• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

pundit

Herbert Moran (7)
Padua were very lucky to come away with a win again today. Died in the arse (yet again) but got over against a big peters side. Peters ran over quick tries in the last 10-15 minutes which leaves the crowd thinking Padua can't go the distance. If they can't fight out the full 70 minutes how would one expect them to play quality rugby for the rest of the season.
A win's a win mate.

behindthescenes

Allen Oxlade (6)
Sounds like some really contradicting reviews this round, particularly on the Padua V Peters game. If we take out the bias these are the facts:
- Padua won… by a try (31-24) therefore not much between the teams over the full 70 mins
- there are still 5 rounds to go, and based on the first two rounds, it's clear that most teams in this comp can win on their day
- premiership is still wide open.. however SEC appear to be the front runners at this stage, with 2 comfortable wins.

GrandstandGlory

Frank Row (1)
After watching the IONA vs VILLA game yesterday, I can undoubtly say that these two teams put on one of the best rugby matches I have ever seen in my life. Both teams came raring to go off the kick off with intentions to smack eachother hard. With hard hits coming from Dingwell (IONA) and Torpy (VILLA) this game was very physical. For most of the game Villa retained possesion of the ball and outclassed IONA in paticular the lineouts and scrums. Iona in the end came out with the win fair and square due to some critical errors in the Villanova side by 5 points (24-19). Both teams have quite the potential to carry out upsets throughout the season as they are both dominant forces. Special mention to Jayden Carrol, Zack Mullen and David Yabsley for having great games from iona, and Peter Harding, Will Sankey, Kenric Felu and Max baker from villa for being standouts on the paddock. Thanks boys for putting on such a show, it was great to watch from the stands and will be remembered for years to come. In my opinion whilst there is alot of individuals playing well at the moment it is too early to predict the AIC teams as it is only round two. Alot can happen from now to the end of season. Hope all the boys in AIC can enjoy an injury free season and just have a good time with building memories that will last a lifetime with their mates.

Eric Grothe Sr

Frank Nicholson (4)
Also st pats only lost 3 games of rugby all day. Another sign that the green and gold are on the rise!
Sparky I was happily surprised to hear this when I got to the firsts game. I am reasonably sure that Eddies came second in AIC aggregate in 2011 or 2012. They have never enjoyed travelling to Shorncliffe however (the end of the earth or God's country). The previous rugby coordinator Mr Mac did much work channeling enthusiasm in the right direction. Young Schultzy it would appear his continued this trend. Despite two yellow cards yesterday I thought that both school's should be proud of their culture. The Eddies firsts in particular were stoic in the way they banded together and copped continual sprays behind their tryline from some younger SPC old boys. I noted that the main offenders were not that athletic at school and clearly are not playing sport now as mentioned in many of my past tirades. It was a wonderful atmosphere apart from this which truly only inspired the blue and whites. The Eddies kicker missed plenty so the score was reasonably flattering to SPC who tried all game.

Old School

Frank Row (1)
Still very early days with only a handful of games being played. Although these boys have put their foot in the door towards selection in the AIC team
1. Dingwell (Iona 1)
3. O'Toole (padua 3)
4. Lancashire (ashgrove 5)
5. Williamson (eddies 5)
6. Beverage (ashgrove 8)
7. Harding (villa 7)
8. C.Gentile (padua 8)
9. No standouts
10. Carrol (Iona 10 ) / Felu (villa 12)
11. Yabsly (Iona 13)
12. Tatipata (peters 12)
13. Glynn (pats 12)
14. Fewings (padua 13)
15. Setu (eddies 15)
#8 was subed 3 x in the peters match not sure he can go the distance

Alias33

Bob McCowan (2)
Sounds like some really contradicting reviews this round, particularly on the Padua V Peters game. If we take out the bias these are the facts:
- Padua won… by a try (31-24) therefore not much between the teams over the full 70 mins
- there are still 5 rounds to go, and based on the first two rounds, it's clear that most teams in this comp can win on their day
- premiership is still wide open.. however SEC appear to be the front runners at this stage, with 2 comfortable wins.

Padua was the better team, and the score does not reflect their better performance. I thought SPLC forwards were very average, especially after a good outing against Iona the week before. But what cost them the game was their poor structure and play from the 10. Without being overly critical,whenever he got the ball he would take a few steps sideways and and give a slow ball to the 12. Never took the ball to the advantage line. He was replaced in the last 10 or so minutes and the kid who replaced him should start next week. He was giving good pill to the centres at the advantage line. Peters 12 is such a handful even for a good defensive unit like Padua, he pretty much single handedly kept them in the game. If he gets good flat ball at the line and is isolated 1-on-1 with his defender, I think most teams will at struggle with that. Yesterday however, the starting 10 just did not give him the opportunity, and he had to go looking for it himself.

Padua were very good. They play with a lot structure and they pressured Peters into errors. Very good in defence I thought, Peters scored twice in the final 5 mins when Padua were down one player who was carded. Will be interesting to see how Peters respond, especially with who starts at 10.

Big Fella28

Bob McCowan (2)
Yes I must agree. Padua was clearly the better side for the majority of the game. SPLC scored two or three late tries when Padua was down a man. (one of the most ridiculous yellow cards I have seen). However, I think the SPLC boys showed the true potentcy of the backline in that last 10 minutes. For the first 60 minutes they moved and ran the ball too laterally rather than straightening it up. As a result their backline was ineffectual. The Padua forwards were very good and dominated the Peter's pack.

A couple of standouts. John Honour as Padua 15 was very solid. he made 4 or 5 try saving tackles....the Padua forwards were solid but the surpise was the Padua backline outplayes the Peters backline. If the SPLC backs run straight they will cause big headaches for the 5 remaining schools! Also Padua won every game on the day....

pundit

Herbert Moran (7)
From what I understand here is the ladder after Round 2.

Eddies 4
Padua 4
Ashgrove 2
Iona 2
Pats 2
Peters 2
Villa 0
Laurie's 0

It's still only early days and there are no certainties in this tight comp. Good luck to all teams this week.

Josh Flemmings

Frank Row (1)
Still very early days with only a handful of games being played. Although these boys have put their foot in the door towards selection in the AIC team
1. Dingwell (Iona 1)
3. O'Toole (padua 3)
5. Williamson (eddies 5)
6. Beverage (ashgrove 8)
7. Harding (villa 7)
8. C.Gentile (padua 8)
9. No standouts
11. Yabsly (Iona 13)
12. Tatipata (peters 12)
13. Glynn (pats 12)
14. Fewings (padua 13)
15. Setu (eddies 15)

If I'm not mistaken Guru, Williamson has played off the bench the last two rounds? Is it possible for bench players to make AIC?

Amanwholovesfooty

Bob McCowan (2)
1. Dingwell (Iona 1)
3. O'Toole (padua 3)
5. Williamson (eddies 5)
6. Beverage (ashgrove 8)
7. Harding (villa 7)
8. C.Gentile (padua 8)
9. No standouts
11. Yabsly (Iona 13)
12. Tatipata (peters 12)
13. Glynn (pats 12)
14. Fewings (padua 13)
15. Setu (eddies 15)
Don't forget to remember some boys will play confra rather then play in the AIC 1 team, I know most 1st boys from eddies and Padua will play in the confra comp over AIC

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Does SPLC have a Third XV? If they do, they seem to be constantly omitting their results from the Sunday Mail.

don't_go_latho

Chris McKivat (8)
I know we are only 2 rounds in but again I can't help but start talking about the state of Lauries rugby. It was pretty well known that hopes were high for this years 1st XV to perform well after always being strong in this age group. Correct me if I'm wrong but Saturday's loss to Ash may have been this age groups first loss to Ash? I hope I'm wrong but there's a realistic chance that Lauries will go winless this year. No disrespect to the other schools but that would be embarrassing for such a proud rugby nursery over the years. Of bigger concern is the fact that the 16A's were belted 48-0 on Saturday. This age group will be the opens next year for Lauries centenary year. Would be interested to know other peoples thoughts but its a huge concern to Old Boys, supporters, parents etc about what could happen next year. Not that Ian McDonald would give a shit. Would love to see Michael Carroll from St Pats headhunted to replace McDonald being a Lauries old boy principal up there doing a wonderful job from all reports. Lauries rugby wouldn't be in the shambles it's currently in with him at the helm. To finish on a positive note, a quick shoutout to the 14A's who had a wonderful win (and Lauries only aggregate win) on Saturday. That side after going through undefeated last year were decimated by scholarships. Well done them.

thommo79

Frank Row (1)
. Would love to see Michael Carroll from St Pats headhunted to replace McDonald being a Lauries old boy principal up there doing a wonderful job from all reports. Lauries rugby wouldn't be in the shambles it's currently in with him at the helm. .

Not Doing. Michael has been approached to take on the same role at Villa and Nudgee, not interested. He is currently in the 2nd year of a 3 year extension and is keen to stay on if he can get it. He still sees plenty of growth and improvement in St Pat's which is fantastic for the school.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
I know we are only 2 rounds in but again I can't help but start talking about the state of Lauries rugby. It was pretty well known that hopes were high for this years 1st XV to perform well after always being strong in this age group. Correct me if I'm wrong but Saturday's loss to Ash may have been this age groups first loss to Ash? I hope I'm wrong but there's a realistic chance that Lauries will go winless this year. No disrespect to the other schools but that would be embarrassing for such a proud rugby nursery over the years. Of bigger concern is the fact that the 16A's were belted 48-0 on Saturday. This age group will be the opens next year for Lauries centenary year. Would be interested to know other peoples thoughts but its a huge concern to Old Boys, supporters, parents etc about what could happen next year. Not that Ian McDonald would give a shit. Would love to see Michael Carroll from St Pats headhunted to replace McDonald being a Lauries old boy principal up there doing a wonderful job from all reports. Lauries rugby wouldn't be in the shambles it's currently in with him at the helm. To finish on a positive note, a quick shoutout to the 14A's who had a wonderful win (and Lauries only aggregate win) on Saturday. That side after going through undefeated last year were decimated by scholarships. Well done them.

Yes I remember the days when Lauries were a rugby powerhouse.
I have heard many old boys shed their concern of the current leadership of Lauries and the direction of (lack of) it's rugby.
It's interesting to see Lauries old boys ( former Wallabies/Qld players) now sending their sons to other AIC schools.

Regarding Lauries 13/14A team being decimated by scholarships, I have notice that some schools are better at holding onto students who are tempted by the darkside.
Some schools work on the principle of creating an environment that you don't want to leave.

behindthescenes

Allen Oxlade (6)
Does SPLC have a Third XV? If they do, they seem to be constantly omitting their results from the Sunday Mail.
SPLC don't have a 3rds - they only have 9 AIC rugby teams, Ashgrove has more teams competing in the draw as SPLC, then SPLC do. It's an absolute shambles playing them each round, I cannot understand why they were ever allowed into the competition. Imagine a Downlands in their place...

David Connors

Sydney Middleton (9)

Word is that McDonald is getting out of there as soon as centenary is finished. He is a principal that is only really intersted in building a shit load of new buildings that never seem to get built. Having gone to the school for 8 years myself I never once saw him out at any sporting event on a Saturday.
The culture is one that needs to change and this year there have been choices made rectify this which will only mean it can get better for the future with a gun team coming through in year 9. It may be a couple of years before Lauries gets back to the top.
Saying that Im not giving up on this years whatsoever. Hopefully a fired up team can put on a performance like they did in the first half against Ashgrove (where they should of made better of their opportunities) and pick up a win in the first game at Crawford Oval this saturday against Padua

Eric Grothe Sr

Frank Nicholson (4)
Word is that McDonald is getting out of there as soon as centenary is finished. He is a principal that is only really intersted in building a shit load of new buildings that never seem to get built. Having gone to the school for 8 years myself I never once saw him out at any sporting event on a Saturday.
The culture is one that needs to change and this year there have been choices made rectify this which will only mean it can get better for the future with a gun team coming through in year 9. It may be a couple of years before Lauries gets back to the top.
Saying that Im not giving up on this years whatsoever. Hopefully a fired up team can put on a performance like they did in the first half against Ashgrove (where they should of made better of their opportunities) and pick up a win in the first game at Crawford Oval this saturday against Padua

I have also heard that Mick Carroll is staying at SPC. He is obsessed with rugby and loves all and I mean all sport! He is a great bloke. However, that does not mean that he too is not biased about building things like Mr. McDonald. Lauries has been on the slide in most sport apart from B'Ball and V'Ball for at least 10 years. SLC have a great cultural program - perhaps this is Mr Mc's legacy. I believe he was at Parramatta Marist however, and couldn't keep Nathan Hindmarsh happy there - Nathan then went on to play 300+ games for one club! What is it at Lauries that helps the B'Ball and V'Ball (apart from the shallow roof in the latter)? I bet there are keen teachers pumping it.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
better for the future with a gun team coming through in year 9. It may be a couple of years before Lauries gets back to the top.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news David Connors but that gun team lost it's guns, scholarships to Terrace and IGS heard the no 8 was partially good.

Status
Not open for further replies.