• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

3rd Place Play Off - Wallabies v Wales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Sorry guys but fuck this. I just don't care. Not yet anyway, good on you all for moving on so quickly but I think I need a while. It's not like I eXpected we would win but how can you be over it already??? Sorry.

F

François

I don't know which starting backline I want to see, but I want a change.

Like some of you I think it's time for O'Connor to make the step up and play 12. For christsake it's not a question of size. Is McCabe such a big unit ? Is he a better crashball player than O'Connor would be ? I seriously doubt that. And O'Connor's got flair and a vastly more complete game.

And keep Horne at 13. Fainga'a just isn't up to the task. O'Connor & Horne. Now that has some appeal to it. Put AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the wing.

M

max11247

Sorry guys but fuck this. I just don't care. Not yet anyway, good on you all for moving on so quickly but I think I need a while. It's not like I eXpected we would win but how can you be over it already??? Sorry.

It is very easy to be over it. You put things in perspective. You remember the worst thing that happened in your life and you compare it to the wallabies getting outplayed by the all blacks.

Game is over. It is time for me to move on. I am genuinely looking forward to the game against Wales.

F

Fredfreduels

Like some of you I think it's time for O'Connor to make the step up and play 12. For christsake it's not a question of size. Is McCabe such a big unit ? Is he a better crashball player than O'Connor would be ? I seriously doubt that. And O'Connor's got flair and a vastly more complete game.

And keep Horne at 13. Fainga'a just isn't up to the task. O'Connor & Horne. Now that has some appeal to it. Put AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the wing.

Given McCabe's tackling ability and heart I think he is definitely a prospect to develop (I would prefer him at 13 though). With the right guidance he has what it takes.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)

S'possible. what about Beale tho. Is he fit. Actually think the idea of O'Connor at 10 is the way to go with Barnes at centre like someone else suggested. Hope Deans isn't reading this site. However, I think he is bound to stick by Cooper for one more game to save face. Hope so cos his confience must be shot

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
My team

1. Slipper
2. TPN
3. Alexander
4. Sharpe (c)
5. Vickerman
6. Higginbotham
7. Pocock
8. Samo
9. Burgess
10. Barnes
11. Ioane
12. Fainga'a
13. Horne
14. Turner
15. Beale

16. Fainga'a
17. Ma'afu
18. Simmons
19. McCalman
20. Phipps
21. JOC (James O'Connor)
22. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Higgers to be given strict instructions to play it tight or forget about gold in future.

Kepu, Moore, Horwill, Elsom, Genia, Cooper and McCabe look like they need a rest.

The fresh players in this team should (hopefully) be jumping out of their skins to play.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
S'possible. what about Beale tho. Is he fit. Actually think the idea of O'Connor at 10 is the way to go with Barnes at centre like someone else suggested. Hope Deans isn't reading this site. However, I think he is bound to stick by Cooper for one more game to save face. Hope so cos his confience must be shot

Cooper had a pretty confident last hour. Be careful what you wish for.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I still want to see the Wallabies put in a decent performance at this RWC against top class opposition. also, I suspect we have picked up some more injuries last night, Kepu looked in trouble and surely McCAbe has nothing left to give.

So I would start alexander at LH and slipper at TH. I would also bring higgenbottom in for Elsom. Sharpe to come onto the bench.

In the backs, biggest change I would make is to have Cooper play at 10, not some mutated combinationof the 10 and 15 positions. the strategy of moving him back isn't working. Barnes to 12 and A Faaingaa to 13. Fullback of Beale if fit, otherwise AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

If beale is fit, then bench looks like: Maafu, TPN, Sharpe, Mccalman, burgess, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) + one other (yet to be decided between horne and elsom)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
After the way McCallman scrummaged in the latter stages of the game he should not be allowed to play test football again.

:nta:How was it McCalaman's fault that the scrum was under so much pressure that no one could get the ball back to him?

Hookers don't strike for the ball any more and when that much pressure comes on the scrum they can't walk over the ball or lift a leg to strike it back.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
:nta:How was it McCalaman's fault that the scrum was under so much pressure that no one could get the ball back to him?

Hookers don't strike for the ball any more and when that much pressure comes on the scrum they can't walk over the ball or lift a leg to strike it back.

It was won, the ball was at the 2 row's feet. He should have continued to push and lock up the 2 row so that hey could step over the ball. As soon as he disengaged to get his hands on it the scrum screwed and awful amount.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I want to see a full-strength side to finish off the cup strong.

Hopefully this game will be the best of the tournament- running rugby at its best with neither team having anything to lose...

Loki74

Ward Prentice (10)
Give Sharpe a start. Last game and he has been playing as well as the other locks in any event. Horwill - well he's the captain and it is a test match so hard not to pick him. But if you are going to experiment a little, then Simmons to start. Let's see what he is made of, as he is the future.

Think you have to start Moore as he is playing head and shoulders above TPN. However, give Higginbotham a start in front of Rocky. I don't think Rocky will be around much longer anyway. But, as someone said above, need to tell him to play tight or he has no future at this level. We need a hard nut at 6, not a show pony out wide. However, I'd start Slipper as well. Again, he is the future, so get him in there.

If Cooper is going to stay in Union, then keep him at fly-half. He clearly needs the work and the experience. Second half he started to play better. But....tell him to defend at fly-half. I honestly can't understand why this hasn't already been done. The switch must be more difficult for the whole team. Constant rearrangement of positioning and associated patters. May be one reason why our attack has fallen apart, when there are 3 or 4 players that have to keep switching around throughout the game. He has to learn to make the first up tackle. No other player we have ever had (and we have had some poor defenders) has been shieled like this). And as was shown so clearly, Cooper is crap under the high ball in any event and teams are targetting that. So he can't hide out the back.

And Cooper has to take the hits as well in attack. No flick passes to no-one out the back just because he is going to get tackled. Take the tackle, recycle (assuming the forwards are there to support - that is a whole additional problem). O'Connor and Ioane can tough it out and they aren't any bigger tham him. He can do it (one very good example last night). If Cooper can't take it, then off to League (which is where he will likely head anyway).

Centres - why not give O'Connor a run? He makes more ground running straight than McCabe or Fainga'a anyway. He is small, but plays well above his weight. And he can tackle. I'd have him at 12 and Horne at 13, although I suspect we desperately need to unearth a world class centre between now and the next world cup. Someone at around the 100kg mark who can tackle and pass. Still, for this game, time we went back to the style we have been working on for the last 3 years - fast, attacking backline. For some reason, we worked on that solidly for the past few seasons, then abandoned it completely at the World Cup. Yes it is riskier than kick and chase, however, as none of our players know that game, not surprisingly they don't execute it particularly well. I got the impression that our whole game plan was being built around speed, but then we abandoned it for the World Cup.

Turner and Ioane on the wings. Beale at full back (if he is fit). If not, then Barnes at full back.

Hodgson and Phipps on the bench. Burgess is heading off o/s and give Hodgo a run, given that we should have had him over there as cover from the start.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would like to see a team of:

Alexander
Moore
Slipper
Sharpe
Horwill
Elsom
Pocock
Samo
Burgess
Cooper
Ioane
Barnes
Horne
O'Connor
Beale

S. Fainga'a
S. Ma'afu
R. Simmons
S. Higginbotham
M. Hodgson
N. Phipps
L. Turner

Genia has had an average RWC and doesn't need to play. Burgess has looked good in limited opportunities and deserves a chance. McCalman and Vickerman have had plenty of opportunities and can sit this one out. Kepu is probably crocked and can have a rest. Hodgson and Turner deserve a run off the bench. McCabe is crocked and doesn't need to put his shoulder through anymore battery. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has played every game and can have a rest. A. Fainga'a has had enough opportunities and Horne deserves another run. TPN hasn't looked great and may as well sit this one out. Phipps and Saia could use some more game time off the bench.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Pretty good team.

Almost no one will remember who won this game, but the young blokes in the team certainly will. That matters. Messing around too much is a bad idea, but those broken and fatigued players really need a rest. I doubt they have it in them to perform to the necessary level.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Pile on the dirt trackers for some serious game time. They will be hungry for some reward for their efforts on the training paddock and I am confident in them putting in a good performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.