• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2022 Bledisloe Cup. Wallabies vs All Blacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Unless you’re injured, rested, taking leave, suspended or in concussion protocol, not playing the next match means you’re dropped. Doesn’t matter if your skillset is deemed not required for the next opponent, that still means “not good enough” to me.

Last edited:

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Personally I think we have to get over the idea that a player is dropped when he is not included. It might just be horses for courses.

I disagree. Just say it how it is. If you lack a skill and weren't selected you were dropped.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Don't worry guys, Fozzie's got his eye on the ball.

1663047773541.png

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
On reflection, based on injuries, I don’t believe the selections are that controversial, Samu aside…

Philip and Wright are probably both lucky to retain their spots.

Looking forward to see how Holloway goes at lock, as the role might suit him better.

No Quade and Lolesio… JOC (James O'Connor) not up to it… Foley is probably the best option left at the moment.

We don’t want to repeat what happened to Lolesio with Donaldson or Edmed.

My only concern is that Ikitau and Valetini are probably the only two players who can clear the ball out of the 22m…

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
On reflection, based on injuries, I don’t believe the selections are that controversial, Samu aside…

Philip and Wright are probably both lucky to retain their spots.

Looking forward to see how Holloway goes at lock, as the role might suit him better.

No Quade and Lolesio… JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) not up to it… Foley is probably the best option left at the moment.

We don’t want to repeat what happened to Lolesio with Donaldson or Edmed.

My only concern is that Ikitau and Valetini are probably the only two players who can clear the ball out of the 22m…
Kicking in general play does seem to be a potential issue. I assume Foketi can hoist the ball when required. Otherwise looks like Gordon and Ikitau are the primary kickers for territory. Can't see Jake putting up too many box kicks as he hasn't the control of White in terms of distance or placement, but many would think that's a good thing. Hopefully it doesn't mean we actually lose an attacking tactic (if not a weapon due to reluctance to chase).

Kellaway, Koroibete and Wright are serviceable kicking from the back, but we'll miss Hodge's boot until he comes on.

Bernard Foley just might add an extra dimension if some of his popgun kicks resemble a strategically placed short kick in behind the line. Foley presumably will take the main kicks for goal (assuming we get to have any).

I seem to have more confidence in the centre pairing of Foketi and Ikitau than most on here. To me, Foketi combines with Len better than the Paisami/Ikitau pairing.

Will be interesting to watch Holloway in the row. While I personally prefer any one of Swain, Neville or Frost, I don't dislike Holloway there and I think he can hold his own in general play against the ABs. Lineout might be most problematic.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Kellaway has a decent boot. Not sure about Foketi? Leaving Hodge out is odd, maybe Kellaway has been knocking down the door in training?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I mean, you are just tempting fate with these flippant 'it couldn't possibly get any worse' comments.

It's more the case of White who is our best box kicker kicking very poorly, Hodge pretty much not kicking at all and no one else in the backline having anything to write home about from their kicking.

So worrying that Foley doesn't have a long kicking game, Gordon not having as good a box kick as White and Kellaway being at 15 instead of Hodge seems like jumping at shadows.

They could also kick poorly but if you're comparing it to last start there's nothing that we could actually miss.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It's more the case of White who is our best box kicker kicking very poorly, Hodge pretty much not kicking at all and no one else in the backline having anything to write home about from their kicking.

So worrying that Foley doesn't have a long kicking game, Gordon not having as good a box kick as White and Kellaway being at 15 instead of Hodge seems like jumping at shadows.

They could also kick poorly but if you're comparing it to last start there's nothing that we could actually miss.

We don't have a serious line out here either.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We don't have a serious line out here either.

Our biggest issue for the last couple of tests has been throwing. If that improves we should be fine.

It doesn't matter how tall our jumpers are if we're getting picked off by someone in front because the throw is too low.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I seem to have more confidence in the centre pairing of Foketi and Ikitau than most on here. To me, Foketi combines with Len better than the Paisami/Ikitau pairing.

I agree, I thought they paired together well last time round, I hope Foketi has a blinder and we can see some continuity in the centres with these two for the rest of the year.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Our biggest issue for the last couple of tests has been throwing. If that improves we should be fine.

It doesn't matter how tall our jumpers are if we're getting picked off by someone in front because the throw is too low.

I disagree, I think there was only 1-2 bad throws, the rest seemed like some other issues going on.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don’t mind the choice of Foley at 10 and am looking forward to seeing him play. However putting him in between Gordon and Foketi behind a pack that does not look great on paper is not doing him any favours. It will be sink or swim. Hopefully the back row muscles up and we get some decent front foot ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.