• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

don't_go_latho

Chris McKivat (8)
I totally agree with you that the loss is the best thing for them, hopefully they will learn from it and come back better this week. Although i do see it as unfair that you stated "would like to see all the villa blocked walk the walk because at the moment they are also all talk". Where they proved to St Laurence's on Saturday they can do more then talk. But backed that talk up with a successful win..

At the moment no side has walked the walk because the season hasn't started, Villa played well in patches last Sat but it was a trial. Means nothing if they lose at Banyo on Saturday. Ditto with Lauries, they were poor in the first half last week and would be the first to admit that. Repeat that on Sat out at Ipswich and they will get belted. The team if they're willing enough and want it badly enough are good enough to beat Eddies on Saturday. I'm predicting an upset win for Padua on Saturday. No one seems to rate them but you don't lead 12-0 at halftime against Eddies and be as average a side as what everyone seems to think. If Villa are off their game slightly they will get beaten. Bit surprised to see Ash tipped by a few to get knocked off by Pats? Peters beat Pats convincingly after being belted by Barker and Ashgrove kept it pretty close against Barker. Pats grow an arm and a leg at home but I think Ash will get the job done. Thinking Iona will beat Peters in a tight one.

Padua by 2
Eddies by 8
Ash by 10
Iona by 3

qldRU

Allen Oxlade (6)
At the moment no side has walked the walk because the season hasn't started, Villa played well in patches last Sat but it was a trial. Means nothing if they lose at Banyo on Saturday. Ditto with Lauries, they were poor in the first half last week and would be the first to admit that. Repeat that on Sat out at Ipswich and they will get belted. The team if they're willing enough and want it badly enough are good enough to beat Eddies on Saturday. I'm predicting an upset win for Padua on Saturday. No one seems to rate them but you don't lead 12-0 at halftime against Eddies and be as average a side as what everyone seems to think. If Villa are off their game slightly they will get beaten. Bit surprised to see Ash tipped by a few to get knocked off by Pats? Peters beat Pats convincingly after being belted by Barker and Ashgrove kept it pretty close against Barker. Pats grow an arm and a leg at home but I think Ash will get the job done. Thinking Iona will beat Peters in a tight one.

Padua by 2
Eddies by 8
Ash by 10
Iona by 3

you are correct no one has walked the walk yet although SLC has been the main channel of chat that has been thrown not just around social media but on the playing fields. i have been present at 2 SLC trials this year one against Iona and one against Villa and not just the players but the Year 11 and 12 supporters throwing chat from the sidelines. Nothing wrong with friendly banter but personal attacks coming from the hill at SLC and Iona. nothing but embarrassing from the SLC boys hopefully i dont encounter any of this poor behaviour at any other AIC games i go to watch throughout the 2014 season.

Eddiesboy

Bob McCowan (2)

Padua by 2
Eddies by 8
Ash by 10
Iona by 3

Totally agree with you here Padua aren't that bad of a team they are no premiership chance but are defiantly capable of beating some big name teams they should of been 20-0 up at halftime against an almost full strength eddies side however if you stop the big front rower and the 6 then you will win the game as they have very weak backs with no 9 and 10 and without these no football team can take home a premiership. Eddies will be a great game to watch this weekend and im excited to see this clash eddies arent the usual big team and will struggle against SLC if it wasn't at ipswich then I would of given them no chance eddies by 5 and padua by 10.

pundit

Herbert Moran (7)
Totally agree with you here Padua aren't that bad of a team they are no premiership chance but are defiantly capable of beating some big name teams they should of been 20-0 up at halftime against an almost full strength eddies side however if you stop the big front rower and the 6 then you will win the game as they have very weak backs with no 9 and 10 and without these no football team can take home a premiership. Eddies will be a great game to watch this weekend and im excited to see this clash eddies arent the usual big team and will struggle against SLC if it wasn't at ipswich then I would of given them no chance eddies by 5 and padua by 10.

Just to add to this. Padua were without their first choice 10 on the weekend, Lawson Creighton. He's a very good player and can direct the team around the park with ease. He's back this week against Villa. Prediction...Padua 24 d Villa 17

billy slater

Frank Row (1)
the tips for the first round of rugby

Iona vs Peters
i cant see Iona going down in this game, i think it will be a very close game but the experience of the returning player form last year will get Iona over the line in this game

eddies vs slc
eddies forwards will run all over slc and i think slc will get there ass handed to them especially after last week horrible performance against villa

Ashgrove vs pats
ash will just be to strong for pats, ash have a a pretty strong team all round compared to pats who will be relying on one or two of there star players to get there home, ash will get up but it will be a close game

villa vs padua
this will be a good game to watch it will be a very close game with these teams being pretty evenly matched, padua will come out on top with villa getting lazy late in the half loosing them the game.

rugby1768

Allen Oxlade (6)
Some intersting tips...

Mine for this weekend are;

Ash - well drilled forward pack should be enough to get a comfortable win.
Eddies - Same old Eddies, pack will be big and bruising lauries won't be able to get the ball.
Villa - See Eddies, big forwards and some big backline ball runners.
Peters - Going for the underdogs, just cause I can.

Anonymousthegreat

Bob McCowan (2)
TIPS FOR ROUND 1
Iona vs St peters- with many returning premiership winning 1st players from 2013, i will see it very difficult for st peters to come on top. Peters have had successful wins in trials, so it will be a very entertaining game to watch- tip IONA by 18
Padua vs Villanova- see it as a very close game padua having a good team all round, Villanova showing some weaknesses in the side in both the forwards and backs, but with too many returning 2013 1st players and after destroying lauries i see Villa with the win- tip VILLANOVA by 5
St Pats vs Ashgrove- will be a very tight game, ashgrove having one of the best forwards packs running around in AIC, and Pats having a talented backline. The result will be very interesting. After Ashgrove having some very impresssive wins throughout the trial period it gives them great confidence going into round 1. But in saying so, i believe pats have too much speed and strength out wide. tip St Pats by 10
St Laurence's vs St Eddies- we can all see the result of this game. Playing eddies at eddies it doesnt get much harder then that. Also after Lauries were embarrassed in front of their school the week before i don't see them bouncing back with confidence. Eddies once again having a strong side all across the park. tip St Eddies by 30. Good luck to all, Anonymousthegreat out.....

qldRU

Allen Oxlade (6)
TIPS FOR ROUND 1
Iona vs St peters- with many returning premiership winning 1st players from 2013, i will see it very difficult for st peters to come on top. Peters have had successful wins in trials, so it will be a very entertaining game to watch- tip IONA by 18
Padua vs Villanova- see it as a very close game padua having a good team all round, Villanova showing some weaknesses in the side in both the forwards and backs, but with too many returning 2013 1st players and after destroying lauries i see Villa with the win- tip VILLANOVA by 5
St Pats vs Ashgrove- will be a very tight game, ashgrove having one of the best forwards packs running around in AIC, and Pats having a talented backline. The result will be very interesting. After Ashgrove having some very impresssive wins throughout the trial period it gives them great confidence going into round 1. But in saying so, i believe pats have too much speed and strength out wide. tip St Pats by 10
St Laurence's vs St Eddies- we can all see the result of this game. Playing eddies at eddies it doesnt get much harder then that. Also after Lauries were embarrassed in front of their school the week before i don't see them bouncing back with confidence. Eddies once again having a strong side all across the park. tip St Eddies by 30. Good luck to all, Anonymousthegreat out...

i would like to hear who these returning first XV players are for Iona? with carroll about to be ruled out with concussion, theres only 2 starting XV players for iona that played in 2013...

Anonymousthegreat

Bob McCowan (2)
i would like to hear who these returning first XV players are for Iona? with carroll about to be ruled out with concussion, theres only 2 starting XV players for iona that played in 2013.

i did not say they were starting players, with carroll still being indecisive whether he will play this week. It still leaves Dingwall, Yasbley and Leadbetter all with 1st XV experience.

qldRU

Allen Oxlade (6)
i did not say they were starting players, with carroll still being indecisive whether he will play this week. It still leaves Dingwall, Yasbley and Leadbetter all with 1st XV experience.

very true my bad but do any other schools have many returning first xv players? i believe Villa and SEC have a few

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Am I correct in saying that Pats have never beaten Ashgrove at First XV level?

I'm therefore curious about the form line being used by those suggesting that Pats will make history and win on Saturday (if they're serious).

Have Pats won a pre-season trial? I thought SPLC gave them a touch-up, with SPLC then being belted 50-0 or so by Barker who Ash held to 27-18.

I haven't seen any of the teams go around yet so have no personal knowledge, but I would have thought that Ash will start favourites on Saturday unless there's some factor unknown to me.

Anonymousthegreat

Bob McCowan (2)
very true my bad but do any other schools have many returning first xv players? i believe Villa and SEC have a few

Yes i know that clifton setu and carter auld are returning first XV players although carter is ruled out with injury currently. Villa has quite a few with the likes of Sankey, Felu and Thong and Lockett (injured) all starting players for eddies and villa

Anonymousthegreat

Bob McCowan (2)

I'm therefore curious about the form line being used by those suggesting that Pats will make history and win on Saturday (if they're serious).

Have Pats won a pre-season trial? I thought SPLC gave them a touch-up, with SPLC then being belted 50-0 or so by Barker who Ash held to 27-18.

I haven't seen any of the teams go around yet so have no personal knowledge, but I would have thought that Ash will start favourites on Saturday unless there's some factor unknown to me.

that's a fair statement you make there. Sometimes teams have good and bad days so you never know. i personally believe st pats are a well drilled team with superstars. They must be a pretty impressive team if they can get the win over a quality side like villa

don't_go_latho

Chris McKivat (8)

Yeah pretty sure you're correct Galloper, Padua haven't either as well. Surely that would be on the Ashgrove players minds going into this weekend as well not wanting to be the first group of players from such a proud rugby school to lose to Pats. Might be unlikely but it would be fantastic if Ash and Lauries won this weekend with both sides to clash next weekend. Lauries have had a good record in this age group against Ashgrove as well which will guarantee a large away crowd.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Yeah pretty sure you're correct Galloper, Padua haven't either as well. Surely that would be on the Ashgrove players minds going into this weekend as well not wanting to be the first group of players from such a proud rugby school to lose to Pats. Might be unlikely but it would be fantastic if Ash and Lauries won this weekend with both sides to clash next weekend. Lauries have had a good record in this age group against Ashgrove as well which will guarantee a large away crowd.
don't_go_latho, 12 minutes ago Report
Hasn't worried the last 50 or so Ashgrove XV's against SPC so I'm not sure these guys will be thinking about the historical aspects whilst on the field.
I hear from a few close to the team that this one of the biggest Ashgrove packs ever (not that this would be hard, our forward packs have been on the lean/rangy side for the 40-odd years I've seen them go around), so hopefully they can dominate possession and territory and come away with the points.
However, I also hear that there are a few potential problems in the backline, so Ash could well be playing to a forwards-dominated game plan this season.
After last year's disasters the motivation at MCA is very high, but will that be enough? We'll soon see...

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Lauries have up to 8 returning first XV players from last year. should provide some good experience

always good to have some players with 1st experience, however I think in Lauries case it is more of a result of a very weak yr 12 group last year rather than a strong yr 11 group.

Managreve

Stan Wickham (3)
Would be great to have some unbiased reporting on Saturdays Games. Im watching Eddies v SLC.....volunteers for the other games ?
Report back on Key Players, strengths , weaknesses etc.
History counts for NOTHING every game is a grand final in AIC

Status
Not open for further replies.