• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2022

Reds Brad

Peter Burge (5)
I haven’t followed AIC much recently but is that the biggest winning score by SLC in a while? Always thought this rivalry was pretty close.
Yeah mate huge dominating win for the ages. After some tough years for SLC what a good reward for effort - and a telling review of ASH who clearly haven't rated the depth ans skill of the people leaving their program. Well now they know

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I haven’t followed AIC much recently but is that the biggest winning score by SLC in a while? Always thought this rivalry was pretty close.

yeah highest Laurie’s score ever against Ashgrove, previous best was 30 in 2001. Equal 3rd biggest margin of 19 alongside the 19-0 win in 1987. Number 1 is 27 and second is 26 from the 1988 team who won 27-0 and 29-3 respectively.

MrMuscles43

Bob McCowan (2)
Padua got up yesterday against St Peter's 21-20 thanks to a game-winning try courtesy of Taylor Rohl, the strong forward wasn't able to play against Iona in the trial but sure made his presence known in round 1

Bluebag

Banned
He's not. Teaching at BSHS, not involved in rugby at all.

A lot of the general MCA community quite at upset at his treatment by the new dictatorship, sorry, hierarchy at the school. If he reads this thread we all wish you and the family well, and a speedy recovery for Mel.

State High have picked up a good un'.

Bledisloe

Herbert Moran (7)
Padua got up yesterday against St Peter's 21-20 thanks to a game-winning try courtesy of Taylor Rohl, the strong forward wasn't able to play against Iona in the trial but sure made his presence known in round 1
Yeah real game of halves out at St. Peter’s yesterday. Padua really struggled with a lot of dropped ball and looked very disjointed in the first half mainly due to the pressure st p were putting on them. St Peter’s were very clinical and their fullback was on song with all his tactical kicks, he was their best player by far during the game. They even had a player yellow carded in the first half but still managed to score while he was off. However what ever was said at halftime in the Padua camp must of worked, maybe Phil Gould was contacted to do a halftime speech. All of sudden Padua were keeping possession and that then forced st p to lose discipline and two more yellow cards were dished out. This took its toll on st p as Padua kept putting points on the board. Things came down to the wire with 2 min to go and Padua holding a one point lead. St p had their chances but Padua held on to win a very exciting finish to the game. Padua best on field was their front rower and scrum half. Next week will be a another tough game in st Laurie’s good luck to all the lad’s.

Reds Brad

Peter Burge (5)
Related by chance?

Ashgrove have a strong rugby history that is well beyond one coach.
Hahaha, Definitely not related. You can see by my posts where my loyalty lies - SLC through and through. I know many people in rugby circles who cannot praise Miles highly enough. From an opponents perspective, it has been hard not to notice the success and impact he has had wherever he goes. Both at Marist (Three 1st xv premierships)and SEC where he won 2 1st xv premierships and beat Marist on many occasions. Was there a rich history at SEC to explain this? His time at Eddie’s would prove the impact one person can have

Totally agree Marist has a really rich history but not recently - except for when Miles was coach and led the rugby program. One shared premiership for Marist in the last decade before three in a row - that were coached by Miles

Of course it is never about just one person however…facts are facts. You also need a good head of sport and director or rugby (who were also D Miles). Everywhere he has gone has been successful and when they lose him everyone who thought it was easy faces the hard truth of who was behind their success. The “experts” at Marist are facing that now and it is not just the 1st xv. The whole program will struggle this year from what I saw on Saturday and with Miles and also a few other experienced coaches not in the program anymore the signs are not good unless they fix it.

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hahaha, Definitely not related. You can see by my posts where my loyalty lies - SLC through and through. I know many people in rugby circles who cannot praise Miles highly enough. From an opponents perspective, it has been hard not to notice the success and impact he has had wherever he goes. Both at Marist (Three 1st xv premierships)and SEC where he won 2 1st xv premierships and beat Marist on many occasions. Was there a rich history at SEC to explain this? His time at Eddie’s would prove the impact one person can have

Totally agree Marist has a really rich history but not recently - except for when Miles was coach and led the rugby program. One shared premiership for Marist in the last decade before three in a row - that were coached by Miles

Of course it is never about just one person however…facts are facts. You also need a good head of sport and director or rugby (who were also D Miles). Everywhere he has gone has been successful and when they lose him everyone who thought it was easy faces the hard truth of who was behind their success. The “experts” at Marist are facing that now and it is not just the 1st xv. The whole program will struggle this year from what I saw on Saturday and with Miles and also a few other experienced coaches not in the program anymore the signs are not good unless they fix it.

Brilliant post RB. Nailed it.

Success not just in rugby but T&F too. Watch the decline in those 2 sports at MCA now Milesy has gone. With the new head of sports a soccer aficionado things look grim. Maybe Mcmahon oval will have the rectangular posts before we know what has happened.

For the record, I laugh when people talk about a rugby program at MCA though. It doesn't exist. Trust me. There is a culture, exemplified by playing numbers and results through the B's, C's D's etc.. often putting on cricket scores against other schools, and that still happened against SLC on the weekend, at least in the older age groups, but a program? Please. That is for the GPS schools, MCA does not have the budget for that. Miles however always had the 1sts prepared. Results speak for themselves. Like you said, look what happened when he was at SEC.

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
In saying that, my god SLC were very very good yesterday. The score probably flattered MCA in the end. SLC were obviously confident and composed from the opening whistle, had an obvious game plan and stuck to it. They may have the cattle, but are extremely well coached as well.

The Marist boys need to dust themselves off and forget about what happened. No shame in losing to that mob. SLC are the team to beat and will put on some big scores if other teams aren't ready.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)

Know the blokes who coached with him ?

Reds Brad

Peter Burge (5)
Then you will know what I mean about being more than one man ….
I acknowledged it was never about one man in my last post.

The blokes were all different but the one constant was Miles
Let's add the three National titles he won but they were probably because of his assistants?

One of his assistants coached the team last year and lost. One again on Saturday - enough said.

Good games this weekend though, SLC vs the poo Brown I believe?

Supersid

Allen Oxlade (6)
Stop stirring the pot. Each school goes through ups and downs with results. The MCA year 11 and 12 cohort weren't expected to be very strong. The Laurie's side was outstanding. Strong forwards, well drilled and two outstanding centres. Four years ago it was doom and gloom for Laurie's rugby. They were beaten 97-0 in a trial against Marist. Excellent turn around in their firsts program.

The current Marist Coach is a premiership winning coach for GPS at QLD Premier Level. Hardly a mug and on paper the best in the AIC competition.

It's schoolboy footy FFS.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I acknowledged it was never about one man in my last post.

The blokes were all different but the one constant was Miles
Let's add the three National titles he won but they were probably because of his assistants?

One of his assistants coached the team last year and lost. One again on Saturday - enough said.

Good games this weekend though, SLC vs the h poo Brown I believe?
It’s just nuts to say “ wouldn’t have happened in so and so’s day” as if SLC have never beaten MCA before and the coach gets to choose how good the opponent is. There is a poorly kept secret to being a good coach , and that is have a good team to coach. In MCA you get that more often than not. Qld age divisions , same story.

In the GPS rugby competition Nudgee have a rich history of winning premierships , but they don’t win every year. Very rarely aren’t in the race, but don’t always get the chocolates. Sometimes there are better teams.