• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Big win to the Aussies.

Australia 42 (Izaia Perese 3, Harrison Goddard, Sione Tuipulotu, Reece Hewat tries; Harrison Goddard 5, Harry Nucifora cons;) defeated Italy 19 (Roberto Dal Zilio 2, Giovanni D'onofrio tries; Antonio RIzzi 2 cons)

Moonrat

Frank Nicholson (4)
Very funny game to watch - score doesn't reflect 60 mins of the game.
1-3 outstanding again.
4-5 invisible in first 60. Swinton added some spice
6-8 Wright very good. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Hewatt average.
9-10 and 12 Rocks or Diamonds
13 He will get all the pats on the back but his distribution is very average.
11 and 14 never got into the game.
15 Well, best player within the team for me with Vui a close 2nd.

This was a very average Italian team with wholesale changes and as the game progressed wholesale injuries and for the first half they ruled the roost.
This in my opinion will be a great learning curve for Cron who was probably forced to take a few players he wouldn't have selected himself, and I am almost certain he will not fall into the trap of bringing players in so late again. I think we could all agree that individually the backs in particular are good players but they have just not clicked as frequently or as soon as they should have.

Who would have thought a number of years ago an England team that has been bullied at set piece (last nights game against the Baby Bokkes, will give them nightmares) would have an excellent set of backs and make the final off those backs and an Aussie team would dominate all upfront couldn't convert that possession and dominance into points. The world has gone crazy.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
It was a good win, however did not see much of Henry Hutchinson as I would have liked as he was always out of the picture and plays. Simon has not impressed at all this tour with his short stint last night, not sure if he is still carrying an injury, in which case he should never have been cleared to play, or is he just out of form? The front row that finished the game should be starting next game as they were demolishing the opposition scrums. Goddard was the better half on the day and should take the starting slot against Scotland. Let's hope we can finish 5th overall with 5 wins 1 loss and that by 1 point against England 20-19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moon Dog

Stan Wickham (3)
It was a good win, however did not see much of Henry Hutchinson as I would have liked as he was always out of the picture and plays. Simon has not impressed at all this tour with his short stint last night, not sure if he is still carrying an injury, in which case he should never have been cleared to play, or is he just out of form? The front row that finished the game should be starting next game as they were demolishing the opposition scrums. Goddard was the better half on the day and should take the starting slot against Scotland. Let's hope we can finish 5th overall with 5 wins 1 loss and that by 1 point against England 20-19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be playing Simon Kennewell as a backrower. He is not a winger

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
1-3 outstanding again.

This was a very average Italian team with wholesale changes and as the game progressed wholesale injuries and for the first half they ruled the roost.
This in my opinion will be a great learning curve for Cron who was probably forced to take a few players he wouldn't have selected himself, and I am almost certain he will not fall into the trap of bringing players in so late again. I think we could all agree that individually the backs in particular are good players but they have just not clicked as frequently or as soon as they should have.

Who would have thought a number of years ago an England team that has been bullied at set piece (last nights game against the Baby Bokkes, will give them nightmares) would have an excellent set of backs and make the final off those backs and an Aussie team would dominate all upfront couldn't convert that possession and dominance into points. The world has gone crazy.

Don't think i could of summarized it better.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
1-3 outstanding again.

That just about summarises the whole tournament involvement by the U20s to me. Thanks Moonrat.

T

TOCC

yeah that's not a good look, what were the medical staff doing? when its clear a player is injured like that they should be able to move onto the ground to treat him, and if the play moves back in vicinity of the injured player and the medical staff then the referee should blow it up. Allowing a clearly concussed player to stay on the ground like that and continue to participate in play only increases the risk of further injury.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Fuck is the touchie doing as well.

Main ref disappointing not to notice, but excusable, there's lots of tight hits, lots of hands in rucks to watch out for.

But more than a little bit inexcusable for the touchie not to flag it and stop the game.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think you are hard on the 10. Clearly he was given instructions to run the ball himself in the second half and he imposed himself on the game and then the opportunities came.

The 2 Uni boys (Holmes and Swinton) really made an impact off the bench. So much so, they probably should have been given longer or stated.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

I thought Stewart ran the ball well in the second half, he always seemed to make a few meters past when he first makes contact, I thought it was the 20-40min mark where the team struggled with game management and understanding how to deal with rush defence, they persisted in going wide despite the rush defence, Italy were tackling them behind the gain line consistently.

Then in the second half they had Stewart attacking the line and the centres running outside him to get behind the rush defence, I think they scored a try off it or at least had a few line breaks doing that. Also, they had a few chips over the top, which lead to a try,

It was good Australia adjusted their point of attack, but disappointing that it took until half time to realise, IMO it comes back to the experience and lack of game time which impacts on game management, they were playing to a script and not reading the defence.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Probably half time was the first opportunity for the coaching staff to modify the game plan to account for how the opposition was playing. Very difficult for young U20s players to read the game with such insight whilst actually playing and to change things on the field. If I'm right, more kudos to Cron and his staff.

S

sidelineview

What coulda been ........

England defeat the Springboks to meet the Kiwis in the Final.

The young players will take a lot out of the experience and the coaches etc will no doubt review the preparation for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.