• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paige Turner

Frank Row (1)
It’s easy to point fingers at refereeing standards and as you mentioned “WA's Stop Brisbane getting a bonus point" tactics . Yes the WA boys do/did play hard as they had a stinker of a schedule plus it was a must win game FOR BOTH TEAMS. I am pretty sure that the Brisbane White players aren't all angels either. :)

Observation 1: There were some existing injuries to Brisbane White star players (see your and Mr_Trash's comments on pg +-90 of this thread). Without any specifics can we not attribute some of the “4” injuries to pre-existing injuries, also it was game 5 of the pool games?

Observation 2: I saw footage and +_ 17 mins into 2nd half White return a poor clearance kick from inside their 1/4. WA retrieved the ball near the center spot, a WA player ran down the right hand side of the field. A BrisW player tried to tackle the WA player, had poor body position and you can clearly see that his head was on the wrong side of the tackle. He went down injured and taken off the field. WA also got a penalty as White infringed at the breakdown point. Is this also one of the “4” injuries mention in your post?

Observation 3: Your " WA’s don’t let Brisbane get a bonus point" opinion is not all correct. WA had to win and either team had to get a bonus point. Do the permutations and you will see that if WA had won and Brisbane got a bonus pt (ie loss by 7pts or less) then WA would have won pool based on elimination rules. Three teams on 19pts, three head to head winners and WA on a larger Pts Diff.

As others have previously mentioned Bris W made some poor tactical decisions and this plus being a pressure must win game for both could have contributed to the end result.

You've made some good points Animal, however I note that you missed commenting about the intentional late hits by WA players which were not picked up on by the ref nor warnings given to players. This also applies to any of this type of play by White players, if any as there were none that I noticed. Seems cards were issued other games as mentioned on this page by Stratosph3R3.
I can't answer your question at observation 2 re player injuries as don't know players on that team. Re "(see your and Mr_Trash's comments on pg +-90...)", you must have me confused with someone else as wasn't made by me. I do recall the comment you refer to by Mr_Trash. May I ask where did you obtain footage of the game? Just I would be interested to look at some footage U17 games.
I was looking at the results online for U15 and U17. Seems as though there would have been a 3 way tie for 1st WA, Gold Coast and Brisbane White all on (19) if WA didn't get 4 try bonus point last game and Brisbane White got within 7 for bonus point and Gold Coast already on 19 after North Coast. I wonder who would have gone through to semis with that scenario?
I think nearly full time at Ballymore both U15 and U17 semis. I wonder how the games are going. Best of luck players.

Animal

Allen Oxlade (6)
Final Score Northern Conference u17:
Brisbane 26 WA 24.

Brisbane had a blitzkrieg 1st half and led 23-5 HT. WA clawed back the score and crossed over for a converted try with seconds to go taking the lead 24-23.

Brisbane were awarded a restart penalty which they successfully converted.
Well done Brisbane. WA so close yet so far.

Animal

Allen Oxlade (6)
You've made some good points Animal, however I note that you missed commenting about the intentional late hits by WA players which were not picked up on by the ref nor warnings given to players. This also applies to any of this type of play by White players, if any as there were none that I noticed. Seems cards were issued other games as mentioned on this page by Stratosph3R3.
I can't answer your question at observation 2 re player injuries as don't know players on that team. Re "(see your and Mr_Trash's comments on pg +-90.)", you must have me confused with someone else as wasn't made by me. I do recall the comment you refer to by Mr_Trash. May I ask where did you obtain footage of the game? Just I would be interested to look at some footage U17 games.
I was looking at the results online for U15 and U17. Seems as though there would have been a 3 way tie for 1st WA, Gold Coast and Brisbane White all on (19) if WA didn't get 4 try bonus point last game and Brisbane White got within 7 for bonus point and Gold Coast already on 19 after North Coast. I wonder who would have gone through to semis with that scenario? .

Injuries: Apologies, you were only replying to a comment made by Mr_Trash and made no specific mention of the injuries.

Late hits: I specifically did not comment on this as I did not see the game, nor did I have sufficient footage. My gripe relates to comments where there is an unsubstantiated association between undisciplined play and injuries. I used the footage I saw as an example.

Footage: Bits and pieces of video on personal FB pages. Sorry cant help out there.

Scenario: WA recieved a BP for score 3 plus more than BrisW (4 to1). If for example WA won with no BP, Bris got a BP then yes all three teams would have been tied on 19 log pt each.

Based on the elimination rules below I think WA would have qualified.
(i) Three Head to Head winners so go to next (BW beat GC, GC beat WA, WA beat BW)
(ii) Can only be applied if two teams in tie and not three, not sure if you can apply to multiple games.
(iii) WA had greatest PD.

2.5 Determining Pool Positions
In the event that two (2) teams are equal in their pool at the end of the pool match series, their positions will be determined using the following ordered protocol: -
(i) The winner of their head to head match in that pool;
(ii) The team that scored the greater number of tries in that match;
(iii) The team with the greater differential of “for” points compared to “against” points in all of their pool matches;
(iv) The team scoring the greater number of tries in the pool matches;
(v) If the above cannot distinguish between teams, the Competition Director or Nominee will conduct a “draw from a hat” to determine the Final

Mr_Trash

Stan Wickham (3)
Apologies if I misled anyone with my comments- I can say for certain that one of the injuries was caused by a late hit- the reserve half was concussed by the one late hit that was caught by the ref and the player binned for it. There were two other concussions- one the winger Animal referred to and another I can't say either way.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Final score Northern Conference U15: WA 26 Bris 10
WA dominated game from start and maintained a healthy.
I agree to a point

WA clearly had size , athletic and talent advantage but for what is effectively a State Team their decision making just wasn't consistently good enough

They should have easily put another 20 points on

Credit to Gold ( again to a point ) for fighting hard and showing their trademark grit and determination and had they made their last conversion there is a try in it with 6 or 7 minutes to play ( which in the remaining period ) WA had a decent passage and crashed over to put it beyond doubt.

Funny team Gold.

Their set pieces in the games I saw of them didn't really come together .....they weren't especiially dominant at the breakdown ......or have massive consistent power to punch the line ....( good occasional efforts here and there ) but they still found a way to get it done and managed to find a collective doggedness to hang around in games

Well done on a good campaign Gold - and all QLD Teams for that matter . It should set all the boys up well for strong School and Club seasons

Old Red

Allen Oxlade (6)
Good point, WA are basically a state side and were pushed by regional teams and beaten by another, so in that alone the Qld squad should be very good, in saying that I think they could almost pick 2 teams, going to be some tough called for selectors tho, plenty of lads put their hand up this year.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I think it will be fairly predictable - probably half absolutely legit and half people will scratch their heads and bitch about

The one thing I would hope for is that Rugby players get picked or young guys that have played League and have made a demonstrable commitment to Rugby moving forward .

This is the problem with Rugby Talent ID / Pathway Guys .....they kid themselves that they can stay in the hearts and minds game with League kids / families who may not be in tournaments like this for the right reasons

Due Diligence isn't just about watching a few games - if we're going to get excellence right in our Pathways program , Development personnel and Selectors need to do the right background checks and make a call whether kid and family actually truly gives a shit about the game and are committed to their Rugby .

Anyone think League puts up with this "we'll let you know" type attitude in how they run Junior Development ?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Also .....QLD will be cobbled together whereas WA , ACT and Victoria have been preparing for a long time.

Personally , I think the talent is spread too think in South East QLD and likely in greater Metro Sydney - The Game's Power Bases - all for the sake of say $100K in take ( 2 x teams too many in SEQ and Greater Metro Sydney ) against $50K in cost delivery for a $50K notional profit

Is $50K really worth it to the ARU at the expense of diluting the quality of your pathway offering ?

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)
I don't believe WA has anywhere near the same playing numbers or rugby playing schools that QLD or NSW do or for that matter perhaps even Brisbane, numbers probably comparable to Gold coast...but I might be wrong.

I believe that being in camp for a week and having 3 or 4 months to prepare for "Carnival" type Rugby (6 games in 8 days..) was a huge advantage WA had over their opposition, not a hinderance

Its a State team sure, but please don't use that as an excuse...but give them their dues, well planned and thought out campaign, and there is some real talent in there as well

Old Red

Allen Oxlade (6)
I don't believe WA has anywhere near the same playing numbers or rugby playing schools that QLD or NSW do or for that matter perhaps even Brisbane, numbers probably comparable to Gold coast.but I might be wrong.

I believe that being in camp for a week and having 3 or 4 months to prepare for a "Carnival" Rugby (6 games in 8 days..) was a huge advantage WA had over their opposition, not a hinderance

Its a State team sure, but please don't use that as an excuse.but give them their dues, well planned and thought out campaign, and there is some real talent in there as well
I think more that people are proud of their regional teams taking it up to a state team, don't deny the young lads that.

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
I think it will be fairly predictable - probably half absolutely legit and half people will scratch their heads and bitch about

The one thing I would hope for is that Rugby players get picked or young guys that have played League and have made a demonstrable commitment to Rugby moving forward .

This is the problem with Rugby Talent ID / Pathway Guys ...they kid themselves that they can stay in the hearts and minds game with League kids / families who may not be in tournaments like this for the right reasons

Due Diligence isn't just about watching a few games - if we're going to get excellence right in our Pathways program , Development personnel and Selectors need to do the right background checks and make a call whether kid and family actually truly gives a shit about the game and are committed to their Rugby .

Anyone think League puts up with this "we'll let you know" type attitude in how they run Junior Development ?
GO , this has not stopped you from recruiting R L players in the past!,and u have touched on right/ real reasons for playing in the Gold Cup more then once,take all of them out and there won't be many left running around for " whatever" the reason is!.

Status
Not open for further replies.