• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
Anyone have any word on when Guy Porter might be available for the NSW Gen Blues U20s or has he moved elsewhere?

Learned One

Allen Oxlade (6)
Apparently Sydney Uni (Colts) are playing Rebels U20 in Wagga Wagga on Saturday.
Anyone got details? team lists?

The game is in Albury this afternoon . The squad is as follows
1. Jack Bliss
2. Declan Moore
3. Wayne Borsak
4. Callum McIntosh
5. Jack Blair
6. Byron Wicken
7. Jack McCalman
8. Jake Wainright
9. Daniel Calavassy
10. Christian Kagiassis
11. Dylan Oldfield
12. Jack Redden
13. He's Back - Tom Carter
14. Richie Williams
15. Matt Narracott
16. Alex Batho
17.Folau Fainga'a
18. William Ridley
19. Alexander Masima
20. Harrison Williams
21. Lincoln Whiteley
22. Nathaniel Tamworth
23. Tom Koerstz
24. Harry Potter
25. Milan Basson
26. Rory Suttor
27. Ben Hughes
28. Andrew Ferris

There could be some changes to the list above. Sydney Uni played yesterday against NSW U 20s. Some players are doubling up today .
Everyone is competing for spots in the squad for next weekend's match against Uni of Qld in the Australian Club Champs ( runners up ), so Victoria U 20s will have a tough game .
Sydney Uni haven't sent a colts team . The starting xv will be very strong.

Learned One

Allen Oxlade (6)
Anyone have any word on when Guy Porter might be available for the NSW Gen Blues U20s or has he moved elsewhere?

From a somewhat unreliable source, my son, Guy Porter is still in rehab from shoulder surgery. As such , unlikely to be available for selection in NSW Gen Blues U 20s, I would think. Unfortunate for Guy - good player . Believe he is still with Syd Uni so hopefully see him playing later in the year . Big opportunities in 1st grade back line this year.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Of the 3. The other 2 played right through to colts and grade with the club

Watch out for hooker Phil Bradford in the future; he's played at hooker and loosehead prop for Australian Schools. He's in great shape.

He's active enough for the backrow and plays it a bit like Tatafu Polota-Nau - who was a backrower at school and then was changed to hooker by the Brumbies.

I think Bradford could be anything in our game and the Waratahs should be all over him.

Jerseyslinger

Frank Row (1)
We were at the Reds U20 trial last night and out of the two games there was some great rugby. The first game, although I was told were fringe players was very entertaining. The backs got plenty of ball and was free flowing. The 2nd game seemed more scrappy and played more in the forwards.
The Norths team gave the Reds a bit of a touch up in the scrums.

There were a few notable standouts in the first game - the open side flanker and No 8, the No.9, No 10 and 12 were all standouts. The second game, no 4, no 10 and number 11 had solid performances. Some from the first game were brought up in the 2nd game and the team dynamic definately changed for the better.

The coaching staff have some difficult decisions to make before the season starts.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
We were at the Reds U20 trial last night and out of the two games there was some great rugby. The first game, although I was told were fringe players was very entertaining. The backs got plenty of ball and was free flowing. The 2nd game seemed more scrappy and played more in the forwards.

There were a few notable standouts in the first game - the open side flanker and No 8, the No.9, No 10 and 12 were all standouts. The second game, no 4, no 10 and number 11 had solid performances. Some from the first game were brought up in the 2nd game and the team dynamic definately changed for the better.

The coaching staff have some difficult decisions to make before the season starts.
10; 12; 13 in the first game combined well. The backline for the second game (A team) did not see much ball down the line. Agreed once the 12; 13 changed the team played better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rugby4life

Frank Row (1)

Yeah I agree. Some good football went down. Liked the look of some of those players too-some slick performances in there. Loose fowards played well as did the halves to deliver quality ball out wide.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Qld u20 have the base for a good team, they just need to play together rather than as individuals (hence the scrappy game). They have size and speed (Ngamanu, Eadie, Riley & Horan) in the backline that should be utilized to full effect.
It is good to have a 10 that has a run but he needs to get the balance right with tucking it and taking it through the middle or swinging it wide.
If the backline get organized they'll be hard to stop. My preference would be Alex Horan at 12 rather than Tony Hunt as he adds an extra play maker option.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
The Qld u20 have the base for a good team, they just need to play together rather than as individuals (hence the scrappy game). They have size and speed (Ngamanu, Eadie, Riley & Horan) in the backline that should be utilized to full effect.
It is good to have a 10 that has a run but he needs to get the balance right with tucking it and taking it through the middle or swinging it wide.
If the backline get organized they'll be hard to stop. My preference would be Alex Horan at 12 rather than Tony Hunt as he adds an extra play maker option.

Yeah that is a hard choice. Depends on the opposition. If the opposition is smaller maybe Yr right; however if they have a cash n bash #12 then Maybe tony can be used as a counter.

Not 100% convinced on Horan at 10 but still good to have the option of having him in the team. He has experience but have seen the. Backline get stifled with him at 10.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yeah that is a hard choice. Depends on the opposition. If the opposition is smaller maybe Yr right; however if they have a cash n bash #12 then Maybe tony can be used as a counter.

Not 100% convinced on Horan at 10 but still good to have the option of having him in the team. He has experience but have seen the. Backline get stifled with him at 10.

Tony is a good crash ball player, not much footwork or peripheral vision. Hamish will also run the ball more often than not, that is two runners of the ball and they'll quickly get found out (case in point Bond finals 2016) with Alex as a play maker you have Ngamanu at full back that comes into play with Riley and Eadie/Edwards out wide. We saw the expansive play in the first game (B team) with the ball moving along the back line and that dried up in the second game. Norths had some big forwards and penetration was difficult but still they tried through the middle. When Alex came on at 12 there seemed to be more of a flow out wide with a few set moves.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hamish is a very good player he just needs to learn to be a General not a foot soldier, his kicking is good and he has good hands too. I watched young Jack McGregor come on for the Rebels against the Force, he is a little General, he had full command of the backline and plays were going left and right. Competition is strong at 10 with Liam Moseley at he Brumbies & Jack at the Rebels, my money is Jack will be the Aus u20 5/8.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Hamish is a very good player he just needs to learn to be a General not a foot soldier, his kicking is good and he has good hands too. I watched young Jack McGregor come on for the Rebels against the Force, he is a little General, he had full command of the backline and plays were going left and right. Competition is strong at 10 with Liam Moseley at he Brumbies & Jack at the Rebels, my money is Jack will be the Aus u20 5/8.

I'm on Moseley. If he can maintain himself in the field for once;)

Think u will find they will take both bsc Liam's a good 12 as well

Status
Not open for further replies.