• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

AICRugby123

Bob McCowan (2)
SLC thrashed the Canadian team at souths today. Bit of a tussle at the start but the flood gates really opened towards the end. Obviously the Canadian boys weren't used to the Brisbane heat.

The Lauries boys played a fairly weakened team due to injuries, volleyball and junior gold cup requirements with up to 9-10 first choice players sitting out of this one. Despite this there looks to be good depth in the Lauries squad with many players looking to be pushing there cases for a spot in the team. Standouts today included Nick Maroney and Gus Pigott in the second row as well as Will Dwyer and Joel Mead in the back line along with openside Tom Askin. It will be an interesting few weeks to see how the Lauries XV starts to take shape as we get closer to round 1

what was the score

Havealook

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ashgrove v Pats was a pretty high scoring, but low skill afternoon, which is what you expect in the heat this early in the season. Both teams took the chance to look at their entire squads and Ash came out on top by about 7 tries to 5. Wouldn't read too much into anything, couple of good tries from St Pats backs, Ash stronger in the forwards.

Gary Smith

Stan Wickham (3)
Ashgrove v Pats was a pretty high scoring, but low skill afternoon, which is what you expect in the heat this early in the season. Both teams took the chance to look at their entire squads and Ash came out on top by about 7 tries to 5. Wouldn't read too much into anything, couple of good tries from St Pats backs, Ash stronger in the forwards.

How were the Pats forwards looking? Were they big or rather mobile?

Rugby Mentor Greg

Stan Wickham (3)
It has become a custom that AIC schools go on tours before the season. Whilst this is obviously a wonderful opportunity for students, I can't help but think it sometimes does more harm than good. Schools can go away and play virtually a whole season of games in just 2 or 3 weeks. This can often result in an abundance of injuries. On the contrary it gives them a great opportunity to mesh together as a unit and could quite possibly come back stronger than ever. Should be interesting to see the relationship between those who go on tours and their overall success this season.

AICRugby123

Bob McCowan (2)
What are some year 11's to look out for?
Can someone provide a list of year 11's from each school

for Villa theres - Tom cronin (hes the man) max baker, quinn hourigan, and damon mulcahy

for iona, possible only ryan homes and kyle cook

padua most likely tom o toole and a couple of loose forwards

pats, jack kelly, the alien looking kid, their fob back

lauries, ben croft, alex young and will dwyer

eddies - some farmers

Sir

Bob McCowan (2)
First XV starting line up: St. Laurence's College
1. Michael Hansen-Luther
2. Eric TouAriki
3. Daniel McHugh
4. Mitch Shneider
5. Nick Maroney
6. Dominic Maclean
7. Tom Askin
8. Adam Parsons
9. Timothy Kennedy
10. Tuiavii Jahnke
11. Jack Healy
12. Nic Jesberg
13. Will Dwyer
14. Jordan Bayne
15. Ian Filipo

David Connors

Sydney Middleton (9)
First XV starting line up: St. Laurence's College
1. Michael Hansen-Luther
2. Eric TouAriki
3. Daniel McHugh
4. Mitch Shneider
5. Nick Maroney
6. Dominic Maclean
7. Tom Askin
8. Adam Parsons
9. Timothy Kennedy
10. Tuiavii Jahnke
11. Jack Healy
12. Nic Jesberg
13. Will Dwyer
14. Jordan Bayne
15. Ian Filipo

No room for Joel Mead and Tom Beikoff? Both consistent starting players in last years Lauries First XV.
Also Ben Croft must be close to the starting halfback role over Kennedy

Sir

Bob McCowan (2)
No room for Joel Mead and Tom Beikoff? Both consistent starting players in last years Lauries First XV.
Also Ben Croft must be close to the starting halfback role over Kennedy

I believe that Joel Mead does not have the skill and decision making compared to someone like Ian, hence why he is the starting fullback. Yes Joel is good but he isn't good enough. Tom Beikoff is a good player but when he plays in the backs (13) he doesn't do what a back should do also Will Dwyer has pace, skill and a much better passing ability compared to Tom. If he were to play 8 he would be in no contention as Adam Parson's is one of those players who can spark the team and get them going. With the starting halfback I am still unsure, it is still up for grabs.. there are two main people in contention for this position but, i know that for sure.

AICHAWK

Frank Row (1)
could anyone here provide an insight into what the AIC rugby Draw will look like for SLC, I've heard its not looking to prosperous.

David Connors

Sydney Middleton (9)
could anyone here provide an insight into what the AIC rugby Draw will look like for SLC, I've heard its not looking to prosperous.

Same as last year isnt it? Just the venue swapped. That would mean first two games away to Eddies then Ashgrove. Tough, but still winnable

Sir

Bob McCowan (2)
I'd really like to see the Lauries boys do their talking on the field this year, instead of on this forum. Theres no question they have ability, this group of year 12's were very convincing premiers in u14s. They were ruthless in their play, which stemmed from very good discipline and a great work ethic under a good coach. I think many of them started believing too much of their hype and their playing level really dropped off in the years following, when other schools caught up. I think some of the younger boys will keep these grade 12s honest in competing for spots. Some of the boys in the years gone past have been more concerned with getting a 1st XV to tell people they played in the firsts, only to never pick up a ball again post school (The 2012 team springs to mind). They should be more concerned with improving individually and let the rest take care of itself.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about, each and every individual in the First XV squad are training there ass's off..

Status
Not open for further replies.