• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU fee structure change for 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Wow, I'm amazed. Will that mean a considerable drop in activity at a grassroots level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Yeah, I don't think the deferment is from the ARU though. I think the SJRU and NSWRU are paying to reduce the levy - and you don't even have a state levy to contend with! Been doing our sums and our club has a liability when each junior steps onto the field of something like $105. We will have to get thy money upfront - I don't think the club responsibly can carry any debt for its players. It's going to be a big ask for a lot of parents. Seniors is more like $200.

You are correct about those circumstances, but - and I know this is a selfish viewpoint - it matters less to me who is wearing the brunt of it and more that the members I am responsible to will have a better deal - assuming we're getting the same deal in the bush.

If the initiative came from the ARU, I would be happier. But this will have to do me and I'll look on the bright side.

As far as what you have to deal with, I don't envy you. QRU nailed their colours to the mast early on this one. I'm not sure you're going to get anything like the support we get from NSWRU at the moment.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
You are correct about those circumstances, but - and I know this is a selfish viewpoint - it matters less to me who is wearing the brunt of it and more that the members I am responsible to will have a better deal - assuming we're getting the same deal in the bush.
Are you confident of retaining the DO in your district if that deal saw $1.1M cut from the NSWRU budget? I find it fascinating how this thing has evolved. We're really at the pointy end now, our sign on is next weekend and our season starts first week of March.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Are you confident of retaining the DO in your district if that deal saw $1.1M cut from the NSWRU budget? I find it fascinating how this thing has evolved. We're really at the pointy end now, our sign on is next weekend and our season starts first week of March.

I don't know what to think about that. I don't think NSWRU are about to start off-loading full time DOs. I notice the recruiting drive for casual DOs has slowed, though.

I guess we'll just have to see how it pans out.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
to be fair I didn't think the parents who put their kids into junior rugby union where that stretched that an extra $30 or whatever the figure is, is going to change what sport they put their kids into.

IMO junior participation comes down to two things.
- availability and structure - there has to be a club nearby.
- what the kids want to play - this is influenced by tv and parents.

The price on the fees I think everyone is making a big deal out of... I mean really if they need the cash they need the cash.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
to be fair I didn't think the parents who put their kids into junior rugby union where that stretched that an extra $30 or whatever the figure is, is going to change what sport they put their kids into.

The price on the fees I think everyone is making a big deal out of. I mean really if they need the cash they need the cash.
That's been covered about 5 times on this thread. It's not quite that simple. There's a lot more to it than just a fee increase.

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)

The price on the fees I think everyone is making a big deal out of. I mean really if they need the cash they need the cash.
The additional costs for parents & players is one thing but it was extra insurance fees for nothing extra, extra player levies for nothing extra, no communication on why or how, new rego system requiring payment in full & up front, Loss of control by clubs of rego fee receipts & no explanation or guarantees of timing of receiving net rego fees from an almost broke organisation, strong competition from cashed up sports, etc etc.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
b1cc29447685db4b712c2c1faee89814.jpg

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Not sure where this leaves SJRU and other unions not using RugbyLink - according to Bill they will not be sanctioned or insured

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Not sure where this leaves SJRU and other unions not using RugbyLink - according to Bill they will not be sanctioned or insured

I understand that NSWRU have sourced their own insurance on a per team basis and won't be utilising the ARU policy. NSWRU will also be using Buddha - if push comes to shove, I'm not that sure that the ARU can do much at all. IMO they've over-reached (a la Abbott and co) and can't bring themselves to back down or compromise.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Bill should proof read his letters before he sends them out.

I am hoping his first paragraph was meant to acknowledge the angst these new taxes are causing the rank and file members.

If not,he should not be bragging to people that he understands his own policy.

QH, in his letter he states that all state bodies have agreed to fall in line.
So wouldn't that mean that NSWRU would not be providing alternative insurance to it's members & affiliates?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Bill should proof read his letters before he sends them out.

I am hoping his first paragraph was meant to acknowledge the angst these new taxes are causing the rank and file members.

If not,he should not be bragging to people that he understands his own policy.

QH, in his letter he states that all state bodies have agreed to fall in line.
So wouldn't that mean that NSWRU would not be providing alternative insurance to it's members & affiliates?

The second paragraph, indeed the whole letter could come out of a Yes Minister episode. It seems at face value that what he's saying doesn't square with what NSWRU and SJRU are saying.

Maybe he's just agreed to whatever the individual states have asked for so he can say he's reached an agreement.

As I understand it, the ARU have cut development funding to NSWRU by $1.1 million. This was supposed (?) to be offset by the NPF collected from clubs in NSW. NSWRU have it seems agreed to absorb the cut and only collect $10 per head from the SJRU clubs anyway (preseumably all other juniors in the state too). This is what ARU and NSWRU have agreed to, which is not what the Pulveriser originally proposed.

NSWRU have categorically stated that they will source their own insurance on a per team basis and seem to be proceeding on this basis.

SJRU clubs are using Buddha for 2015 registrations.

Either Pulver knows something that we all don't, or at least part of his letter is fictional or at least deluded.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
SJRU website isn't very productive. I was hoping to find a release that clearly outlined their path forward. If be interested to know how they accessed their insurance and whether it was through the NSW govt. not sure if the Qld govt operate a similar scheme.

Druid

Herbert Moran (7)
b1cc29447685db4b712c2c1faee89814.jpg

Does the ARU sincerely believe that the best way to garner support for the Wallabies (and the ARU) and generate participation in the game to threaten and bully 4 - 18 yr olds (non-school only) to not be able to play a game of Rugby in Sydney. That's ~10K - 15K of players that they are happy to for go to another sport. And all this because they tried to sneak through a bunch of additional fees and a competition management system over the xmas break.

If the ARU are going to withdraw 1.1 million of funding from NSW anyway and the SJRU and NSWRU have come to an agreement on fees, why are the ARU so focused on the implementation of Rugby Link. Is it so they can sell the data and keep all of the profits? If not, the what?

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Does the ARU sincerely believe that the best way to garner support for the Wallabies (and the ARU) and generate participation in the game to threaten and bully 4 - 18 yr olds (non-school only) to not be able to play a game of Rugby in Sydney. That's ~10K - 15K of players that they are happy to for go to another sport. And all this because they tried to sneak through a bunch of additional fees and a competition management system over the xmas break.

If the ARU are going to withdraw 1.1 million of funding from NSW anyway and the SJRU and NSWRU have come to an agreement on fees, why are the ARU so focused on the implementation of Rugby Link. Is it so they can sell the data and keep all of the profits? If not, the what?

Rugby Link has internal services such as text messaging for teams which will be taken up en masse by people who don't realise they can get those features for free elsewhere. Of course, the ARU gets a cut.

The second reason they're so big on it is the sunk cost. It's also the third implementation of database in recent years (MRA and RA before it) .But they have forgotten that the issue with all of these systems is not the technology. It's the data and it's management. As they are fond of saying in application development (as well as many other places) Garbage In - Garbage Out.

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
The ARUs primary objective is to own the names, email addresses and every other fact they can get about who us playing rugby or who is a parent of a rugby player so they can then communicate marketing and anything else directly for minimal cost. The fact that RugbyLink has not been proven as a club, team and competition management system is if little consequence to the ARU. They don't care of the likely disruption it will cause when comps start (or earlier). It's all about their needs.
Also, how can any organisation say that another organisation us not allowed to discuss or do business with a privately owned insurance company? Im not a lawyer but i doubt the ARU have the power to make this demand and Surely this is an attempt to restrain trade under Australian Trade Law?

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
SJRU website isn't very productive. I was hoping to find a release that clearly outlined their path forward. If be interested to know how they accessed their insurance and whether it was through the NSW govt. not sure if the Qld govt operate a similar scheme.

My understanding is that the NSWRU had agreed to similar terms already with Gow Gates to that of previous years so it is a bit late for Billy boy to demand that no one talks to them!

Status
Not open for further replies.