• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
Simple answer to all your questions about marist rugby. Been there done that attitude, it happens to the biggest clubs in sport. The likes of Liverpool and Manchester United, once a dominant force now an average joe. Padua has now proven it's a force to be reckoned with in aic, a sleeping giant. It was only a matter of time that the Franciscans on the hill at kedron would get their jagger. The progression in the last 10 years from padua is incredible. I don't think marist have lost the talent. It's still there, just no pride in the jumper. Something that historically padua was lacking a bit, had the talent just not enough pride. It's looking like splc vs padua will now be the grand final in round 7, how exciting will that be?

Supersid

Allen Oxlade (6)
Padua played very well and deserved to win. Unfortunately for Padua they got thumped in 16A, 15A, 9A and 8A. Not sure about 7 and below. There are a number of strong years coming up for Marist.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Congrates to Padua, honestly did not see that coming.

Bit of a white wash at Wynnum today
Iona claiming the three big ones with ease
1st 60-0
2nds 81-0
16A 32-0 ( game cut short due to injury)

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Lauries and Peters game was the game of the round. Slc down 19-3 at the half and lead with 15 to go 27-26 but two bad mistakes let Peters score twice and Lauries scored with 5 to go. Lauries should have won this one at the end but definetly the game of the round

any news from the 2nds and 16s?

Wynnum Grad

Bob McCowan (2)
Dominant performance by Iona 1st's over SEC. A 10 try romp for a final score of 58 nil. Iona was without Feeney (injured) and took off 1/2 the starting forwards when the score hit 50. Eddies had the bigger pack but the Iona boys dominated at the breakdown and fed quality ball to their backs.
Joe Ward scored 3, Brandt Quinn was exciting in attack and strong in defence, and despite spending 10 in the bin Nathan Marshall was typically everywhere in an aggressive performance.
Does anyone know the Villa/SPC result?

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
Couldn't agree more. Ashgrove completely out muscled in every aspect of the game. No pride in their jumpers.

Woeful referee. But still don't think a good ref would've saved that Marist side. Absolutely no guts from anybody. #13 and #15 blew so many chances, need to learn to pass the ball.

Marist need to bring in a new coach. Fitzy been coaching for 4 or 5 years and hasn't done the job once.

I'm an Ashgrove fan.

Final score 17 - 19 to Padua.
That's a pretty harsh assessment of a team that lost by 2 points. There was plenty of guts from Ashgrove and plenty of blood spilt by both teams. Padua lost two players to yellow cards and then lost their inspirational hooker for the match to injury. Ashgrove's 10 had his face bandaged up like a mummy and to fight back from 10-19 with minutes left showed plenty of courage and heart.They were just out enthused and out muscled by a stronger pack who played composed, controlled rugby for long periods of the game.

Ashgrove's backs were not allowed space and Padua scrambled well when they did make breaks. The much publicised speed of the Ashgrove backline were just not afforded much opportunity by Padua. Perhaps they played a bit sideways at time but whatever they tried, Padua generally had an answer.

All credit to Padua, to their supporters and well done to their First XV, whom I understand were one of only a handful of victorious teams from Kedron on the day.

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
And the referee, whilst a bit whistle happy, wasn't woeful compared to some I've seen at schoolboy matches in recent years. The Padua supporters wanted her outed as a Mount St Michaels' old girl at one stage in the first half when their team was behind, but generally, decisions made were the right ones.

Big game, big pressure. In the end, I think the weight of expectation got to the Marist boys and they had no answer to the Padua game plan.

GoodFootyGuruXV

Frank Row (1)
I would like to start by saying Marist were robbed. First of all Marist dominated every opposite number of Padua in the first half and early in the second too. Second Jon Fitzgerald is not the problem. His efforts over the past 5 years have been phenomenal both on the field and of th field. His dedication to the program has been second to none and has a passion for the college and the boys he works with. If you are going to throw chat about coaching look at the the other schools who are losing by 50+ each week. Fitzgerald has an outstanding record compared to other schools being in top 3 each year. He has been rewarded with efforts by being given the QLD 2 coaching role this year. Lastly to say the boys did not play for the pride of their jumper is disgraceful. Each boy in the Marist First XV respects the jumper and does not take any chance they get for granted. While Padua ended up out muscleling Marist in the last 15 minutes, Marist can keep their heads high as it is only round 3. Padua played a very rugby league style game just hitting it up each side with their size and bullying the defence. The referee was very ordinary and not consistent. Ashgrove should bounce back next week with a dominant performance against Iona.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
I would like to start by saying Marist were robbed. First of all Marist dominated every opposite number of Padua in the first half and early in the second too. Second Jon Fitzgerald is not the problem. His efforts over the past 5 years have been phenomenal both on the field and of th field. His dedication to the program has been second to none and has a passion for the college and the boys he works with. If you are going to throw chat about coaching look at the the other schools who are losing by 50+ each week. Fitzgerald has an outstanding record compared to other schools being in top 3 each year. He has been rewarded with efforts by being given the QLD 2 coaching role this year. Lastly to say the boys did not play for the pride of their jumper is disgraceful. Each boy in the Marist First XV respects the jumper and does not take any chance they get for granted. While Padua ended up out muscleling Marist in the last 15 minutes, Marist can keep their heads high as it is only round 3. Padua played a very rugby league style game just hitting it up each side with their size and bullying the defence. The referee was very ordinary and not consistent. Ashgrove should bounce back next week with a dominant performance against Iona.

Ashgrove definitely wasn't robbed, if anything they may have had the better of the refereeing decisions although both Padua yellow cards seemed to have been earned.

Our guys tried hard, made a couple of bad calls which cost them points, but clearly the better side won on the day.

In my view however, as today showed, Ashgrove has for several years been paying a price for being too small/light in the forwards. For as long as I can remember Ash seem to have had a prototype for their locks and number 8's: tall, mobile and skilful (like McCall and Gavin this year, Enright and McKinnon last year) but not what you would call "big" like a Michael Wood type, and this has left them vulnerable to being bulldozed by much heavier packs like Padua's today.

I realise that, without scholarships, you can't just go out and find big guys, but my perception is that the Ashgrove forwards need to be working harder, and starting earlier, in the gym in an effort to build that extra 5-10kg without sacrificing mobility. Looking at the size difference between the two packs today, Padua have either lifted really heavy in the gym or were just lucky enough to have had one of those years where they must have had at least 5 boys weighing 100kg+.

No disrespect to Fitzy and Macca, who have worked incredibly hard and coached well for several years, but I really hope that Dave Miles takes the reins of the First XV next year - he is a proven winner in whatever he coaches, and I would be very surprised if he didn't place a much bigger emphasis on strength work for any forward wanting to play for him.

jeff bridges

Frank Row (1)
I believe Padua deserved the win, however, ref did miss very late shots on ashgrove 10 and also blew up the scrums as penaltys very inconsistently as she repacked them and gave short arms in the second half however was giving full arms for similar scrums in the 1st. Admiral defense by Ashgrove considering possession but blew very good chances. Still a great game to watch very physical from both sides and great to see a tight game between the best of the AIC, still dont think both sides were playing at potential.

Kyle MIller

Bob McCowan (2)
58-0 to Iona today in Wynnum. An Eddies team that looked like they did not want to be there at all. Iona played some good footy but lacked a few things. Nathan Marshall being sent to the bin mid way through the first half didn't help Iona's causes (having said that he was outstanding) also Iona's number 3,6 and 8 all played a big role in the break down really dominating the bigger Eddie's forwards.

Iona's backs really struggled without Feeney, they lacked his communication and leadership from the back. Brandt Quinn, Joe Ward and there 13 were all standouts for me, with great ball movement from those 3 brilliant to see. Iona really lacking a decent 9 and 10, they are not far from a good backline if they improved in those positions. Eddies had no standouts from where I was, just one of those years I guess. Iona could have won by 90 in the end but just lacked simple skills.

Royalderry

Peter Burge (5)
This is a good, fair assessment - I didn't think the Marist pack was light by any means - if anything they ran out of gas - the big 1 (PNG boy I think) was just too slow - he pulled off some shots but was ineffective around the park compared to the Padua props. I don't get the mentality of the coach witch-hunt - I get the sense Ashgrove think victory is their divine right - this is particularly the case with their parents who are never humble in victory or gracious in defeat - Galloper excepted :) - the First XV coaches though were gracious in defeat despite looking gutted IMO.

Ashgrove robbed by the ref? Pure invention - Padua was unfairly stripped of a hard-won try by a nonsensical ref decision that probably should be looked at by officials - two yellow cards - nothing unexpected - the officials at Ashgrove were never going to hand over the win. As I said previously ref was otherwise good but her readiness to strip a try for a pedantic technical breach by the coaches at least gave an impression of bias towards Marist.
Over.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Is there a limit on how many players from each school can be selected in the AIC team?

No
However history has shown if you are the 7th or more player been selected from one school you will need to be a lot better than the players been from another school with no or 1/2 reps.

Richie Hardox

Frank Row (1)
After reading several posts about Ashgrove v Padua, I come to a few conclusions. There are people who not only have never played the game, they don't understand the game !!! There can only be one winner and Padua got the money this time and deserved it. But comments like Ashgrove have no pride in the jersey, no size, no guts and were dominated. Please get a clue!!! The game was a bash athon and Ashgrove lost by 2 points and missed a penalty 10 -15 mt right of the posts. I watched a slightly smaller pack put their bodies on the line, I saw Mc Call, Wratten, Gavin, Arndell and Midgley get bashed and bash back. Fabris playing with a crook shoulder. Yep they had chances, ball didn't get to the flashy backs enough, that's rugby it doesn't always go according to plan. That's sport !! But to criticise these young men and saying they didn't put in and they lost by 2 points, please give them a break. Young men shattered with tears at full time, knowing that they could have won knowing that they put in. Padua well done they played well, Ashgrove hold your heads high and learn from your loss. I would pick anyone of the Ash forwards in the AIC team, forget this rubbish about size look at how much work the pack did particularly Mc Call Gavin and Arndell.
Great footy both teams and let them be. Well done men. !!

Status
Not open for further replies.