• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

expert123

Stan Wickham (3)
New thread to discuss predictions on who will win, team line ups and AIC 1 or 2 teams in 2014.

Top 4 in my opinion -
Eddies
Iona
Padua
Ashgrove

Expert-opinion

Frank Row (1)
In my eyes I see St. Edmunds going through the AIC 2014 season firm contenders to win the premiership. With the current 16'As looking at a 2nd Place finishing and then the 15'As coming up to join them next year they will be a hard team to beat. Plus the likes of Carter Auld, Brock McNulty and Clifton Setu who are in the firsts now they will be hard to beat..

expert123

Stan Wickham (3)
Have Padua got a strong 16's?I know that their 15's went through undefeated and I've heard they have some pretty big boys. Pat's also have a strong under 15 age group but this year for some reason dropped off by a far distance. Ashgrove 15's came 2nd but when I saw them play and they had no big guys and none of their players stood out, and to win AIC you need a couple of big guys on your team. SEC who finished 3rd had a bad season compared to them coming 1st in yr 8 and yr 9, they have an effective forward pack but their back line cracks under pressure.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Have Padua got a strong 16's?

I have watched this age group (U16 2013) for a long time now and the early top teams were Iona, Padua, Lauries and Ashgrove.

Eddies stepped up in 2011 and won two consecutive premierships with what I assume was the addition of Isiah Perese because they came dead last in 2010 but since he left for ACGS this year and the likes of Clifton Setu moving up to the firsts, they under-performed this year.

Padua and Iona both dropped dramatically in 2011, leaving the title for the years to come as a contest between Ashgrove, Lauries and Eddies.

Peters have remained around the middle of the ladder and Villa and Pats have remained on the bottom. While Padua did very poorly this year, you can expect that with a full strength side they will become a force to be reckoned with once more.

Be aware that previous years can often be a poor indicator of how a team performs once it reaches Opens. U18 players, U16 players and new coaching staff can often cause a lot of upsets, shown this year when Ashgrove came out and lost three games for the first time in over a decade.

firerobbiedeans

Frank Row (1)
Have Padua got a strong 16's?I know that their 15's went through undefeated and I've heard they have some pretty big boys. Pat's also have a strong under 15 age group but this year for some reason dropped off by a far distance. Ashgrove 15's came 2nd but when I saw them play and they had no big guys and none of their players stood out, and to win AIC you need a couple of big guys on your team. SEC who finished 3rd had a bad season compared to them coming 1st in yr 8 and yr 9, they have an effective forward pack but their back line cracks under pressure.

The reason for pats 15A's dropping off this season was due to a change of coach. The head of rugby there saw a chance to jump on board a potential premiership team so he moved in and took over the coaching role pushing the two previous coaches out. As a result of this the team did not play to the style which was winning them matches. Also many players were selected out of position, or not selected at all for trivial reasons(unable to make a 630am training session for instance). Combine this with the fact their best player (played flanker in 14's) was made to play on the wing for 1sts... go figure.

expert123

Stan Wickham (3)
What are some team predictions? Any Queensland players from any of the schools that are 15 and 16 and what rep players are there?

mates95

Allen Oxlade (6)
3-4 Iona 2013 1stXV boys are only grade 11. Also jayden Carroll who played 10 for Iona started for QLD in under 16 state of origin game as the curtain raiser for Game 1.

MrKnowItAll

Frank Row (1)
To be honest, I don't see why everyone is backing out Villanova.. They have the #10 who I thinks name is something like Kenric Rotscheid-Felu (who is starting for AIC 2 & made u15 QLD starting Fullback), as well as five other grade 11's which started in the 1st XV this year. I have seen previous people say they are generally a bottom team, in the 2011 season they managed to come 2nd with some big wins over Padua, Iona and Peters.

Next years competition should be a strong one, with the likes of Padua making an improvement, Iona coming off a premiership win in the 1st XV, St Laurence's coming off a 16A's premiership and Many other schools having huge improvements.

Big Ron

Frank Nicholson (4)
Just regarding the hype surrounding Padua first 15 for next year. Padua possible first 15 side 2014 played a match against St. Kevin's Melbourne who fielded several Victoria state players. Padua ran rings around their favoured opponents en route to a 76-0 slaughtering. Missing 2013 grade 11 firsts players Jordan fewings, chris Morris, Connor gentile. My prediction - strong contenders for next year, if not outright premiers.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
To be honest, I don't see why everyone is backing out Villanova.. They have the #10 who I thinks name is something like Kenric Rotscheid-Felu (who is starting for AIC 2 & made u15 QLD starting Fullback), as well as five other grade 11's which started in the 1st XV this year. I have seen previous people say they are generally a bottom team, in the 2011 season they managed to come 2nd with some big wins over Padua, Iona and Peters.

Next years competition should be a strong one, with the likes of Padua making an improvement, Iona coming off a premiership win in the 1st XV, St Laurence's coming off a 16A's premiership and Many other schools having huge improvements.

Padua only lost to Marist in 2011

FootballWizard

Stan Wickham (3)
The level of doubt all you have in some of the teams is offensive. You will be surprised next year. Look at how many upsets there was this season...Just because some teams have some of the 'bigger' names doesn't necessarily mean they will outshine the other teams. After all, one or two players doesn't make a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.