• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2022 Bledisloe Cup. Wallabies vs All Blacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
you can see the channel 9 influence, mid week special occasion entertainment is their bread and butter

Very much so.

The difference of course being events like SOO have 'earned' the right to be a flagship event played mid-week and people plan around that.

Speaking to the casual sports fan this week and far too many didn't even know one of the biggest rugby events of the year would be showing live and free for their viewing pleasure tomorrow night.

Hell, even my own in-laws extended family, one of whom is a not long retired Reds player, were planning on having a belated birthday dinner tomorrow night. I had to point out that the naan breads likely wouldn't even be served by the time kick-off happened. Crisis averted.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Very much so.

The difference of course being events like SOO have 'earned' the right to be a flagship event played mid-week and people plan around that.

Speaking to the casual sports fan this week and far too many didn't even know one of the biggest rugby events of the year would be showing live and free for their viewing pleasure tomorrow night.

Hell, even my own in-laws extended family, one of whom is a not long retired Reds player, were planning on having a belated birthday dinner tomorrow night. I had to point out that the naan breads likely wouldn't even be served by the time kick-off happened. Crisis averted.
Thanks to the power of the internet you don't really need to watch sport live anymore. I have other obligations thatll mean I'll have to catch a replay (or, more likely, highlights if it's a loss).

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I have other obligations
hot-sexy.gif

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Fuck yeah, good work Melbourne. Now begs the question where are those bandwagoners when the Rebels play. Does make me think that I might be in the minority as a Wallabies fan at the ground tomorrow night.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I just looked it up, it's been 12 years since the Wallabies played the All Blacks in Melbourne. For all those complaining about the game being in Melbourne that's quite a long time in between games. That was also the last time Melbourne had a rugby championship/Tri nations game.

Ah yes, the Drew Mitchell red card game... there were definitely more Kiwis in the pub that night.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
@KevinO 12 years! Really didn't know it was that long. Glad the tickets have sold and hopefully plenty of ratings being on Thursday which I have no problem with tbf
Melbourne does get a Lions test and tour game, but rugby championship games in Melbourne is a total of 4. All against the AB. Played the Boks once in 2000 for the Mandela Challenge Plate outside of the Tri nations.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Fuck yeah, good work Melbourne. Now begs the question where are those bandwagoners when the Rebels play. Does make me think that I might be in the minority as a Wallabies fan at the ground tomorrow night.
Pretty sure at least half attending will be kiwis.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
West Coast Conspiracy, Big Perth at play.

Is next year's bled at MCG a trial for the RWC GF? Surely if we can put decent numbers in the 'G, the cup final is a lock.
Big Perth.... You mean Twiggy.

As much as the MCG is great I'd hate to see the RWC final on an Oval. It just doesn't sit right being there. And yes this is coming from a fickle Sydney Rugby Elitist.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Big Perth.... You mean Twiggy.

As much as the MCG is great I'd hate to see the RWC final on an Oval. It just doesn't sit right being there. And yes this is coming from a fickle Sydney Rugby Elitist.

Your right & its the biggest playing surface in the country with the upper stands a mile away. Even if you get seats in the half way you feel like your in sth yarra or richmond

Status
Not open for further replies.