• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingpin

Frank Row (1)
Anyone know the names of the SPLC 1 and 5? I heard they were quite good against Ashgrove on the weekend. With only 2 rounds left I think this forward pack will a good fit for QLD trials.

1. Tom O'Toole PAD
2. Josh Schweitzer SEC
3. Tom Rafter ASH
4. Michael Wood PAD
5. Harry Enright ASH
6. Justin Sikimeti SPC
7. Louis Schwenke PAD
8. Archie Taylor SEC

SPLC vs MCA #1 Mahoney Duma
SPLC vs MCA #5 Peter Collins

Koty30832

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ashgrove vs Pats (GOR) In my opinion the game of the round with Ashgrove having to contest for runners up against pats. Big crowds expected out at Ashgrove but I think the boys can bring it home 0-7 pats.

Villa vs Padua: Padua to walk over villa 30+ Padua

Iona vs SPLC: SPLC to be turning up looking for a win although I think its Iona's last home game? so I think ill go a close one for these lads 5-10 SPLC

SEC vs SLC Eddies to win to win after SLC big loss last week crumbling downhill further I predict 10+ SEC.

Anyone got any Aggregate standings by the way?

Fat jack

Frank Row (1)
Why does everyone insist on trying to pick the AIC TEAM. No one knows what's going to happen in the last two rounds. If the selectors or looking for size only there are heaps of big players to choose from. If they want high skill level then maybe they need to look at that first. Sometimes the bigger players are just that bigger, but the skill level isn't there. Some of theses so called scrawny players as someone has posted have more skill than size at the moment so watch out for those boys once they reach their 20's. Most of you will eat your words. There not selecting the next wallaby team. This is school boy rugby.

The Ballkid

Herbert Moran (7)
1st XV: Ashgrove 19 - SPC 12
Great game. Pats up by try at half time. Ashgrove took lead with 12 mins to go and scored again with about 5 left.

2nd XV: Ashgrove 17 - SPC 7
5 - 7 at half time. Looked very close.

1st XI (Soccer) - Ashgrove 0 - SPC 1 (SPC first ever win over Ashgrove)

AnthemX1

Stan Wickham (3)
Just a few observations from Ash v SPC game. SPC coach yelling at his players from beyond dead ball line didn't work. He embarrassed himself and his school. Isn't there a campaign against coaches who yell at their players. Out Centre for Ash is the laziest player I have ever seen in that position. His tackling was non existent. Ash forwards very good, their backs let them down. A message to the Ash fullback, pass the fing ball to your support you hog. There is no "I" in team. Pats outside backs continually had overlap but stuffed it up. Ash got out of jail on this one. Female ref was an embarrassment

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
1st XV: Ashgrove 19 - SPC 12
Great game. Pats up by try at half time. Ashgrove took lead with 12 mins to go and scored again with about 5 left.

2nd XV: Ashgrove 19 - SPC 7
5 - 7 at half time. Looked very close

1st XI (Soccer) - Ashgrove 0 - SPC 1 (SPC first ever win over Ashgrove)

Ashgrove's front 5 forwards carried the side to victory, ably assisted by some brilliant running from the 15, Campbell Mohr.
The front rowers were both fantastic in open play, with the Year 11 prop Tom Rafter even managing to outshine Liam Adams.
As happened against Padua, the MCA scrum demolished SPC's, so it would be a travesty if Jack Kelly made the AIC side over either of the MCA boys.
Having said that, Kelly was also great in the loose and really led his side from the front.
Ashgrove lost their very impressive 8, Mansell-Ward, after 10 minutes, just as happened in the Padua game, and with both flankers Brosnan and Wratten missing today it was a brave effort from the second string back rowers to break even with, maybe even shade, their SPC counterparts.
Although SPC lost a flanker early as well, which evened the scales a bit.
AIC contenders for MCA: 1,2,3, 8 and 15 (Kopana not up to it);
For SPC: 1,8, 12

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Just a few observations from Ash v SPC game. SPC coach yelling at his players from beyond dead ball line didn't work. He embarrassed himself and his school. Isn't there a campaign against coaches who yell at their players. Out Centre for Ash is the laziest player I have ever seen in that position. His tackling was non existent. Ash forwards very good, their backs let them down. A message to the Ash fullback, pass the fing ball to your support you hog. There is no "I" in team. Pats outside backs continually had overlap but stuffed it up. Ash got out of jail on this one. Female ref was an embarrassment

A mostly fair assessment there, although I didn't notice Mohr ignoring support on his many breaks.
Mohr could easily have cost his side the game though with some overly casual fielding of kicks, including gifting SPC their first try from a charged down kick, so it was certainly a mixed bag from him. The kid can run though, just wish he had his dad's electric pace.....
I agree with your comments on the game of the Ash 13, Kopana - horrible reader of the play in defence. He's a league prop, apparently, and plays like it really, but he was certainly a handful for the defence when he ran the ball.
As for the ref, the first half count must have been something like 14-1 to Pats, but she started giving Ash a few in the last 15 minutes, maybe due to Pats getting a bit tired and lazy at the breakdown. Hope I never see her again though.
Yes, Ash did get out of jail in some respects, but only because they put themselves there early due to some very poor play and the weight of penalties against them. They could easily have been up by 20 points or so before Pats got their first try against the run of play.

Fat jack

Frank Row (1)
What a game today v ash and pats. Pats up at half time and ash were looking terrible. The Ashgrove forwards ended up winning the game for Ashgrove. What is with the number 15. He is not a full back by any means and there is a lot of talk about him being picked for the aic wing. Sure he can run, but he runs away from his support, usually hogs the ball and doesn't pass and today, proof that he clearly doesn't know the rugby rules and is a true league player. Give the spot the someone else who can play rugby UNION. Time after time I read that the number 15 for Ashgrove is brilliant. Well from what I've scene this season he has made mistake after mistake costing Ashgrove many points. His first mistake resulted in a try for st pats. I didn't think kelly played that well today I was expecting more. Shame about Ashgrove # 8 mansell. Was playing really well. Time will tell if we see him back next week. #4 Mckinnon played well. Took up some big hits for a guy his size. Still the best line out jumper. I thought mana from st pats played well. Best players from each side#1 rafter, #3 Adams St pats # 12 Mana, # 13 which gave St pats lots of overlaps but unfortunately could get it under the sticks. Gusty win for Ashgrove to fight back at the end.

The Ballkid

Herbert Moran (7)
The SPC coach quoted in an earlier post appeared to have some harsh words with the ref after full time. The referee is the first female to have refereed Premier Grade so she should be quite good. The penalty count certainly swayed but usually that is as a result of players rather than the referee.
Neither team made the most of there opportunities, particularly the Pats outside backs often gifting the ball to Ashgrove with useless kicks.

On another point interestingly the St Pats team did there warm-ups at Dorrington Park (Norths Hockey Club) before catching the bus back to Ashgrove and walking straight off the bus onto the field. Presumably mind games.

The day also saw a minute silence for two Old Boys, one of which was a 2014 Senior who died tragically overnight in a car crash.

Well done to Ashgrove with the turnout pulling a 200-300 boys and a strong general turnout for there Old Boys Day.

What was the Eddies vs Lauries score?

harriez_94

Frank Nicholson (4)
Look I honestly don't think the 15 for Ashgrove played that bad of a game. The kid obviously backs himself which is a good asset in any rugby player, and from what I saw he beat the first one or two tackles on most occasions. Understandable that he needs to use his support more but most times I saw him get over the advantage line. And he also set up a try which got Ashgrove on the scoreboard? You are some harsh judges honestly.

Fat jack

Frank Row (1)
Don't get me wrong the #15 for Ashgrove can play rugby LEAGUE well. He just doesn't seem to me to have enough rugby union knowledge. That try you are referring to that he helped set up, he had an unmarked winger outside who he chose not to use, but instead kicked ahead for himself, and could not regather and was extremely lucky that the Ashgrove centre picked it up and scored.
Look I honestly don't think the 15 for Ashgrove played that bad of a game. The kid obviously backs himself which is a good asset in any rugby player, and from what I saw he beat the first one or two tackles on most occasions. Understandable that he needs to use his support more but most times I saw him get over the advantage line. And he also set up a try which got Ashgrove on the scoreboard? You are some harsh judges honestly.

Royalderry

Peter Burge (5)
Focusing on the positive for a second - congratulations to thd Padua boys - I saw the Ashgrove game and they were without a shadow of doubt the better side. Ashgrove were the standard bearers for so long but they can't rest on their laurels any more. Two years ago at Banyo Padua were unlucky to be beaten by an inferior Ashgrove team (Padua having three in the bin at the same time gifted Ashgrove 2 tries that day, Padua were the dominant side up till that point) and last year were up 22-0 before being bullied and outsmarted by a strong Ashgrove pack who deserved to win. Quite a turn around for the poo and wees as well after they were thumped 93-0 by Iona couple of years ago. Cattle is good this year but it is clear the station is operating well too.

Status
Not open for further replies.