• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Knee Rehab since last oct/nov. obviously picked in last years form.
Big call but then again seems to be what they're good at with these selections. I must admit his form last year was a great deal better than that of some
Selected in squad based on current form.

Form last year counts for tits (excuse me lady's). So whose he better than farmer??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
I would most certainly agree with you sage. However if does not seem to be the case. Let's take Bradford for example. Game 1 force Hooker outplayed him in this position, game 2 he had an adequate performance and last weeks game against the reds was shocking and shouldn't be getting on the plane today. How he maintains his place in the 23 for nsw and Gains selection into Aus squad after his super 20's performance this season is beyond me. So if performance is not based from 2017 super 20's I would suggest Horton is the better Hooker and suits the mould cron is looking for within this years squad.

Ok agree with that one and understand your take; however both the Qld and Rebels hooker's are going to be hard to beat. He wanna be one almighty effort from him (Horton). The Qld hooker is favourite imo; the subtly of his line-out throws alone would make him hard to resist. He does need to learn however not to run too far with the ball as his turnover rate is a lill high.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Qld hooker is favourite imo; the subtly of his line-out throws alone would make him hard to resist. He does need to learn however not to run too far with the ball as his turnover rate is a lill high.

That's a big call, Jordan Uelese is the incumbent, has a contract, and is looking good.

You'd hope they'd have a good reason to move him on.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
That's a big call, Jordan Uelese is the incumbent, has a contract, and is looking good.

You'd hope they'd have a good reason to move him on.

Yeah I know; we will have two more games to watch them.

To me the best hooker is the one that throws the best; yeah I know general play and hooking is also important but the most important role is throwing. For the Qld hooker its not ordinary throw ins but ones that make the mark perfectly. Just count the number of line-outs in a game. If you win those line-outs you have a big advantage; if your against a good line-out team then throwing becomes even more critical.

So incumbent non incumbent, I don't care for that, the guy with the form and the throw is my #1 pick. That said they need two hookers in the team, so both will probably be included.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah I know; we will have two more games to watch them.

To me the best hooker is the one that throws the best; yeah I know general play and hooking is also important but the most important role is throwing. For the Qld hooker its not ordinary throw ins but ones that make the mark perfectly. Just count the number of line-outs in a game. If you win those line-outs you have a big advantage; if your against a good line-out team then throwing becomes even more critical.

So incumbent non incumbent, I don't care for that, the guy with the form and the throw is my #1 pick. That said they need two hookers in the team, so both will probably be included.

If you're going to place that level of value on a hooker's set piece, surely there's something to be said for scrummaging? Uelese is certainly the best hooker in Australia U20s there.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
If you're going to place that level of value on a hooker's set piece, surely there's something to be said for scrummaging? Uelese is certainly the best hooker in Australia U20s there.

Wouldn't really know about that. I did say hooking was important, but not the most important. A hooker in a scrum does have an impact, however I think you will find that the props and second row combination have a greater impact in the scrum. You must also remember there are usually twice as many line-outs in a match than scrums, therefore the impact on the game tends to be greater.

People talk about the prop's in a scrum rather than "wow that hooker scrummages well!" So the scrum is a combination thing to me rather than just a hooker thing (even though it helps if he hooks). For mine one of the best scrums is the Force scrum; when they concentrated they were able to shift all sides, however not consistently.

The Melbourne scrum was dominant in patches against Qld early on, but towards the end Qld held them and even started to dominate them. The Rebels scrum is probably one of the more consistent scrums but it's probably not the best. So when you say the best hooker to me, that incorporates throwing in, hooking and general play; not just hooking.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The Melbourne scrum was dominant in patches against Qld early on: so too against the Brumbies.
In the second half they just lent on them and were pushed a couple of times.
I suspect they're not fit.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
O'k new blood here (good to see) and so far we have:

RugbyMum2 Gen Blue +28 Brumbies +1
HTC Gen Blue +5 Reds +30
SidelineShow Gen Blue +2 Reds +20
Sage Rebels +11 Reds +19
Farmer Rebels +12 Reds +23
Silverado Gen Blue +5 Reds +20.
Lightningrod Rebels +15 Reds +36.

Just over two hours to go. I have put the link to the live streaming in the teams list above. Just Linespeed and Thebreakdown to go.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Come'on Silverado, you been calling it well thus far, throw in a tip or two (and not one's like be good to your mother ;))

Farmer

Bob McCowan (2)
O'k this weekend (is starting soon!!) will be another showcase of Australian u20's rugby. During the week the announcement of the "wider" squad to travel to Georgia in June which raised some banter round the traps. This week we can keep our peeps on those chosen and hopefully gain an insight to their selection.

This afternoon we have the clash of the rebels v gen blue. This game will decide one of the finalists. Will Gen Blue, after watching Rocky I to IV (poor kids), eating raw eggs and meat, erase last weeks game and give it to the Rebels; or will the Rebels show that last years finals appearance wasn't a machination of mathematics?? The weather fine in Melbourne, slight breeze and we will have two teams going at it.

On Sunday we have this years favourites, the Reds, taking on the Young Brumbies (YB) at "marching" Park, Canberra. This match may reinforce the Reds selections, however we know that the YB will be wanting to dent their "grand slam" of wins in the competition. Pride v Stealth, hopefully the viewing punters are the winners.

To the tips this week, we have a new entrant Sideshowview (welcome) and some of the regulars. RugbyMum2 showed her cards early then redoubled when the cards looked bad. So far we have:

HTC Gen Blue +5 Reds +30
SidelineShow Gen Blue +2 Reds +20 &
Me Rebels +7 Reds +19

So if you want to throw your hat in the ring (Linespeed, Farmer or Thebreakdown) you only have about 3 hours to do so.
Rebels by 12 and can't go past the reds based on form so far up by 23.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
any team lists for this afternoon

Yes there are:

Melbourne Rebels U20s Team for Rd 5 v NSW Gen Blue:
  1. Mahe Vailanu
  2. Jordan Uelese
  3. Vaauli Faamausili
  4. Esei Haangana (Captain)
  5. Emmanuel Latu-Meafou
  6. Ben Collins
  7. Jack Farrell
  8. Jowell Samatua
  9. Harrison Goddard (Vice Captain)
  10. Jack McGregor
  11. Angelo Leaupepe
  12. Sione Tuipulotu
  13. Hunter Paisami
  14. Hayden Sargeant
  15. Oisin Clarken
RESERVES
  1. Callum Kent
  2. Declan Cox
  3. Afi Taivai
  4. Richard Clift
  5. Sunia Finefeuiaki
  6. Tim Sippel
  7. Andreas Livadaras
  8. Sione Tui
https://melbournerebels.com/2017/03/23/rebels-u20s-make-three-changes-for-final-round/

http://www.waratahs.com.au/Waratahs/MatchDay/LiveStream.aspx

1 Cody Walker
2 Jack Nettleton
3 Harry Johnson-Holmes
4 Ryan McCauley
5 Tom Piroddi
6 Lachlan Swinton
7 Lachlan Simpson
8 Max Girdler

9 Theo Strang
10 Bayley Kuenzle
11 James Ramm
12 Kepu Lokotui
13 Esera Chee Kam
14 Edward King
15 Tim Clements
Phillip Bradford
17 Harrison Chapman
18 Dan Matthews
19 Harry McLennan
20 Dom McGrath
21 Banjo Travers
22 Daniel Boardman
23 Jackson Mohi

http://www.waratahs.com.au/Waratahs...d-for-must-win-clash-against-Rebels-U20s.aspx

lightning rod

Chris McKivat (8)
It will be interesting to see if those chosen in the higher squad are kept as Gen Blue "finishers" again
If they feel they have achieved what they set out to do and next week is irrelevant the galloping Roosters will have earned themselves an early close to the season ...rebels by 15

Reds by 36+ because they wont be able to help themselves

Linespeed

Sydney Middleton (9)
O'k new blood here (good to see) and so far we have:

HTC Gen Blue +5 Reds +30
SidelineShow Gen Blue +2 Reds +20
Sage Rebels +11 Reds +19
Farmer Rebels +12 Reds +23
Silverado Gen Blue +5 Reds +20.
Lightningrod Rebels +15 Reds +36.

Just over two hours to go. I have put the link to the live streaming in the teams list above. Just Linespeed and Thebreakdown to go.

Ok late checkin for R5
Rebels by 12
Qld by 21

Status
Not open for further replies.