• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
I know we are only 2 rounds in but again I can't help but start talking about the state of Lauries rugby. It was pretty well known that hopes were high for this years 1st XV to perform well after always being strong in this age group. Correct me if I'm wrong but Saturday's loss to Ash may have been this age groups first loss to Ash? I hope I'm wrong but there's a realistic chance that Lauries will go winless this year. No disrespect to the other schools but that would be embarrassing for such a proud rugby nursery over the years. Of bigger concern is the fact that the 16A's were belted 48-0 on Saturday. This age group will be the opens next year for Lauries centenary year. Would be interested to know other peoples thoughts but its a huge concern to Old Boys, supporters, parents etc about what could happen next year. Not that Ian McDonald would give a shit. Would love to see Michael Carroll from St Pats headhunted to replace McDonald being a Lauries old boy principal up there doing a wonderful job from all reports. Lauries rugby wouldn't be in the shambles it's currently in with him at the helm. To finish on a positive note, a quick shoutout to the 14A's who had a wonderful win (and Lauries only aggregate win) on Saturday. That side after going through undefeated last year were decimated by scholarships. Well done them.

The reasoning for this decline in Lauries rugby results is the strengthening of schools such as Padua (finished 3rd in aggregate last year and won 2011 first XV premiership), Pats (seem to becoming a stronger competitor under the guidance of Carroll and their sports department which has produced 4 cross country aggregate wins recently) and Eddies (Won the last 2 AIC athletics aggregates, won the 2011 first XV premiership and haven't finished below 4th since then). My point is that the strengthening of some sports not only makes these schools see more success in other sports, but also builds pride and belief that they can beat the so called powerhouses of AIC in Ashgrove, Lauries and Iona. Long gone are the days when Ashgrove, Lauries and Iona dominated in every sport. These days we are seeing the likes of Padua, Pats and Eddies saying enough is enough, its our time to shine. And to be honest, I'm all for it and I hope that this doesn't make schools like Lauries go to the extreme and start buying premierships by importing their whole first XV team. Padua, Pats and Eddies haven't neccesarily imported anyone, maybe a few recruits here and there but they have the hunger and drive to succeed and grow their brands.

Amanwholovesfooty

Bob McCowan (2)
Iona vs. St Pats
Eddies vs. Ashgrove
Laurie’s vs. Padua

Villa vs. Peters
Iona (Iona too strong can't quite go past them)
Eddies ( Tough game this will be, go down to the wire. Eddies too strong in the end)
Padua ( Crazy not to tip Padua over Laurie's )
Villa (Backing them for a upset)
Should be a absolute cracka of a weekend of rugby, good games will be played across the board

Havealook

Allen Oxlade (6)
My contacts over at Peters told me that their 3rd XV played one game, a trial against Pats, which they actually won narrowly, with a helping of 2nds, then the team was withdrawn from the comp because of player numbers. As such, Peters will definitely have one undefeated team this year :p

Sir

Bob McCowan (2)
Lauries XV Injuries:

Tom Askin (7)
Joel Mead (12)
Adam Parsons (13)
Vii Jahnke (10)
Mitch Schneider (5)
Matt Ryan (6)

These five players will definitely be out of a week, however some will be out for more. No Hope

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
SPLC don't have a 3rds - they only have 9 AIC rugby teams, Ashgrove has more teams competing in the draw as SPLC, then SPLC do. It's an absolute shambles playing them each round, I cannot understand why they were ever allowed into the competition. Imagine a Downlands in their place.

I think the future for St Peter's can only be bright, as they now have a new campus at springfield they could possibly use some the students from there? But definitely reckon Downlands should be in AIC, a trip to the range for rugby and soccer would be a great day for all

Mr.Footy

Bob McCowan (2)
Hello Hello, welcome to Wednesday Tipping Night. Ripper round this weekend featuring some insane match ups. So, shall we?

Iona v Pats - Iona 1-12
After a solid win against Ashgrove in the first round, Pats were destroyed by the St Edmunds back line in round 2. So, lacking in confidence and facing a side straight off a strong win over Villa will be difficult for the Shorncliffe lads. Iona are shaping up to really get going this round and are hoping to prove that they are still contenders in the comp. Look for a good game out at Wynumn. Iona to come away will a solid win.

Laurie's v Padua - Padua 13 +
Expect another sad week for the Laurie's boys. After a difficult loss to an exuberant Ashgrove side, this side will be down in the dumps and hoping to put a win together at any cost. However, being favourites with Eddies to take out the competition, Padua will simply not allow this and will punish the opposition for easy errors.

Villa - SPLC - Villa 1-12
I know, I know. What is Mr Footy thinking? Villa haven't really shown much form in the first two rounds while Peter's have been quite the surprise package. However, don't count out the Villa boys yet, I'm expecting that their centre combinations will finally click and gain a win. Peter's will fall in a very tough game, if you're in the area, check it out.

Eddie's v Ashgrove - Ashgrove 1-12
Can't get away from the underdogs can I? Ashgrove I don't think have ever been labelled an underdog in an AIC rugby competition but this weekend, they will be facing one of the best Eddie's sides in a few years. Now I understand what you're thinking, if they are so great, how are they going to lose to an Ashgrove team which is 1-1 in the first two rounds. Courage and hard work I tell ya, it's something that beats talent every day of the week. Watch Ashgrove scavenge for every opportunity to capitalize on mistakes. This week will define the rest of the season and shake up the AIC competition for sure.

As always,
Keep Learning, Your Teacher,
Mr Footy

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
SPLC don't have a 3rds - they only have 9 AIC rugby teams, Ashgrove has more teams competing in the draw as SPLC, then SPLC do. It's an absolute shambles playing them each round, I cannot understand why they were ever allowed into the competition. Imagine a Downlands in their place.

Well in five years time there will be Ambrose Treacy College (currently Nudgee Jnr College) as they evolve into a fully fledged senior school. Perhaps a good addition to the AIC program?

Eric Grothe Sr

Frank Nicholson (4)
This is an interesting one that I raised last year during the Downlands call. Mick Senior is principal of Ambrose T. He was also the coach of Nudgee First XV 86, 87 when they won their first since 1971 and have not stopped winning since. He is a great man. However, I am out of the school system now. I can remember two AIC principals that I worked for saying how all asked D'lands to come in at AIC's inception. They also acknowledged that D'lands had approached them in the mid 2000s. The rationale given apart from their inability to compete in things outside rugby was that they enjoyed the seven game season ahead of the GPS bye system! Maybe somebody still in AIC know-how can enlighten us. A.T. College (Nudgee Junior) was a massive provider of students to Terrace. No wonder why Mr Chapman from Terrace is now opening the checque book wider. By the way, above poster about Pats scholarships. The official line is that they do not have them - there are as always have been bursaries for disadvantaged youth, as was always the Christian Brothers way.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Downlands would be competitive with Rugby only, other sports, Cricket are current view as a day out for the boarders, GPS schools hardly think it's worth while, apart from Rugby.
As Eric Grothe Super Rugby has said not being able to compete in all sports will keep them out of the AIC
I think the current AIC draw works well, very competitive.

Eric Grothe Sr

Frank Nicholson (4)
I would be interested to know the boys on a scholarship, I dont believe they have any kids on scholarship at Pats, in fact dont they lose a lot of boys to GPS schools.

If anybody claims to know of any boys names, can we please not publish them? Some schoolboys as we have seen clearly read. As I have said above in response to Eagle's thought about SPC scholarships, if done at all they would be more in line with old fashioned Christian Brothers type bursaries to those in need whether they are good at sport or not. I spoke to SPC rugby coordinator on other stuff and asked him about the turn around: "Training" was the answer! A big couple of weeks for the men of Shorncliffe against Iona and Padua in an aggregate sense is coming up. However, belief amongst other things as mentioned above must help. What a competition the AIC is!

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
Correct regarding the Christian Brothers bursaries as opposed to the term scholarship and they are a great opportunity for students from difficult backgrounds to gain access to a better education than they may not have otherwise had the opportunity to do. Pat's are certainly targeting students like this who are good athletes, that I can confirm, having coached 2 boys who went to Pats (have now graduated) having come from local State schools. Its great to see Pats turning things around, the comment about training being the main reason is spot on. Great to see the AIC being so open every year, GPS is almost turning into the English premier league.4 horse race every year.

Haha I think the GPS is more like the La Liga in Spain with a 2 or 3 horse race between Nudgee, Churchie and TSS. You might get the occasional good year from BGS or Terrace though. AIC would be more comparable with English Premier League as there is potentially 4-6 schools who can show their dominance now. But onto another topic, it would be interesting to see if one day they could bring in a relegation and promotion between GPS and AIC, that would be very interesting to see. In terms of its structure, you could have a tally of all sports combined based on aggregate results and have the bottom school from GPS be relegated into AIC and then have the top school of AIC be promoted. Or you could have the bottom 2 of GPS drop down and then the top 2 of AIC be promoted the next year. How interesting would that be!?!?

Rugbychat101

Stan Wickham (3)
I would be interested to know the boys on a scholarship, I dont believe they have any kids on scholarship at Pats, in fact dont they lose a lot of boys to GPS schools.
So your telling me people like Lolo Fakaosilea and Justin Sikimeti moved to St. Patricks college for a better education and not to represent their rugby team ?

Rugbychat101

Stan Wickham (3)
bro get your facts straight, these boys were both expelled by BBC
Expelled or not what difference does it make.
Still imports, you can argue as much as you want and say all the bullshit you want their kids that should be competing in GPS not dominating in AIC

Status
Not open for further replies.