• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

3rd Place Play Off - Wallabies v Wales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Gotta say I am looking forward to this after the disappointment of last night. Hope we can put in a good show.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I really can't see us winning this one. Based on the Wobs showings over the last few years I just don't think they'll turn up for it - you know, some ticker, mongrel, a real desire to win after last nights showing - all that stuff. Wales on the other hand will be hurting and hurting badly. I won't be surprised if they punish us and win handsomely.

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
Cooper had a pretty confident last hour. Be careful what you wish for.

WHAT!
Rubbish.
Every player who runs on should be 150% confident, that is why they get to wear the jersy.
But confidence is Nothing if you play like shite.
He is the consummate non performer at international test rugby, and a testament to the Deans Experiment.

I just wonder how Gitts felt watching that game last night, think I have a fairly good idea too.

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
I do understand that my rugby vision is slightly scewif today with the pain and humiliation of last night...but....
I have to say that I will not be the least bit surprised to see Wales walk all over us come Friday.
Why?
I simply do not think that DEANS will learn anything from last night.
And, the Welsh simply carry more...dare I say it... team spirit than the current Wallabie squad.

I will not go on about individuals any more, the buck stops with the coach.

ps. If he does not put Shapie on in the first 15, I may even refuse to watch the match. It is not just about him being one of the best locks in the world, it is also about what he has to offer THE TEAM SPIRIT with his excellent leadership, something the current squad is sadly missing.

H

H...

I'd pretty much reverse the squad and start the training pitch fodder.

Genia can have the day off, as can McCabe, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Vickerman, Samo.

Burgess, Turner and Horne certainlu deserve a start. Perhaps Hodgson also.

Phipps to get at least half an hour.

H

H...

WHAT!
Rubbish.
Every player who runs on should be 150% confident, that is why they get to wear the jersy.
But confidence is Nothing if you play like shite.
He is the consummate non performer at international test rugby, and a testament to the Deans Experiment.

I just wonder how Gitts felt watching that game last night, think I have a fairly good idea too.

Giteau wouldn't have been any better, he just would have made less obvious errors.

Gits never won a test in NZ either.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Sorry guys but fuck this. I just don't care. Not yet anyway, good on you all for moving on so quickly but I think I need a while. It's not like I eXpected we would win but how can you be over it already??? Sorry.

Everyone reacts differently to things, depending on what they see. Last week some saw a magnificent win against SA and let their hopes build up. I saw a poor gameplan, abysmal play at 9 & 10 and forward execution being masked by a massive defensive effort against a team that has huge grunt but not a lot of rugby smarts. I fully expected what happened this week and so was mentally prepared. (Picked the result and was within two points of the points difference on Superbru.) That week's preparation just left me seething over what could have been with better coaching, better selection and better gameplan.

So now I want a team picked that can perform to its strengths and can play the sort of rugby Australia is known for. My team would be:

1. Slipper 2. Moore 3. Kepu
4. Horwill 5. Sharpe (captaining Australia in his farewell test)
6. Elsom 7. Pocock 8. Higginbotham
9. Burgess 10. Barnes 12. JOC (James O'Connor) 13. Horne
11. Ioane 15. Beale 14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

16. TPN 17. Alexander 18. Vickerman 19. Hodgson 20. Samo 21. Genia 22. Turner
That's the best we can do with the squad that's there and fit.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I'd pretty much reverse the squad and start the training fodder

Why? This is a World Cup playoff game remember, against a top 5 team in a match worth double ranking points. I guarantee some of the people on here suggesting wholesale changes were the same ones who harangued Deans for his selections against Samoa earlier this year for not running on his best 22.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Why? This is a World Cup playoff game remember, against a top 5 team in a match worth double ranking points. I guarantee some of the people on here suggesting wholesale changes were the same ones who harangued Deans for his selections against Samoa earlier this year for not running on his best 22.

S'wrong to say there is nothing riding on this game. France's position on world rankings will rightly be seen as a joke. Double points and two young exciting teams. Provided both teams have enough unijured palyers it will be the match the semis weren't and the final will not be.

(as you can see the optimism gnome has defied all my attempts to kill him off and is back with a vengeance)

Am pretty sure Cooper will play 10. Deans and ARU have staked too much on him at least for RWC

Fanatic, I see we're going to be seeing a LOT of each other over the next year. First Friday. Return match 3 December and then a 3 test tour of Australia next winter. It's going to be a lot of fun. Can't wait

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
1. Slipper 2. Moore 3. Kepu
4. Horwill 5. Sharpe (captaining Australia in his farewell test)
6. Elsom 7. Pocock 8. Higginbotham
9. Burgess 10. Barnes 12. JOC (James O'Connor) 13. Horne
11. Ioane 15. Beale 14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

16. TPN 17. Alexander 18. Vickerman 19. Hodgson 20. Samo 21. Genia 22. Turner

I expect Deans to play Genia, but this looks about right.

H

H...

The tournament is over for us. The 3rd place game is a meaningless exhibition match where we can reward the guys at the back end of the 30 for their hard work.

Not to mention that the backups are likely to be more motivated. Add in the fact that the 1st XV has looked 6 shades of shit all tournament anyway, and I don't see why you wouldn't.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
It is the first match of what is essentially a 5 test series (3/4 playoff, NH Tour, 3 Test inbound next year) against the Welsh.

Lets go for a whitewash to get the confidence back. We have to stop playing to "build" and start playing to win EVERY test.

A

Army_Gav

The tournament is over for us. The 3rd place game is a meaningless exhibition match where we can reward the guys at the back end of the 30 for their hard work.

Not to mention that the backups are likely to be more motivated. Add in the fact that the 1st XV has looked 6 shades of shit all tournament anyway, and I don't see why you wouldn't.
Here here. I won't be tuning in, or for a matter of fact caring all that much. Can't handle this meaningless emotional roller coaster.

It's like you've broken up with this wonderful girl. There has been highs and lows all year. After a week, she wants to get back together for one last fling? No sorry, we need time apart.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I want to see a full strength side picked and for us to put our disappointment aside and put in an awesome performance that justifies our world number 2 ranking.

We finished closer to the AB's than any other team has in this tournament. How we perform this week will be a true test of character for the Wallabies.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318817881.558594.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318817881.558594.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 231

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
Giteau wouldn't have been any better, he just would have made less obvious errors.

Gits never won a test in NZ either.

Could he have been any worse???????

Well I guess we will never know.
ABs had the experience, Wallabies didn't, and it has nothing to do with age, it is about experience at test level.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
For me we can salvage something from this whole campaign if we find our answer in the centres. With his improvement game after game I now believe that answer is JOC (James O'Connor). He is a must start at 12 for mine. Happy to have either of Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or McCabe outside of him.

Of course the test is if he can handle Roberts in defense. If he can do that well enough, we shouldn't move him again for 4 years.

I'm happy for either Cooper or Barnes to get the 10 position. Maybe 40 minutes each is the way to go.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 and the team turning up to play is all I really want to see.

It may not work out but nothing else really has so what do we have to lose.

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
S'wrong to say there is nothing riding on this game. France's position on world rankings will rightly be seen as a joke. Double points and two young exciting teams. Provided both teams have enough unijured palyers it will be the match the semis weren't and the final will not be.

(as you can see the optimism gnome has defied all my attempts to kill him off and is back with a vengeance)

Am pretty sure Cooper will play 10. Deans and ARU have staked too much on him at least for RWC

Fanatic, I see we're going to be seeing a LOT of each other over the next year. First Friday. Return match 3 December and then a 3 test tour of Australia next winter. It's going to be a lot of fun. Can't wait

Agreed!
Wales just seem to have 'IT' atm and now both our teams have a whole lot to prove.
I think Fridays game will be a cracker... I wish SW was going to captain Wales for this game.
I hope the Wallabies turn up with a plan.
May the best team win.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Hopefully the team is:
1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Sharpe
5. Horwill (c)
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Samo