• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
I really don't want to get into it, they were just observations. I agree that the game plan was very affective. Just boring and certainly not world standard. And that is what we should be striving for.
4 Ferrari wheels and a bonnet does not make a Ferrari, however collect all the parts and put them together with a bit of tuning you may have a Ferrari.
Maybe you should revisit your opinion once we have played the Oceania Games/JRWC before comparing to world standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Looking forward to going down to the fields next to AAMI park to watch the u20s. If the Rebels play like they did against the Force under 20's, the tahs boys had better be able to handle the physicality. I haven't seen any of the Tahs u20s games but if they can't handle the physicality, they will get walked over. But if they can handle it, the Rebels boys are likely to produce errors in their play, the young Rebels are suspect to giving up easy points.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
http://www.rugbynews.net.au/2017-australian-u20s-extended-squad-announced/

Australia U20s Extended Squad:

Forwards

Harry Hoopert (QLD), Harry Johnson-Holmes (NSW), Cody Walker (NSW), Sham Vui (WA), Harry Chapman (NSW), Gavin Luka (QLD), Vaauli Faamausili (VIC), Angus Wagner (ACT), Jordan Uelese (Melbourne Rebels), Phil Bradford (NSW), Efi Maafu (QLD), Tom Horton (NSW), Harry Hockings (QLD), Angus Blyth (QLD), Ryan McCauley (NSW Waratahs), Esei Haangana (VIC), Darcy Swain (ACT), Angus Scott-Young (Queensland Reds), Max Girdler (NSW), Lachlan Swinton (NSW), Reece Hewat (QLD), Rob Leota (Melbourne Rebels), Rob Valetini (Brumbies), Liam Wright (QLD), Angus Allen (ACT), Brodie Leber (ACT)

Backs

Harrison Goddard (VIC), Harry Nucifora, (QLD), Ryan Lonergan (ACT), Theo Strang (NSW), Tate McDermott (Aussie 7s), Liam McNamara (Aussie 7s), Hamish Stewart (QLD), Nick Jooste (Brumbies), Tony Hunt (QLD), Sione Tuipulotu (Melbourne Rebels), Izaia Perese (Queensland Reds), Dylan Riley (Queensland Reds), Esere Chee Kam (NSW), Len Ikitau (ACT), Henry Hutchison (Aussie 7s), Simon Kennewell (Aussie 7s), Jayden Ngamanu (Queensland Reds), Angelo Leaupepe (VIC), Will Eadie (QLD), Jack Maddocks (Melbourne Rebels), Clay Uyen (WA), Semisi Tupou (VIC).

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Why you would name a team before the end of Super 20s, I do not know.

Logically, I'm going to presume all Super Rugby and 7s contacted players are a good chance to start (being the full timers), so a quick look at our XV is:

2. Jordan Uelsese
3. Shambeckler Vui
4. Ryan McCauley
6. Rob Valetini
7. Angus Scott-Young
8. Rob Leota
9. Ryan Lonergan/Tate McDermott
10. Nick Jooste
11. Henry Hutchinson/Semisi Tupou
12. Sione Tuipulotu
13. Izaia Perese/Dylan Riley/Simon Kennewell
14. Liam McNamara
15. Jack Maddocks/Jayden Ngamanu

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Wow - that's a surprise announcing it so early. It's good that something different is being done.

Cron must be appalled at some of the skill levels he has seen and no doubt given instruction to the state people about what each of the individuals have to work on before they get to Bond.

We may have a warm feeling about the inclusion of the Sevens and Super Rugby players but it means nothing if those outfits think they need them.

On the other hand if Cron can get all of the players on the list that he wants it will make a significant difference.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
http://www.rugbynews.net.au/2017-australian-u20s-extended-squad-announced/

Australia U20s Extended Squad:

Forwards

Harry Hoopert (QLD), Harry Johnson-Holmes (NSW), Cody Walker (NSW), Sham Vui (WA), Harry Chapman (NSW), Gavin Luka (QLD), Vaauli Faamausili (VIC), Angus Wagner (ACT), Jordan Uelese (Melbourne Rebels), Phil Bradford (NSW), Efi Maafu (QLD), Tom Horton (NSW), Harry Hockings (QLD), Angus Blyth (QLD), Ryan McCauley (NSW Waratahs), Esei Haangana (VIC), Darcy Swain (ACT), Angus Scott-Young (Queensland Reds), Max Girdler (NSW), Lachlan Swinton (NSW), Reece Hewat (QLD), Rob Leota (Melbourne Rebels), Rob Valetini (Brumbies), Liam Wright (QLD), Angus Allen (ACT), Brodie Leber (ACT)

Backs

Harrison Goddard (VIC), Harry Nucifora, (QLD), Ryan Lonergan (ACT), Theo Strang (NSW), Tate McDermott (Aussie 7s), Liam McNamara (Aussie 7s), Hamish Stewart (QLD), Nick Jooste (Brumbies), Tony Hunt (QLD), Sione Tuipulotu (Melbourne Rebels), Izaia Perese (Queensland Reds), Dylan Riley (Queensland Reds), Esere Chee Kam (NSW), Len Ikitau (ACT), Henry Hutchison (Aussie 7s), Simon Kennewell (Aussie 7s), Jayden Ngamanu (Queensland Reds), Angelo Leaupepe (VIC), Will Eadie (QLD), Jack Maddocks (Melbourne Rebels), Clay Uyen (WA), Semisi Tupou (VIC).

Actually one of the best squads we have had for a while, several players backing up from last year and the inclusion of several full time pros.

Despite some of the bashing the ARU have had of late, they have created 2 pathways that were desperately lacking lately in the Super u20s and the NRC. Hopefully should see some rewards from this going forward.

The inclusion of the sevens players i'm not sure about. Happy to have them in the squad, however i wouldn't want them missing out on any sevens to participate, no point cannibalizing one thing for another.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)

Logically, I'm going to presume all Super Rugby and 7s contacted players are a good chance to start (being the full timers), so a quick look at our XV is:

2. Jordan Uelsese
3. Shambeckler Vui
4. Ryan McCauley
6. Rob Valetini
7. Angus Scott-Young
8. Rob Leota
10. Nick Jooste
12. Sione Tuipulotu
14. Liam McNamara
I don't think Jooste has proved himself thus far to get a starting gig and I'd say Goddard and Nucifora before Lonergan and McDermott, because he's plays sevens with no real XV man experience other than school doesn't mean he'll slot right in at 15's.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Paris Sevens 13-14 May, London Sevens 20-21 May. It would be a real tight fit to get them into much squad training for 30 May JWC start.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I saw the Queensland U20s play for the first time on the Saturday stream. They are clearly the dominant team with more players likely to get on the plane to Georgia than any other.

I was impressed with their 10 Stewart and I thought he was better than Mason last year in Sydney - and I thought Mason was the Aussies' best back at the Worlds in 2016.

Also, he seems to play old - which is the same opinion I have of scrummie Strang from NSW. Maybe some who have seen more games than I have think others are better in those spots and if there are, that is good news for the Aussies.

The backs should be better than last year and they have to be: some of the Aussie passes in Manchester were more like negotiations between opposing parties rather than building blocks to get the team down the field.

I fear the tight five will not be so good because the 2016 version was the best group in the World U20s I can remember.

The front row should be decent by the standards of most years - not a high bar - but there is nobody showing the World form and brutality that second rowers Rodda and Tui played with in 2016. The best locks I have seen this year owe more to athleticism, and have "all the skills" [ATS]. Such players will be a dime a dozen at the Worlds.

Victorian Esei Ha'angana is a prospect for a second row bruiser role if he doesn't put on too much weight, but he hasn't turned 18 yet.

We usually have decent backrowers as most World U20 teams do if they are potential finalists, but this year's Aussie crop seem a step above our norm. There is a bit of ferocity in there and all kinds of lineout options. Here, also, we need bruising players, not just those with ATS; such lads will be overcome in the three positions by Sean McMahon types when they get off the plane.

I think the keys to our success will be lifting the basic skills in the players and showing improvement in the matches at Bond, even if it's just passing and catching the ball both ways - and in getting all the Sevens and Super Rugby players that Cron wants.

GPS Fantastic

Frank Nicholson (4)
There is very real potential for greatness - hope they can find room for players like Hewatt, Girdler, Strang, Stewart and others that are worthy - and then along with the experience gained from players returning from last year, and lessons learned from last year, there is a big pool of talented players to choose from - it will come down to putting together the best combinations within that group, kind of like picking the right combination of numbers to win Lotto!!!

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)

2. Jordan Uelsese
3. Shambeckler Vui
4. Ryan McCauley
6. Rob Valetini
7. Angus Scott-Young
8. Rob Leota
10. Nick Jooste
12. Sione Tuipulotu
14. Liam McNamara

I would put Liam Wright into 7. The couple of games he played at the World Championship last year were fantastic. Then I'd switch ASY (Angus Scott-Young) to 6.

Old Rugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
So, I watched the Reds v's Blues on the weekend. What terrible game of football. Let me qualify this by saying I had a kid playing in it. I always like to watch the warm ups, always think you can tell basic skills from that. The Reds second no.2 didn't land one line out throw at all, the 12 cannot pass. Very basic skills that by now should be well and truely in place.
During the game I noticed that both teams only ran to contact, never looking for gaps, off loads, counter attack etc. Absolutely no counter rucking, until the second half back for the Reds came on and got a steal. We had a no.9 who only passes, a 10 who basically only kicks, and a twelve old can't pass.
I really don't believe most of this is a failure in the players, more so the coaching! The most boring and unoriginal game plan ever! Now, some of you might say 'but they won, easily'. The problem with that is that is, if they were to play any NZ provincial U20's team the Reds would get done by 30 odd and the blues by 80 odd.

I watched the game on Saturday and I didn't have a son playing. I agree
with most of your comments. The game was terribly boring even for a rugby tragic like me. The 12 is big and is a brutal tackler but he has few ball skills.
Unless our plan is to run over teams then we have the wrong back line....wings excepted.
No ball players
I was disappointed how little seating in the new Wests Clubhouse as well

lightning rod

Chris McKivat (8)
"The door is still open for players in the Super U20s Championship as we are always watching and looking for players who will suit the way we want to play the game.”

for those not selected dont tear up your tickets
this is also part of the list published by the coach

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
There's a real danger in bringing these 7s blokes back to play 15s

What is that? I presume you mean danger to performance and not literal danger, but as an example Kennewell is 95kg and played U20s last year (I think just the warm-up games). He isn't too small, and he won't have forgotten how to play XVs in the space of months.

I can tell you the South African U20s squad do the same thing with their 7s boys, and they're generally excellent at 7s and U20s.

Like the Super Rugby contracted players, the 7s boys will probably only attend the second training camp. At this training camp, they'll have to perform and warrant their spot. Still, it's not dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.