• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

don't_go_latho

Chris McKivat (8)
Lauries have been on the wrong end of the penalty in every game this year, even their only victory (27 penalties , 3 cards).Even The greatest conspiracy theorist would find it very hard to believe that every QRRA ref has been given some kind of directive to hammer the boys from SLC. This trend can mean one of (or more likely a combination of) the following : The team under pressure at the breakdown gives up more penalties in every game of rugby ever played . SLC back row is being outplayed there, or is not engaging at the breakdown in the first place. Possibly some of the SLC players don't know the rules that well, and unfortunately as previously mentioned, they do not appear fit (5th fade out loss in a row) and a lack of fitness will lead to taking short cuts, which will lead to penalties against. I would like to think that the rugby community at SLC is not engaging in blaming the ref, and lokking to concentrate on defiiciencies for the future. Perhaps some coaching at the braekdown, or some serious fitness training ( for this season, unfortunately for them only metaphors about stable doors and bolting horses come to mind.)

100% correct Jaydee. The fact of the matter is that although the ref in both the Patties and Iona games didn't help Lauries chances of winning, the issue in all 5 games lost this season (and even the Villa game) comes back to the same thing- the inability for Lauries to play the full 70 minutes. The back row are all strong runners of the ball but too often are getting to the breakdown second and it's hard to maintain or regain possession if that's the case.

Royalderry

Peter Burge (5)
Its up to the likes of Padua, Paddies, Eddies, Villa and Iona to maintain this improvement and keep challenging the traditional 'heavy weights' of AIC in St Laurences and Marist Ashgrove every year and improve from the current one in ten.

I agree it's good to see the spoils shared somewhat - Villa won the 2010 comp and was it Lauries the year before in 2009? Ash grove are generally merciless against weaker sides so I don't feel any sympathy for them lol

erossi93

Allen Oxlade (6)
While things may have changed, any rugby purist who has watched and played a lot of rugby would realise that Eddies and Padua inparticular are fortunate that they have a large forward pack of rugby union players who know what they are doing, some of the tactics and gameplans (or lack of) are very questionable and resemble a rugby league game, which is a reflection of uneducated coaching. Eddies were very lucky to beat Lauries and against ashgrove, relied on their strong ball runners to get them over the gain line. Ashgrove and Lauries are still the superior teams at the breakdown, just don't have the strong runners they other schools have. Who are the coaches of padua and eddies anyway? what are their credentials in rugby? I'm betting limited

That is not taking away anything from the players from either school, Padua and Eddies forward packs have been outstanding all season, having 11 grade 11's play 1st XV last year (and carry the team) has really helped the padua boys and a lot of those boys went on to play rep footy at the end of the season and eddies boys have obviously worked very hard in the off-season and have several rep players as well. So before you go saying its the coaching, its important to look at the cattle they have.

Tottally your opinion, but i disagree with some points you have made. If their gameplans and tactics are so questionable and rugby league based then how have they beaten these sides who have great rugby union tactics and gameplays? Rugby league is a completely different game to Rugby union. Obviously they would have good tactics and gameplays to beat these teams.

RugbyInterest

Herbert Moran (7)
While things may have changed, any rugby purist who has watched and played a lot of rugby would realise that Eddies and Padua inparticular are fortunate that they have a large forward pack of rugby union players who know what they are doing, some of the tactics and gameplans (or lack of) are very questionable and resemble a rugby league game, which is a reflection of uneducated coaching. Eddies were very lucky to beat Lauries and against ashgrove, relied on their strong ball runners to get them over the gain line. Ashgrove and Lauries are still the superior teams at the breakdown, just don't have the strong runners they other schools have. Who are the coaches of padua and eddies anyway? what are their credentials in rugby? I'm betting limited

That is not taking away anything from the players from either school, Padua and Eddies forward packs have been outstanding all season, having 11 grade 11's play 1st XV last year (and carry the team) has really helped the padua boys and a lot of those boys went on to play rep footy at the end of the season and eddies boys have obviously worked very hard in the off-season and have several rep players as well. So before you go saying its the coaching, its important to look at the cattle they have.

This is showing ignorance at the work that both of these schools have put into their rugby programs. For Eddies, it started with bring in Jim Lucey some years ago and he brought Lester Hampson and they now have a QRU development officer (and old boy) in Lachlan Parkinson as one of their coaches. It hasn't happened overnight. At Padua, Scott Maguire has brought their program along for 10 years or so. Not short term fixes - these rugby stalwarts are building rugby traditions and cultures at these schools and we should salute them for the success they are achieving

M

MARKS

With all due respect this sounds like 'sour grapes' and this is from a former Lauries 1sts old boy.
League background or not..who cares...the bottom line is Lauries have not been good enough this season.
Time to 'man up' and learn from this season.

A

AIC_Snitch

Well done to Iona on promoting an impeccable attitude towards school boy rugby.

"Lachy Bell ‎31-26
and i knocked someone out one punch ahah and dint get sent
18 hours ago"

M

MARKS

Ashgrove 09, Lauries 08.
I agree it's good to see the spoils shared somewhat - Villa won the 2010 comp and was it Lauries the year before in 2009? Ash grove are generally merciless against weaker sides so I don't feel any sympathy for them lol

O

Old&Wise

Terrible defense in the first half of the Ashgrove game led to a rather significant 24-0 lead at halftime. Ashgrove then went to sleep, allowing Villa back into the game. Villanova prop (Apparently last name Dereeves?) played an outstanding game, with two tries in the second half. Ashgrove backs seemed to lack the attacking prowess seen in other games this season, with the #15 playing a very significant role in the win for Ashgrove. Ashgrove #9 was also impressive, good vision and clean passing. Overall one of the more exciting schoolboy games I've attended in recent years, with Villanova doing well to come back against a quality Ashgrove team, look forward to seeing how many Ashgrove players get selected.

E

esky94

Well done to Iona on promoting an impeccable attitude towards school boy rugby.

"Lachy Bell ‎31-26
and i knocked someone out one punch ahah and dint get sent
18 hours ago"

Thats one boys attitude towards school boy rugby, but even then he's probably just trying to show off to his mates. You saw after the incident his whole team get up him for what he did.

rugby1768

Allen Oxlade (6)

I think the inability of other AIC teams to cope with these hard ball runners is playing a huge part in the success of Padua and Eddies this year. They are simply using what works best for them, and hats off to them, it gets results.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
P what!!! Pc!!!!

Thats a remarkable achievement, considering the winless 09, and the fact that this age group has never won a premiership through the years, however i did hear that 11 of the current 1st XV played last year, so that has helped them greatley. Good on Padua, and i hope they go out there and really give it to ashgrove, and take the premiership outright.

Actually most of the us (Padua 1st XV) didn't play last year. Some went
on tour to Japan though. Most of our team though is Grade 11 (Gareth Ryan, Joe O'Toole, James Briskie, Tom & Jon Collins, Liam Picard, Tom Richter, Anthony Licciardello, etc.) So the team is actually a mix of both Open's and 16's. This week we verse Marist Ashgrove and hopefully we can beat them. We already have at least a joint premiership so it'll be a good game. Also SPC I think have to calm the eff down. WTF is wrong with you guys??? Why do you hate Padua sooo much???

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Number 12 for Padua, Jack Creighton, is a shoe in for AIC Second Five-Eighth. He is a QLD U/16's League Representative and i think his athletic ability is better than anyone i have ever played with. Though I could be a little biased being Padua 1st XV Vice Captain and all. LOL

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
AIC 1 Team?*

1. Simon Mikale (Sec)
2. Andrew Manu (Sec)
3. Harry Marshall (Ash) / Aaron Sorridimi?*
4. Lachlan Roe? (Sec)
5. Scott Mains (Vil)
6. Alex Perez (Pad
7. Shane Larkman (Sec)
8. ??
9. Scott Maloua (Ash)
10. Heta Manuel (Sec)
11. Elliot Davies (?)
12. Sam Johnson (Sec)
13. Giles Beverage (Spc)
14. Jonathan Kent (Ash)
15. Kyle Blackman? (Sec)

Rough guess, thoughts?

1. Simon Mikale
2. Bart Ritchie (Padua)
3. Harry Marshall/Gareth Ryan (Padua)
4. Ashgrove #4 - can't remember his name
5. Alex Perez
6. Jack O'Toole (Padua)
7. Shane Larkham
8. Tom Richter (Padua)
9. Scott Maloua
10. Heta Manuel
11. Jon Collins (Padua)
12. Jack Crieghton (Padua)
13. Giles Beverage
14. Ty Brimble
15. Jonathan Kent

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Really didn't expect so many sour grapes over Padua winning, perhaps they aren't the most favoured school but let's still applaud their efforts. Worthy premiers or not, disputing referree calls and the like is not in the spirit of the game. Every school at some stage feels as if they have been 'cheated' of a premiership, so just play the whistle and move on. Well done Padua, I'm a Villa supporter and yet I still admire what you have done. The rest of you, show some sportsmanships, it's schoolboy rugby not the World Cup

R

Rugby56

1. Simon Mikale
2. Bart Ritchie (Padua)
3. Harry Marshall/Gareth Ryan (Padua)
4. Ashgrove #4 - can't remember his name
5. Alex Perez
6. Jack O'Toole (Padua)
7. Shane Larkham
8. Tom Richter (Padua)
9. Scott Maloua
10. Heta Manuel
11. Jon Collins (Padua)
12. Jack Crieghton (Padua)
13. Giles Beverage
14. Ty Brimble
15. Jonathan Kent

Ryan, Richter and Collins might have a tough time being selected for AIC 1 seeing as they are Year 11. Selectors generally favor 12's over 11's from memory

RugbyInterest

Herbert Moran (7)
I am also surprised at the reaction to what looks like a well deserved first ever premiership in any grade for rugby at Padua - they are not the prettiest side to watch but their work ethic is second to none. Congratulations boys and good luck against Ash next week for a solo premiership. if they go down and Eddies win, they will both share with Ashgrove. That would be a great result for Eddies as well

erossi93

Allen Oxlade (6)
I am also surprised at the reaction to what looks like a well deserved first ever premiership in any grade for rugby at Padua - they are not the prettiest side to watch but their work ethic is second to none. Congratulations boys and good luck against Ash next week for a solo premiership. if they go down and Eddies win, they will both share with Ashgrove. That would be a great result for Eddies as well

Actually Padua has rugby premierships before but not at first level. So yes it is a great result. This weekend looks like it will be a cracker at banyo with padua versing marist. If Padua wins it will be the first time they have beaten marist at first level in aic rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.