• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
And if we need outside backs then Hutchison and Kenewell if released by 7s. Is MacNamara still under 20s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I think he is (born 1997). I think maybe kenewell, but can't see all three in the team. I'm with HTC think there is enough talent with whom is on the paddock.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Yes I think he is (born 1997). I think maybe kenewell, but can't see all three in the team. I'm with HTC think there is enough talent with whom is on the paddock.

Yeah, might be moot point as HTC has pointed out there could be a clash in tournament dates, but as our results in recent years show., to be competitive we need our best 23 and McNamara and Kenewell have experience having played last year.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yeah, might be moot point as HTC has pointed out there could be a clash in tournament dates, but as our results in recent years show., to be competitive we need our best 23 and McNamara and Kenewell have experience having played last year.

You have a point in picking your best 23. Kenewell is a good player but did it really work last year? IMO it did not. The backline was very disoriented with players playing out of position just to get them on the field and it was a shamozzle. If we had a backline that fired last year we would have made the playoffs, we had the forwards barring a few lineout throws and 8th man stumbles.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Id be looking at the 12 and 13 to explain that: they look like league converts to me

Yeah maybe they are, but the 10 sets them. If he's not happy with there positioning he needs to communicate that. They tend to be very flat; maybe the coach wants a "bash up" 12 then off the shoulder 13?? Play it close? I prefer the space and hitting the line fast, then the old draw n pass, using speed and a swerve to beat the opposition. Of course u need to mix it up a lill, otherwise it's too easy to defend unless yr of a greater speed or superior in skill.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Ok this weeks results. And we have a new leader: well done to linespeed!

Linespeed 2/2 -14
Sage 2/2 -17
Thebreakdown 1/2 -25 &
HTC 1/2 and -28

Just couldn't give you 2/2 thebreakdow sorry mate. Would of loved to, but ..

Overall

Linespeed 2/2 -14
Sage 5/6 -62
HTC 4/6 -128
Thebreakdown 1/2 -25.

Well done guys. Don't forget all are welcome to give their view and score differences. Enter at any stage.

Next week two more great games. Who will win between the old rivals gen blue v the Reds. Plenty of jerseys up for grab in that one.

Then what may be a closer affair then most may think. Will the force get off the canvas and give the young brumbies a fright? Or will the brumbies show their true colours?

Gareth Wasik

Frank Row (1)
9 & 10 positions are going to be a hard choice for the selectors.
Jack McGreggor
Liam Moseley
Nick Jooste
Harry Nucifora
Harrison Goddard
Theo Strang
Spoilt for choice but I'd hate to be the one choosing.

Goddard is by far the best 9 at the moment on form.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I don't think you can carry more than two scrummies or two stand offs in the 26 man squad, unless the third is the best or 2nd best player in another position.

Having said that, combinations might come into it. If Goddard is the preferred scrumhalf and Sione the prefered Inside​ Center, that would give McGregor a boost ahead of Stewart/Mosley/Jooste. And the same would go for many others.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I don't think you can carry more than two scrummies or two stand offs in the 26 man squad, unless the third is the best or 2nd best player in another position.

Having said that, combinations might come into it. If Goddard is the preferred scrumhalf and Sione the prefered Inside​ Center, that would give McGregor a boost ahead of Stewart/Mosley/Jooste. And the same would go for many others.
Good point. Goddard and McGregor have played for a few years in NSW Schools and Aussie Schools so know each other's game. Strang was the reserve 9 but has stepped up after missing most of last year with injury.Nucifora has a lot of experience and is well and truely in the mix. The ACT 9 will be very handy next year.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)

Well how about a compromise. I think Strang has been the best half, closely followed by Nucifora and then Goddard. At the moment I think Stewart is just ahead of McGregor (this week will more of a confirmation of that). As Strang is very versatile (plays 9 & 10) I think he is a must. Stewart can play 10 or 12 as can Moseley. Therefore, if you have to have McGregor then one of Stewart or Moseley I think still has a chance.
These two can also play a little at 15 as well.

If you allow for a 26 man squad then that would be 11 reserves. 6 forwards and 5 backs. 2 of the 5 could be a combo of the four with 3 others. Now we just have to find the next best in each position (9&10) whom we already can agree on a few.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Good point. Goddard and McGregor have played for a few years in NSW Schools and Aussie Schools so know each other's game. Strang was the reserve 9 but has stepped up after missing most of last year with injury.Nucifora has a lot of experience and is well and truely in the mix. The ACT 9 will be very handy next year.

I think the next 3 games will sort out the pecking order. Qld vs Gen Blue, Rebels vs Gen Blue and Qld vs Brumbies.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well how about a compromise. I think Strang has been the best half, closely followed by Nucifora and then Goddard. At the moment I think Stewart is just ahead of McGregor (this week will more of a confirmation of that). As Strang is very versatile (plays 9 & 10) I think he is a must. Stewart can play 10 or 12 as can Moseley. Therefore, if you have to have McGregor then one of Stewart or Moseley I think still has a chance.
These two can also play a little at 15 as well.

If you allow for a 26 man squad then that would be 11 reserves. 6 forwards and 5 backs. 2 of the 5 could be a combo of the four with 3 others. Now we just have to find the next best in each position (9&10) whom we already can agree on a few.
The question is do you go for utility backs or 10/12's that could play also play outside as reserves taking into account that Ngamanu was until recently a #10 player? Jooste has also played 10/12/15 before, but to my mind still needs to prove himself.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
A lot of discussion about the halves - I mean 9 and 10.

I haven't seen Queensland play yet because of streaming problems but I look forward to seeing their young blokes in action.

It was good to see both both McGregor and Goddard play footie again. Jack Mac's injury at the Tahs U20s in 2016 is well-known, but Goddard was playing through injury also and was not at his best this time last year. It was good to see him play with confidence again.

It was a bit frustrating watching Jack on Sunday because he was just dishing the ball out, but when he ran in the second half he would have shown others the versatility I have been mentioning for some time.

Goddard has versatile skills also, I've seen him with only 9 on his back but he could play anywhere in the backline, at least on attack.

Going by the remarks of others the depth at 9 and 10 around the country seems to be uncommon but what the Aus U20s lacked last year were the rainmakers further out who could translate the good work by the tight forwards into tries - and there was good work there.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of chat about the rainmakers. There's a few steppers in there but not many who could break things open.

And if they are mentioned, their basic rugby skills of passing and catching the ball should be discussed and also their ability to deceive both before and after they get the ball. Running through a gap is the easy part.

As for Hutchison: although he turned 20 just a month ago he's one of the most valuable players for Aus Sevens now after being a little more than a year on the job.

I doubt if they would release him.

But if he did play U20s it would probably be on the wing although he wouldn't have the pace he had on the track at school - 10.79 secs for 100m.

He played both wing and outside centre for Aus Schools in his U16 year playing with the likes of Andrew Kellaway and against Damian McKenzie. When he left school I saw him play 13 for a Brumbies A side and two years ago he was with Gen Blue on the wing but got injured, if I remember correctly.

I'd back him to play anywhere he wanted to and whatever number he had on his back I'd warrant that he'd be the smartest guy on the field.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I've seen both Goddard and strang in the flesh against same opposition.
Strang is a standout in my opinion.
A problem McGregor has is that he seldom, if ever, takes on the line - that makes things too easy for the defence. He also falls off his passes: he was correcly pinged 3 or 4 times for forward passes two weeks ago: I reckon this is a symptom of his not taking in the line.
Judging by Lee's post, however, he was prepared to have a dab himself on the weekend. While that shows some versatility I am concerned that he was not prepared to do that in tighter game v the brumbies.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hamish Stewart will be the starting 10 I think, it's just a matter of whether Harry Nucifora lifts up his game in the next 2 rounds. Good option though to have Strang as a backup 9/10.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
I've enjoyed watching all the games this season on the live stream. I'm not as familiar with this age group as the year ahead, but have watched all these proposed options at 9 and 10 through their final school years and in this seasons games. I think that the selectors have some good choices ahead of them. For mine the best delivery comes form the ACT 9 Lonregan although his all round game needs developing, with Nucifora and Goddard are quite similar ( both excellent goal kickers). Strang is probably the busiest 9 and challenges the defense more than any. Regarding the 10's there are also some good choices. Stewart has demonstrated a big boot in all games and a desire to run a lot, but not much by way of distribution and using players outside him. The first 2 games for the Rebels were hard to get a read on McGregor with the Rebels unable to hold the ball for more than 2 or 3 phases against QLD not allowing him into the game, and then against ACT defending in very wet and windy conditions in their 22 for the whole second half. I thought his game v Force was very mature, using his strike players and playing with width. He looked inject himself more in the 2nd half once the game plan had been executed, but we will see how that develops with more games under his belt. The last 2 rounds will tell a better story as Stewart gets to show his stuff against the NSW side and McGregor the week after. I think that Strang, Goddard and Nucifora along with McGregor and Stewart will all go into camp and see what happens after that. Mosely looks a very solid player but more a true 12. I'm actually more interested in what the back row might look like. The ACT #6 who played in the Rebels game ( but not against NSW? ) looks certain but I'm not sure what it would look like after that. Girdler was very effective in tight as an 8 for NSW Gen Blue, and Swinton also looked strong as a 6 for Gen Blue. .. I can't say I've seen too many on ball 7's?

Status
Not open for further replies.