• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ashes 2021-22

AdelaideRugby84

Chris McKivat (8)

“Up to” a $17 million gap in revenue. You’re right, the Boxing Day test pulls massive crowds partly because it’s an icon, who knows if that would be replicated for a repeat test in the same series…
Shane Warne was waffling on Fox Cricket that having a day/night Test in Melbourne could be a test run to make the Boxing Day Test a pink ball affair.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Was there today at the game and it was awesome. We were basically error free. That first ball will be iconic. And Cummins is just bloody awesome.

but I get home and decide to relive the highlights and watch them in the CA ap. It’s got the test commentary and I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Warne’s commentary of that first wicket was pathetic. “It was just a half volley on leg stump and he missed it”.

What a dick. That’s taking whatever has issue with Starc to a whole new, and unprofessional level.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Was there today at the game and it was awesome. We were basically error free. That first ball will be iconic. And Cummins is just bloody awesome.

but I get home and decide to relive the highlights and watch them in the CA ap. It’s got the test commentary and I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Warne’s commentary of that first wicket was pathetic. “It was just a half volley on leg stump and he missed it”.

What a dick. That’s taking whatever has issue with Starc to a whole new, and unprofessional level.
Yep same in our house . Nobody in our lounge room could work out what Warne was on about.

The delivery looked like a cracking late in swinger that normally bowls RH batsmen , difference was it got the lefty round his pads. Instead of giving Starc any credit , Warne took a swipe at the batsman for missing a half volley even though his co-commentators were talking about the late swing. All while the crowd was going bananas. He must really not like Starc.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
He's got the best cricketing brain as far as tactics and strategy goes that I've ever heard. But when it comes to ongoing commentary and filling air, he's a complete and utter buffoon who needs to just STFU already.
As a mate was saying at work this morning - he's got cricket smarts, but he's not intelligent. He knows what's going on (well with that ball probably not), but he doesn't know how to communicate it in a way that is informative and positive.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

It went on for so much longer than just the wicket too. He was still going on about it overs later and then multiple times through the day. Warne insisted it was a half volley and didn't swing.

1639003261760.png

When they were summarising the innings later in the day Warne said: "Starc gave away a few too many runs and won't be happy..." and said that Cummins and Hazlewood were clearly the pick of the bowlers.

He then talked about Jos Buttler being the only English batter who looked any good but then didn't mention that he was out caught behind off Starc.

He has backed himself so hard into a corner of saying that Starc is rubbish and should be dropped and is completely unwilling to change his tune on it.

Sure, that first ball might get hit for 4 by a batter who is set and feeling comfortable, but guess what? An inswinger over 140km/h that swung substantially on the first ball of a test series is going to cause issues to lots of opening batters.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
It went on for so much longer than just the wicket too. He was still going on about it overs later and then multiple times through the day. Warne insisted it was a half volley and didn't swing.

View attachment 12818

When they were summarising the innings later in the day Warne said: "Starc gave away a few too many runs and won't be happy..." and said that Cummins and Hazlewood were clearly the pick of the bowlers.

He then talked about Jos Buttler being the only English batter who looked any good but then didn't mention that he was out caught behind off Starc.

He has backed himself so hard into a corner of saying that Starc is rubbish and should be dropped and is completely unwilling to change his tune on it.

Sure, that first ball might get hit for 4 by a batter who is set and feeling comfortable, but guess what? An inswinger over 140km/h that swung substantially on the first ball of a test series is going to cause issues to lots of opening batters.
Right, I think all of the bowlers did great, bowled tight.
Not sure where Warney's getting his info from, but Hazlewood had 2/42, while Starc had 2/35. Any fast bowler hates having runs scored off them (I know I do), but I'd still be ok with those figures if I was Starc.

Hazelewood did what Hazlewood does - he holds down and end and restricts runs (his four maidens were a good sign of that).

I agree that he's backed himself into a corner and is too proud to admit it.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Warnie's a muppet. Fantastic bowler and great tactician, but he can't get past his colossal ego and pride and that's a failing on his part. Once he's made his mind up about something or someone you can't change it, in spite of any amount of evidence to the contrary.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
They've missed a few chances today, Warner bowled on a NB, the dropped catch, and now a burnt review.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Don Bradman!

Must be fairly short odds on Root owning it by the end of the Series.

So DB made seven ducks in 70 completed Test innings but 42 scores of 50+ & 29 of 100+ in the 73 times he got off the mark. I wonder if he ever looked back on any of the pre-Hollies ducks & thought "if only I'd made a few that day"? I'm thinking probably not, or at least not publicly.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Warner out to a poor shot, but good innings nevertheless.

The Aussie bowling looks good for the series with Jhai Richardson as backup, and others. But there are some chinks in the batting lineup.

Specifically, Harris opening and Head at 5 don't give me any confidence at all.

And now Green out first ball, not playing a shot. He still is the future though, but neither Harris nor Head look like they'll ever be any more than average test players at best. Occasional outstanding innings mixed in with a lot of poor efforts.

Don't know what can be done about the opening spot. Not many options as far as I can see. But I would take Kurtis Patterson at 5 in place of Travis any day.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Our batting will keep England interested all series for mine. If one of the big guns (Warner, Labushagne, Smith) gets a low score the Poms will be right in every test match.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Head at 5 don't give me any confidence at all.

Don't know what can be done about the opening spot. Not many options as far as I can see. But I would take Kurtis Patterson at 5 in place of Travis any day.

Good reverse mozz here BR. (in general I agree with you though).

Harris is the one I really don't understand though. He's had heaps of chances and his record is terrible.

AdelaideRugby84

Chris McKivat (8)
Warner out to a poor shot, but good innings nevertheless.

The Aussie bowling looks good for the series with Jhai Richardson as backup, and others. But there are some chinks in the batting lineup.

Specifically, Harris opening and Head at 5 don't give me any confidence at all.

And now Green out first ball, not playing a shot. He still is the future though, but neither Harris nor Head look like they'll ever be any more than average test players at best. Occasional outstanding innings mixed in with a lot of poor efforts.

Might be time to reconsider now. Travis closing in on a ton.