have won this tournament if they had had the correct preparation as a squad with all members available from the off and a little luck. Now wouldn't that have been a refreshing spell of good news in a code which is being down trodden.

S

sidelineview

I also think good game management skills need to be acknowledged in the selection process.
I thought Strang was excellent in that department.

The selectors will never get it right according to the punters but there are a lot of factors to consider for next year.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Ok my predictions for tonight:

SA by 15 points over England
NZ by 20 points over France

Aussies by 10 points over Italy
Ireland by 12 points over Samoa
Argentina by 20 points over Georgia and
Wales by 7 points over Scotland

That makes it a NZ v SA final, think France will come third and England fourth with the Aussies 5th.

Go you good things!!!

(Still in shock after the other nights defeat by England).

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
I also think good game management skills need to be acknowledged in the selection process.
I thought Strang was excellent in that department.

The selectors will never get it right according to the punters but there are a lot of factors to consider for next year.

I think both of you are right (Swain and Strang) to a degree, but I still think that the team selected was probably (90%) of them are the best we have for the u20's. I am sure that each of the teams at the championships have a would be could be story (injuries included).

I think the more important thing is that this competition should take precedence over Super Rugby to give the one's selected more time together; as stated before these are test matches. I unsure how the 7's guys fit into my plans, but we do have an unusual situation at present where a lot of 7's players are also u20 players (I sure this will happen again in the future).

In the main the young men have done a really good job for the time together and Australian Rugby should be proud of their efforts (as I am). I'm not sure we would beat NZ or SA but we are bloody competitive and will shake most teams (including the well prepared and well funded UK division). It's great development for the boys and gives us an insight into the future; so not all is lost.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not much development for the XV man game. We have lost the chance of making the top 4 but yet to see Ngamanu or Riley given a decent chance to develop or show their skills. The Sevens boys have their sevens contracts and will be going back there for the next couple of years and might not play XV again until 2020. Give the XV's boys a go.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Kennewell played half a game, Hutchison has one tournament of 7s left before heading to XVs leaving only McNamara who is part of the 7s squad going forward.

That said, you could make an argument that McNamara has been our best performed back through the tournament.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Kennewell played half a game, Hutchison has one tournament of 7s left before heading to XVs leaving only McNamara who is part of the 7s squad going forward.

That said, you could make an argument that McNamara has been our best performed back through the tournament.
Not disputing the fact that they are good, just stating the fact that they are lost to sevens and that Ngamanu has not had a run and who in my opinion would give as good a performance as McNamara.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
From memory Goddard was included after the ACT 9, Lonergan was concussed for the second time in the season in the Oceania tournament. Goddard and Strang were not originally selected.
No, Strang and Nucifora were also in Oceania squad, Goddard was on Super duties for the Rebels so not available. He was released for JWC. When the original under 20s JWC was announced Nucifora and Goddard were picked. As I said before, very competitive for halfbacks this year

Status
Not open for further replies.