• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

3rd Place Play Off - Wallabies v Wales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
The only changes i want to see are the centres where id go Barnes and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Horne and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). McCabe should get his shoulder done ASAP. Finger isn't good enough.

After last night we need to win. If you want to try some experimental combos wait for the 2 tests against Wales and Baabaas. I'm all for trying JOC (James O'Connor) and Horne in the centres then.

Swarley - That side does look very good going forward, but i'd just stick with QC (Quade Cooper)

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Deans has said that Vickerman, Moore, Kepu, McCabe & Beale are all in doubt for Friday (last paragraph of latest Smh article) so a "revamped" line up will be announced.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Anthony Fainga'a is not a test player. He's shown repeatedly this year that he has no "special connection" with QC (Quade Cooper) and his supposedly world-class defense has been upstages in terms of both tackle success rate and defensive reads/positioning. Get rid of him. Tapuai, Horne, JO'C, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)- All much better 12/13 prospects.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Deans has said that Vickerman, Moore, Kepu, McCabe & Beale are all in doubt for Friday (last paragraph of latest Smh article) so a "revamped" line up will be announced.

Anybody heard whether Priestland has recovered? Otherwise Hook vs wellies debate is set to continue.

Shane and Sharpe should lead teams out. Both get in on merit anyway -specially if vickerman is out

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Anthony Fainga'a is not a test player. He's shown repeatedly this year that he has no "special connection" with QC (Quade Cooper) and his supposedly world-class defense has been upstages in terms of both tackle success rate and defensive reads/positioning. Get rid of him. Tapuai, Horne, JO'C, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)- All much better 12/13 prospects.

Never really understood the merits of either twin. Thought it was a marketing thing

vidiot

John Solomon (38)

Short short turnaround after two absolutely colossal games. The team is likely to select itself on the basis of who isn't broken and still has the legs to take a turn around the park again.

I'm not really a believer in this test player "benchmark". If you pick the best available guys for the positions you have, they have reached the benchmark, for all it makes us uncomfortable up against Nonu and Smith.

Fainga'a A is no AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), who had an ordinary year anyhow, or JOC (James O'Connor), but they were running around already. Horne was broken too long and then again, and Taps only came to attention in the last millisecs before the RWC.

Ant or Tom Carter or whoever else.... Watching the endless replays of world cups past on fox reminds that while our fond memories are of legends in great form, the journeyman squeezing out a solid game in a good team performance is a big part of what wins competitions.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I completely understand whyA Fainga'a was selected. But I just don't think he adds enough to warrant continued selection. Horne has been great in his few moments at the RWC. I really hope he can stay healthy. I think Taps would be a great option for the spring tour.

H

H...

Isn't he knock on Sharpe that he goes missing against the ABs? Kinda the reason we left Giteau at home?

If that's true, it's fair enough he didn't get a run. He gets his hundredth cap this weekend I assum (I would hope).

H

H...

I completely understand whyA Fainga'a was selected. But I just don't think he adds enough to warrant continued selection. Horne has been great in his few moments at the RWC. I really hope he can stay healthy. I think Taps would be a great option for the spring tour.

The distinction between understanding why a player was selected initially but not wanting them selected in the future and saying they didn't deserve selection in the frist place is one not made often enough. Good post.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Perhaps the other thing, can Wallabies throw off Eden park hodoo?

It will happen Dan, granted I'll probably be in an old folks home by that time but I'm sure the wait will be worth it :)

Edit: Yes, I've thought about it, was confident we can beat Wales without Sam but now I'm thinking Wales, Eden Park just gives our guys the hebejebes.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
It will happen Dan, granted I'll probably be in an old folks home by that time but I'm sure the wait will be worth it :)

Edit: Yes, I've thought about it, was confident we can beat Wales without Sam but now I'm thinking Wales, Eden Park just gives our guys the hebejebes.

Nothing to Eden Park other than 1) weather 2) All Blacks 3) rabid kiwi supporters 4 greasy surface. One of us is going to break the hoodoo

Prayer to the gnome (yes he is back!)

1) Can I have a hug please?

2) Also can you remind everyone that we're not a bitter and chippy country now, but an optimistic one.

3) Do your magic and get people to let go of the red card now and

4) look forward to smashing the crims.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
With the above likely injuries, I'd like to see:

1. Alexander
2. TPN
3. Slipper
4. Horwill
5. Sharpe
6. Higgers
7. Pocock
8. Samo
9. Genia
10. Barnes
11. Ioane
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Horne
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Cooper

It is a fair old mix around in the backs, but it isn't like they have been overly cohesive anyway. See what Cooper can do from out wider. See how JOC (James O'Connor) and Barnes can combine. Give Higgers a shot in his actual position.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm not really a believer in this test player "benchmark". If you pick the best available guys for the positions you have, they have reached the benchmark, for all it makes us uncomfortable up against Nonu and Smith.

Fainga'a A is no AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), who had an ordinary year anyhow, or JOC (James O'Connor), but they were running around already. Horne was broken too long and then again, and Taps only came to attention in the last millisecs before the RWC.

Ant or Tom Carter or whoever else.... Watching the endless replays of world cups past on fox reminds that while our fond memories are of legends in great form, the journeyman squeezing out a solid game in a good team performance is a big part of what wins competitions.

I'm not saying he's a good 'Super Rugby type' player either. I don't rate him and I simply mean that his skills don't warrant a place in the Australian side. In fact, I wouldn't have him starting for the Reds next year. I honestly think that Tapuai and Harris are better centres than he is, and with Davies/Lance/Morahan/Lucas all competing for a place in the back three with Ioane, there's no space for him. Same with his brother. Saia tries his hardest but his scrummaging and throwing aren't up to the level of Hanson- and they are the two most critical aspects of playing hooker.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm not saying he's a good 'Super Rugby type' player either. I don't rate him and I simply mean that his skills don't warrant a place in the Australian side.

Huge debate over on gwlad on the rising stars and what we all thought of them 4 long weeks ago:

Charteris - never rated him, never saw him as an International player, always thought he was a lanky lad who didn't even win all the lines-out he should.
Falatau - Thought he was another flash in the pan one dimensioned Islander type, too young and weak to be a full International.
Preistland - I couldn't see how he could get in team in front of the count.
Warburton: Up and coming, showing some good stuff, but not ready to replace Martyn yet.
Bennett: We've seen time and time again he's not up to it.

Errr, I was wrong, and so wrong I can't believe. All the above ( and others ) have impressed so much. I'm most impressed with Charteris though - what hard work and heart he has put in - Respect to the Giraffereis.

Where I was right was that from the first of the warm up games I could see this team were freakishly fit. I hope these guys keep aware of how they can peak if they try hard enough and with the right back up.

My point here is that there are players like these (or others playing in unfashionable clubs/ franchises) that given the right squad can be world beaters. Just need to get them into the squad system. the blend is what matters and that's the mark of a grreat coach. the alternative is that you fill the squad with star names and you get the madness of the French or the orcs

Status
Not open for further replies.